Antidepressant puts newborns at risk, study says

Old June 11th 04, 07:04 AM
Steve

Default Antidepressant puts newborns at risk, study says

sorry but I must plead ignorant. I guess you're too damn intelligent and
esoteric for me.

--
Steve

I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that
something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive,
you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is
if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the
good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, Raisins, 2003

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:49:00 -0700, in alt.support.depression.medication

"jake"
wrote:

:
:"Steve" wrote in message
rs.com...
:
:
: everyone knows you shouldn't take AD's while pregnant.
:
:Sadly this is NOT the case...as a a mere glance in the pregnancy groups
:would tell you..
:
:
: Are you just
: reminding us again and again for the hell of it?
:
:this is not a static group and women..epecially those under the influence

of
:SSRIs
:do need reminding of this and to beinformed of the latest research and
:news...
:for the babies sake..
:
:you have some weird objection to this?
:
:
:
: --
: Steve

Yeah he's in love with a manic Jewish Celexa freak and new mom named

Naomi.

Old June 11th 04, 07:11 AM
Steve

no it appears quite electrically charged in here. Especially when it comes
to this issue.

--
Steve

I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that
something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive,
you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is
if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the
good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, Raisins, 2003

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:37:04 GMT, in alt.support.depression.medication

"Steve"
wrote:

:everyone knows you shouldn't take AD's while pregnant. Are you just
:reminding us again and again for the hell of it?

Do you think this is a static group?

Old June 11th 04, 08:23 AM
jake

"Steve" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
at times I object to you and the ever growing group of alarmists that seem
to be sucking the life out of this NG. But, then again, I guess I'm just
chirping in with my 2 cents like you seem so capable of doing on a regular
basis. Oh I forgot. You have some kind of a inside scoop to the truth in
here. Is the air different from you stand?

you have never seemed a stupid man to me..

since when are the facts of a matter "alarmist" or "suck the life out of a
group"?
this is a newsgroup concerned with anti-depressant medications not a club
for drug addicts to
engage in denial of basic facts..
particularly where infants are concerned... peddling self-serving lies and
nonsense is inexcusable..

the facts are that antidepressants put newborns at risk as the posters
subject line suggests ..
what possible motive can you have for objecting to this fact being made
known to the public as
the FDA's Pediatric Subcommittee wishes?

They met on WEDNESDAY to discuss this..
you cannot get MORE topical that that!!!

do you imagine THEY are "alarmists??????

on they contrary they reccomended NOT issuing a public advisory

mothers have a right to know..

http://www.fdaadvisorycommittee.com/...ittees/Anti-In
fective+Drugs/060904_pediatric/060904_SSRIneonatalR.htm

SSRI Antidepressant Pregnancy Exposure Risks Should Be Communicated In
Patient Labeling, Subcmte. Says

Antidepressant pregnancy exposure risks should be described in patient
labeling, FDA's Pediatric Subcommittee of its Anti-Infective Drugs Advisory
Committee recommended June 9.

"The point here is we've all been talking about giving the information out
to the doctors, and that's important, but you also have to give it to the
mother. The mothers have to have this information given to them the best
that they can have," subcommittee member Judith O'Fallon, PhD, Mayo Clinic,
said.

The subcommittee said that the potential risks of prenatal exposure to
selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors should be
communicated to patients even though a conclusive link to toxicity has not
be determined.

FDA has received reports of neurological, neuromuscular and autonomic
effects in newborns whose mothers were taking SSRI/SNRIs such as Prozac,
Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Zoloft and Luvox.

The side effects of agitation, irritability, trouble feeding etc. could be
the sign of a withdrawal syndrome, FDA said.

The subcommittee recommended against the issuance of a public health
advisory by FDA for fear that it would unduly scare patients away from
depression therapy based on inconclusive information.

The subcommittee also supported physician education as a means of
communicating the potential risks to newborns from SSRI/SNRIs but
recommended against the issuance of a letter to health care providers due to
the intricacies of the risk/benefit consideration involved.

FDA is proposing class labeling for SSRI/SNRIs on prenatal exposure be added
to the pregnancy section.

The proposed precaution states: "Neonates exposed to SSRI/SNRI late in 3rd
trimester have developed AE requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory
support, tube feeding. AE may arise immediately upon delivery."

Adverse events that have been reported include respiratory distress,
cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty,
vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness,
irritability, and constant crying, the precaution will state.

The dosage and administration section may also advise tapering SSRI/SNRI
treatment late in the 3rd trimester, FDA said.

To watch an archived webcast of this meeting, click the button below. To
order videotapes & DVDs, email or call
800-627-8171.

http://www.iian.ibeam.com/events/fdcr001/index.jsp?ei={29B22469-CAEE-440E-BC
9E-207A859B302F}

--

wrote in message
Antidepressant puts newborns at risk, study says

Mary Vallis
National Post

Taking the popular antidepressant Paxil while pregnant can harm

newborn
babies,
new Canadian research suggests.

Doctors at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children suspect babies can

suffer
from
"discontinuation syndrome" -- withdrawal symptoms -- if their

mothers
used
the
drug during the last three months of pregnancy.

In their study, 12 babies born to 55 women who took Paxil during the

third
trimester suffered from complications in their first weeks of life,
including
respiratory distress, hypoglycemia and jaundice. All of the babies
recovered
within two weeks.

On the other hand, only three babies of 54 born to a control group

endured
similar complications. Their mothers quit taking Paxil by the second
trimester
or took another drug altogether.

"This highly suggests that paroxetine [Paxil] exposure near term may
compromise
fetal and natal health," said Dr. Adriana Costei, who presented the
research at
the Pediatric Academic Societies annual meeting in Baltimore

yesterday.

"The fact that the adverse events were brief, without other

underlying
pathology, further supports drug exposure as the mechanism for the

adverse
effects."

The solution may seem straightforward -- pregnant women should not

take
the drug
immediately before their due dates -- but the reality is much more
complicated,
said Dr. Gideon Koren, the lead researcher and a professor of

pediatrics,
pharmacology and medicine at the University of Toronto.

"The context is very serious," he said. "These are not conditions in

which
you
can easily tell women to stop taking the drug."

Women often take Paxil because they suffer from clinical depression.
Switching
to another drug does not always ease their symptoms and quitting the
treatment,
even for just a few months, can have dire consequences, Dr. Koren

said.

He referred to the case of Suzanne Killinger Johnson, the Toronto
psychologist
who leaped in front of a Toronto subway train with her baby in her

arms
two
years ago. She had apparently stopped taking antidepressants because

she
feared
the medication could poison her son through her breast milk.

Paxil belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin

reuptake
inhibitors
(SSRIs) that also includes Zoloft and Prozac. They all work by

adjusting
the
amount of serotonin in a person's brain, but each drug has a

different
"half-life," meaning it stays in a person's body for a different

length
of
time.

Paxil leaves the body more quickly than others and can "jolt" the

nervous
system
if patients miss doses or suddenly stop their treatment. Past

studies
have
shown
people taking Paxil suffer from withdrawal reactions more often than
people
taking other SSRIs, Dr. Koren said.

The babies' adverse complications are probably their version of
withdrawal,
because the drug readily enters the placenta when a patient is

pregnant,
he
added.

The researchers say their study is the first to link higher rates of
perinatal
complications with Paxil.

Three Canadian class actions have been filed against GlaxoSmithKline

in
the past
week alleging thousands of Paxil users suffered withdrawal reactions

when
they
attempted to reduce or discontinue their daily doses of the drug,

and
that
the
company failed to warn users of the drug's addictive nature. The
allegations
have not yet been proven in court.

A statement released yesterday by GlaxoSmithKline acknowledges
discontinuation
symptoms may occur in some Paxil patients, but stresses they are

usually
mild,
short-lived and can be minimized by slowly reducing the dosage over

time.

"Although animal studies have not shown any teratogenic or selective
embryotoxic
effects, the safety of Paxil in human pregnancy has not been

established,"
the
statement notes. "Paxil should not be used during pregnancy unless

the
potential
benefit to the patient outweighs the possible risk to the fetus."