Getting through the first few months with twins

Old November 11th 03, 10:28 PM
Elissa

Default Getting through the first few months with twins

Since there are so many experienced mom here, I thought I'd ask for some
advice. My husband and I recently welcomed our twin boys home from the NICU.
We also have a three year-old daughter who attends preschool. The twins left
the hospital on a four-hour feeding schedule but haven't been sticking to it at
all - sometimes they go five hours betwen feeding, other times they're hungry
two hours after eating. I knew the first few months would be hard but I
wouldn't mind a little more consistency. Should I be attempting to schedule
their day more? They were born seven weeks premature and I'm not sure what I
should expect them to be doing at this point - they were born about six weeks
ago. They have each gained two pounds since being born and sleep in their own
room, and are being formula fed (I just stopped pumping - it was becoming too
overwhelming for me).

I could really use some tips for getting through the first few months with
twins. Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
----------
Elissa - Mommy to Rebecca Meagan 9/6/00, Joshua Emmett &
Jacob Bryant 9/26/03.
"Before I got married, I had six theories about bring up children; now I have
six children and no theories." - John Wilmont, Earl of Rochester

Old November 11th 03, 11:47 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Rhiann1048 wrote:

I'm sorry to say, but IMO 4-5 hours between feedings for newborns is too long a
stretch. Three hours was about the longest time my daughters would go between
feedings at that age (I also should add that I spend years working with infants
and this was typical for other children as well) and in the evenings they would
'cluster feed' where it might be every hour or two.

There are two schools of thought on scheduling. I would be firmly in the camp
against it.

They sound like they are doing exactly what they should be at this age. FWIW
the first night home we woke them every 3 hours for their feedings and thought
this is *easy*. Then a day or two later that went out the window and we just
fed them when they were hungry. If that meant every other hour sometimes? So
be it. They are newborns.

My biggest piece of advice is to accept as much help as you can these first
months and get as much sleep as you can!

I whole-hearteningly agree with Lori! :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old November 12th 03, 02:43 AM
Cindy Senger

Our girls were born seven weeks premature, also and came home after two weeks.
I tried the pumping thing and gave up pretty early-- it was just too much to
handle. Our girls came home on a three-hour feeding schedule around the clock.
I think they were allowed to sleep as long as five hours at night before we
had to wake them up-- but they were pretty much like clockwork during the
night. We didn't really have a hard and fast schedule for the girls but they
generally went 2-3 hours between feedings. The only advice I can give you is
to feed both of them at the same time as much as possible. If one wants to eat
after only 1.5 hours feed them both. Even if the less hungry one doesn't eat
as much, it will save your sanity-- somewhat. Or, if you can't or don't want
to do this during the day at least do it at night-- you will get more sleep
this way. My ped told us to do this when we brought our girls home and I think
it was the most valuable advice we received. They probably won't fall into any
really predictable pattern during the day until around five or six months. I
know that doesn't sound encouraging at all-- but I bet they will start sleeping
more at night way before that. Not necessarily through the night, but longer
stretches.

Its hard and exhausting. We've all been there. Come here to vent and regain a
bit of sanity. Even if we can't provide all the answers, we can at least say
we've been there, we feel for you, and it does get better. Hang in there and
accept every bit of help you are offered. If someone offers to "help" assign
them a task and don't be vague. I need two loads of laundry done today. Bring
dinner on Saturday. Play with my preschooler this afternoon. Let me take a
nap!!

Hang in there!

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
ospam says...

Old November 12th 03, 04:29 AM
Twinzmommie

I agree with everyone else on taking whatever help is offered. I made myself
crazy thinking I had to do everything. The sad part is that the whole infant
stages is a blurr.

We were told to not let more then 4 hours go by without feeding, after ours
came home from the NICU.

I had a hard time feeing mine at the same time, because they were both
difficult to burp + my girl was colicy.

Try and find a way to sleep for at least 3 consecutive hours each day. Even if
it requires someone's help. For me, this time usually came after we ate dinner
and before the last feeding of the night.

For me, things just got a bit easier ever 3 months that passed. Hopefully this
will be the same for you.

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael
A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/twinzmommie/myhomepage/brag.html"Michelle's
Little Sweeties/A

Old November 12th 03, 07:59 AM
Seth Jackson

On 11 Nov 2003 22:28:44 GMT, ospam (Elissa) wrote:

[...]

We didn't start a feeding schedule till our kids were 3 months old.
We fed them on demand, and at first, they demanded to be fed every 2
hours or so, 3 if we were lucky. They never went 5 hours between
feedings till they were 2 months old, and then only at night.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...lypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

misc.kids FAQ on Childhood Vaccinations, Part 1/4 [email protected] Info and FAQ's 3 February 16th 04 09:58 AM
Friend pregnant with twins in hospital :( Jill Pregnancy 6 February 2nd 04 08:15 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6? Laurie General 9 August 12th 03 07:02 PM
Solids before milk at 7 months? H Schinske Breastfeeding 9 July 31st 03 04:21 AM