Getting through the first few months with twins

Old November 12th 03, 07:59 AM
Seth Jackson

Default Getting through the first few months with twins

On 11 Nov 2003 22:28:44 GMT, ospam (Elissa) wrote:

Since there are so many experienced mom here, I thought I'd ask for some
advice. My husband and I recently welcomed our twin boys home from the NICU.
We also have a three year-old daughter who attends preschool. The twins left
the hospital on a four-hour feeding schedule but haven't been sticking to it at
all - sometimes they go five hours betwen feeding, other times they're hungry
two hours after eating. I knew the first few months would be hard but I
wouldn't mind a little more consistency. Should I be attempting to schedule
their day more? They were born seven weeks premature and I'm not sure what I
should expect them to be doing at this point - they were born about six weeks
ago. They have each gained two pounds since being born and sleep in their own
room, and are being formula fed (I just stopped pumping - it was becoming too
overwhelming for me).

We didn't start a feeding schedule till our kids were 3 months old.
We fed them on demand, and at first, they demanded to be fed every 2
hours or so, 3 if we were lucky. They never went 5 hours between
feedings till they were 2 months old, and then only at night.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...lypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net
Old November 18th 03, 09:58 PM
Captain Freaky Pants

[...]

I could really use some tips for getting through the first few months with
twins. Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

My boys were born at 28 weeks, 2 lbs 12 oz and 2 lb 3 oz. They came
home after 10 1/2 and 12 weeks in the NICU.

http://www.sbcglobal.net/atomicpossum/boys/boys.html

Jon came home a week and a half before Will, so we got a little break
in time with just one baby. They would usually let us know when they
were hungry at night--after the first week or so, we were more relaxed
about the nighttime schedule and didn't panic if a feeding was a
little late. One good thing about being in the NICU for so long for
us was that we learned that they aren't as fragile as you think, and
that the sacred numbers game is pretty much just a game. If it
comforts you to have the rigid schedule, that's fine, but don't let
rigid numbers given to you by whoever do more harm to you than good.

Jon gets straight formula, Will has rice cereal added to his bottle,
supposedly to help with his reflux problem. They've gradually
increased their feedings, now Jon takes 6-8 oz every 4 hours or so and
will takes 5-6 (with extra calories from the rice).

After the first six weeks or so, they got down to one wake-up a night,
and later Jon started sleeping through almost every night. Will has
just started to sleep through almost every night.

Frankly, as i am home with them all the time now, I feed them
*roughly* on a four hour schedule, but generally on demand--they're
smart boys, they know how to make their needs known when they're
hungry. Some times they'll demand more than their normal feeding,
which is not a problem, and I'll make them an extra ounce or two or
feed them at the third hour--when they're going through a growth
spurt, they'll eat CONSTANTLY and you'll barely have time to deal with
them. They're on a rough schedule but I find with two headstrong boys
that deciding what they'll do and when is pretty much like trying to
herd cats.

They're gaining weight wonderfully and out-growing their prematurity
just fine. They're 14 lb 12 oz and 13 lb 6 now, at six months
(unadjusted age). The doctor's happy, we're happy, and they're happy.
My opinion is to take the numbers game with a grain of salt and do
what works best for the five of you.

Stay-at-home-Dad

Old November 18th 03, 10:02 PM
Captain Freaky Pants

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:58:01 GMT, Captain Freaky Pants
wrote:

On 11 Nov 2003 22:28:44 GMT, ospam (Elissa) wrote:

My boys were born at 28 weeks, 2 lbs 12 oz and 2 lb 3 oz. They came
home after 10 1/2 and 12 weeks in the NICU.

http://www.sbcglobal.net/atomicpossum/boys/boys.html

Sorry. That should be

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/atomicpossum/boys/boys.html

Old November 18th 03, 10:34 PM
KimandJuan

Default Stadter boys

The boys are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing their story with us. It made
me cry but I suppose everything has turned out well in the end. It made me
realize how incredibly lucky we were.... It could have been so much different.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

Old November 19th 03, 12:50 AM
Ellen Kmetz

I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing the pictures of your beautiful
boys! I am so happy they are thriving. I love the sunglasses

Take care,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old November 19th 03, 08:42 PM
Elissa

Your story has brought me to tears! I'm so happy that your boys are doing
well. They are beautiful babies and true miracles for having survived and
thrived through everything they faced. Seeing the photos brought back memories
of my babies in the NICU (even though they've only been home with us for five
weeks!)

Thanks for posting.
Elissa - Mommy to Rebecca Meagan 9/6/00, Joshua Emmett &
Jacob Bryant 9/26/03.
"Before I got married, I had six theories about bring up children; now I have
six children and no theories." - John Wilmont, Earl of Rochester

misc.kids FAQ on Childhood Vaccinations, Part 1/4 [email protected] Info and FAQ's 3 February 16th 04 09:58 AM
Friend pregnant with twins in hospital :( Jill Pregnancy 6 February 2nd 04 08:15 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6? Laurie General 9 August 12th 03 07:02 PM
Solids before milk at 7 months? H Schinske Breastfeeding 9 July 31st 03 04:21 AM