What do I do? Clingy child

Old November 19th 03, 10:23 PM
Andrea

Default What do I do? Clingy child

Jordan has had Mommy-itis so bad lately. She wants me to go eveywhere with
her, including preschool. On school mornings she tells me she doesn't want to
go to school and then she cries when I drop her off at school. On Monday I had
to take Madison to the dr. for a follow-up visit while Jordan was at school.
Her teachers said she cried on and off all morning, but that she had been fine
the last time she had gone to school without Madison (which was a few weeks
ago). Last Friday my MIL and dh's aunt picked the girls up from school and I
thought the girls would be thrilled to have their Grandma & aunt pick them up,
but they said that Jordan just screamed for me until they brought her home.
She doesn't want her Daddy to do anything for her, or to kiss or hug her. I
don't know how to help the situation. It tears me up to see her get so upset.
What do I do? I thought maybe she was getting sick, but she's been acting like
this for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

TIA,
Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3/22/00
Old November 20th 03, 09:39 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Hi Andrea,

I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but I want you to know I feel for you. I
know all kids go through those clingy stages. So she cries at school even with
Madison there? Is it only at school? Did something happen that upset her?
I'm sure it's just a stage...I sure remember DD wanting NOTHING to do with DH
or anyone else, I just can't remember how old she was. I hope it gets better
soon.

Hugs,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old November 20th 03, 10:58 PM
shirley

I found that kids go through all kinds of different stages including being
clingy. That was Chris. I have this theory - I'm sure if someone really
looked at research it wouldn't probably add up BUT, it's my theory that kids
each have cups to fill, personality, security, all kinds of things. If the
cup is full, they progress to the next level. If it's not - each child
fills it up at their own rate or spills some that needs to be replaced -
they need to stay at a level to complete the cup. Sounds corny but I also
found you can't force the adjustment or filling. Chris never wanted me to
leave pre-school or kindergarten and first grade (here I had to unglue him
from my body). He actually came out of his shell around the middle of first
grade. Now, he's a normal, very involved kid who is not shy at all. So,
I'd keep a patient outlook and I even joined Chris in the classroom until
after circle time in preschool. It's hard to watch them go through this
stage but it too shall change.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95