Dill and gas

Old April 25th 06, 04:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Dill and gas

Hi!

Has any of you guys ever heard of boiling dill seeds and giving that
water to the baby is supposed to help the baby with gas?

Thanks very much!!!!!!
Maya

Old April 25th 06, 06:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

maya writes:
: Hi!

: Has any of you guys ever heard of boiling dill seeds and giving that
: water to the baby is supposed to help the baby with gas?

: Thanks very much!!!!!!
: Maya

Nope. I've heard of gripe water, which I believe is made from fennel,
and I've heard of mom drinking fennel seed tea, which worked with us.

Larry
Old April 25th 06, 07:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

maya wrote:

Has any of you guys ever heard of boiling dill seeds and giving that
water to the baby is supposed to help the baby with gas?

My 8 month old LOVES dill pickles (screams when they start to fall
apart and we have to take them away). I haven't noticed more or less
gas, though, since she's been eating them. But if your baby has
started solids, you might just try straight pickle. It's good for
teething - it gives them something cold and firm to sink their gums
into. Just be vigilant and if she breaks off a piece, make sure you
take it out of her mouth, because the skin is too thick for them to
swallow. They can swallow the mushy inside part with the seeds,
though. We give her Claussen Kosher dill spears.

Amy

Old April 25th 06, 08:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Luke is 7 weeks. Good idea about the pickles though for when he starts
solids. Thanks. :-)
I tried fennel tea and gripe water but it made him real fussy. Friend
of mine told me about dill and she said that it worked for her baby
like a charm but she does not remember exactly the dosages.

Old April 26th 06, 01:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

maya wrote:
Luke is 7 weeks. Good idea about the pickles though for when he starts
solids. Thanks. :-)
I tried fennel tea and gripe water but it made him real fussy. Friend
of mine told me about dill and she said that it worked for her baby
like a charm but she does not remember exactly the dosages.

This is similar to gripe water, but is made with the dill and other herbs.
I use it for Ronnie.

http://www.herbsmd.com/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=1907

Jo
Old April 26th 06, 05:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

maya wrote:
Luke is 7 weeks. Good idea about the pickles though for when he starts
solids. Thanks. :-)
I tried fennel tea and gripe water but it made him real fussy. Friend
of mine told me about dill and she said that it worked for her baby
like a charm but she does not remember exactly the dosages.

I'm pretty sure that the first 3 or 4 pounds my daughter gained was a
direct result of all the Mylecon drops we gave her, and had nothing to
do with nursing (I had low supply).

They really work.

Amy

Old April 27th 06, 12:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I will give gripe water one more chance. Mylicone just does not work
for our boy at all, its like we have not given him anything.

Old April 27th 06, 12:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks very much Chookie!!!!! :-)))

Old April 27th 06, 06:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

maya writes:
: I will give gripe water one more chance. Mylicone just does not work
: for our boy at all, its like we have not given him anything.

Have you tried drinking fennel tea yourself? Make a quart with 1 heaping
tablespoon fennel seeds at about 3 PM, let steep 30 minutes, and try to
finish the pot by 10 PM.

Larry
Old April 28th 06, 12:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I did for few days and he was very irritable untill I stopped drinking
it for some reason. So I stopped.