reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

Old March 2nd 04, 06:36 AM
Daye

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:50:14 -0800, Kerry J. Renaissance-McAdams
wrote:

I find that attitude so strange. There was no way I could find
breastfeeding sexual -- the moment I let down I got switched into
mommy-mode, which made actual sexual breast-play with my husband while
lactating difficult, to say the least, since he would sometimes
trigger let-down.

When I bf'ed, my breasts were a no-go zone. They were aching and
leaking. I wanted no one (except the baby) near them.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old March 2nd 04, 06:37 AM
Daye

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:07:07 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

But in both cases, anecdote isn't data. I know plenty of breastfed kids who
are quite sickly and plenty of formula-fed kids who are healthy as
proverbial horses.

I know mine was anecdotal. I just wanted to point out though that
just because your breastfed baby seems healthier does not mean that
all formula feed babies are sickly.

Old March 2nd 04, 07:44 AM
Daye

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:37:55 +1100, Daye wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:07:07 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

But in both cases, anecdote isn't data. I know plenty of breastfed kids who
are quite sickly and plenty of formula-fed kids who are healthy as
proverbial horses.

I know mine was anecdotal. I just wanted to point out though that
just because your breastfed baby seems healthier does not mean that
all formula feed babies are sickly.

That "your" was a general you, not directed at you, Circe. Sorry for
not making that clear.

Old March 2nd 04, 08:51 AM
Daye

Default OT I just saw the pics! ( reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding)

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 04:11:32 GMT, "Coccinella"
wrote:

Daye,
I just saw the pictures of Jayan and Leopold. They are both so cute!

Thank you! I like to think that they are the most beautiful children
in the world.

Old March 2nd 04, 11:36 AM
Donna

"Kari" wrote in message

I can see her point honestly. I FF my first and yes there were times if I
didnt have a bottle pre-made, it took a little longer than usual and she
would be screaming her head. Not for long, usually for 4 or 5 minutes

while
I washed a bottle & nipple, popped open a can, measured it out, etc. Or if
the bottles were in the fridge and had to wait for it to heat up (which I
never used the microwave to heat them) and she was starving. This only
happened during middle of the night feedings but still..

The point was, no need to wait for breast milk, which is true.

Not really. I breast fed for 7 or 8 months, during which I traveled for
work. And those days I was out of town, my baby had to wait LONGER for a
bag of frozen millk to heat than she would have had to wait for formula.
shrugs So what. Formula, frozen milk, milk on tap, jesus, these are
babies, not fragile electronic equipment. They don't damage THAT easily.
Really.

I just really hate the subtext that "I breastfeed, so I am a better mother."
that always seems to come out of these threads. Me, I did both, and I am
the same mother that I was nursing and formula feeding. That's why therapy
exists. grin

Donna

Old March 2nd 04, 11:40 AM
Donna

wrote:

I find that attitude so strange. There was no way I could find
breastfeeding sexual -- the moment I let down I got switched into
mommy-mode, which made actual sexual breast-play with my husband while
lactating difficult, to say the least, since he would sometimes
trigger let-down.

When I bf'ed, my breasts were a no-go zone. They were aching and
leaking. I wanted no one (except the baby) near them.

You know what, Daye? I still have that reaction. I weaned last summer, and
I still don't want my husband messing with them. I hope I get over that,
but I really don't know that I will.

sigh

Donna

Old March 2nd 04, 03:51 PM
Michelle J. Haines

In article ,
says...

They are not equal. They are just choices. Sure, breastfeeding is
better. There are facts to prove that. However, it isn't the only
option. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, and the mother makes the
decision to formula feed.

Which is fine (with me). Well, I'll admit, when someone comes up to
me spouting a pack of hooey about how breastfeeding is this and
breastfeeding is that and my milk went sour and blah-blah-blah, I
mentally roll my eyes. And I think everyone should at least
seriously attempt breastfeeding, in absence of a pretty serious
medical problem.

I think what horks me off, and what irritates others, is then you get
people going, "Oh, I chose to breastfeed, but it doesn't make any
difference. My brother/father/sister/mother/great-aunt's-poodle
bottlefed and S/HE's just fine!" when that's obviously statistically
wrong. And then go around with said pack of hooey, proclaiming how
utterly difficult it is and discouraging others from breastfeeding.

I don't have a problem with people making choices. I have a BIG
problem with people refusing to be honest about the consequences of
their choices. I'm sick of hearing "I formula fed and my child is
perfect, so it didn't matter!" when you don't know that yet. Someone
needs to have the balls to say, "Yes, I know that I put my child at a
higher risk of illness and obesity, but for blah-blah reason, I felt
that in weighing the positives and negatives this was still the best
choice."

Or even the balls to say, "I chose to formula feed because I was
given poor information and didn't want to listen to the right
reasons." I'll own up to that one. It's why I weaned Katrina at
seven months.

Michelle
Flutist
--
Drift on a river, That flows through my arms
Drift as I'm singing to you
Old March 2nd 04, 03:56 PM
Marie

n Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:39:57 -0500, Nan wrote:
You're making a serious backwards assumption, here. How do you know a
FF mother hasn't clearly thought all of this out, and concluded that
what she's doing *IS* the best that *SHE* is capable of???
I find your arguments seriously flawed.

Because the majority of the time, it wasn't thought out...what
(unselfish) thought is put into the decision to bottlefeed from the
beginning? If you're capable of breastfeeding, then you do it. There's
no "give it your best", you either do or don't. I just don't have a
politically correct opinion about breastfeeding as most people do.
Marie
Old March 2nd 04, 04:00 PM
Nikki

wrote:

I find that attitude so strange. There was no way I could find
breastfeeding sexual -- the moment I let down I got switched into
mommy-mode, which made actual sexual breast-play with my husband
while lactating difficult, to say the least, since he would
sometimes trigger let-down.

When I bf'ed, my breasts were a no-go zone. They were aching and
leaking. I wanted no one (except the baby) near them.

You know what, Daye? I still have that reaction. I weaned last
summer, and I still don't want my husband messing with them. I hope
I get over that, but I really don't know that I will.

sigh

Donna

Mine are still off limits. Honestly they have never been very sexual for me
but I didn't mind if they were for dh :-) Now it actually drives me nuts
and kills the mood for me so he has to stear clear! I actually have an urge
to reach out and slap him or physically push him away if he messes with
them, the aversion is that strong :-(

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)