Update and two questions

Old February 4th 05, 06:27 PM
Robert Powell

Default Update and two questions

Hello I've been off the list for a while - ever since our nuchal
translucency scan - but everything is going well, touch wood, I was going to
post a piccy of '3D junior' but for some reason Clare didn't want to share
her insides with the entire world - can't think why *grin*. We've been
slowly getting on with on our pregnancy dominated, hectic lives and
concentrating on helping Clare's brother and his family emigrate to New
Zealand, but now I've time to breathe again I though I'd share a quick
update with those who care.

We've got our 20 weeks scan on the 15th Feb, which is something we can't
wait to see after the amazing results from the 3D nuchal scan and Clare
(should I refer her to as DW in this group? I'm useless at acronyms!) is
still not really showing, and still having no real problems apart from the
need to sleep more than usual and more wind than a summer in Florida during
tornado season!

We're still somewhat in shock but the panic is gone and were slowly coming
round to the sheer joy and happiness of what lays in store.

The sales are on and we've seen the Travel system we want BUT Clare comes
from a very superstitious family and we've been told NOT to buy the system
because it will tempt fate. Now me I'm from a very level-headed family and
it grieves me to miss the sale price just because of irrational fears,
especially when the non-sales price makes my bank manager cringe!

However that's neither here nor there I suppose and unless a member of this
group knows a way to un-hex a baby-buggy (Someone remind what century we're
living in again) before the birth, looks like we'll being making the bank
manager whimper!

Not certain if Clare has felt the baby move, as this is our first she
doesn't know what's wind and what's movement, however we've bought a baby
listener - non-doppler type - and I've spent many a happy hour deciphering
unborn baby gurgles from Clare's overworking digestive tract.

Which brings me to my questions:

1) Is this sheer amount of wind - that escapes as and when it chooses -
usual for pregnancy and is there a non invasive way of providing some relief
to my beleaguered and beloved wife?

2) From your own experiences, how can you tell a definitive baby movement?

my regards and admiration to all (yes Todd as well)

Bob

Old February 4th 05, 06:46 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Robert Powell wrote:

The sales are on and we've seen the Travel system we want BUT Clare comes
from a very superstitious family and we've been told NOT to buy the system
because it will tempt fate. Now me I'm from a very level-headed family and
it grieves me to miss the sale price just because of irrational fears,
especially when the non-sales price makes my bank manager cringe!

Put it on layaway ;-) Many baby stores will allow you to
buy things for the baby and they will hold it until after the baby
is born for just this reason. Some will even deliver all the stuff
to you!

1) Is this sheer amount of wind - that escapes as and when it chooses -
usual for pregnancy

Yep.

and is there a non invasive way of providing some relief
to my beleaguered and beloved wife?

Hmmm...not that I know of, but perhaps someone else will
have some wonderful advice.

2) From your own experiences, how can you tell a definitive baby movement?

A lot of first timers only realize they're baby movements
in hindsight. Most people describe them like little bubbles or
butterfly wings or something like that. They'll be in the right
place (still relatively deep in the pelvis). They're not painful
or big bumps or thumbs at this stage--just a little tickle.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 4th 05, 06:56 PM
Todd Gastaldo

"Robert Powell" wrote in message
[...]

Bob,

Since you mentioned me, I feel compelled to say that I too - on occasion -
have suffered "more wind than a summer in Florida during tornado season" -
but in my case no one ever told the world about it. : )

Then again, most of the world in the vicinity doesn't need to be told. It
is only slight exaggeration to say that when Todd eats a certain food
present in Mexican food the problem is so bad there is a city ordinance
pending which forbids Todd Gastaldo from eating that certain food at
restaurants or buying that certain food at the local supermarket - LOL!

Women who have had babies - regardless whether they suffer overt damage to
the anal sphincter can suffer "incontinence to flatus" - and that might be
making things harder for your wife.

BTW, congratulations - another little one on the way!

Todd

Old February 4th 05, 07:13 PM
Wildwookie

Hi Bob,

I'm expecting our first at anytime (6 days past due) Hopefully someone
else can provide advice regarding the wind. I wasn't to bad
fortunately.

As for the movement. I was told that what I was feeling could not be
the baby moving as it was too soon for a first time baby (about 13+
weeks from what I can remember), however I kept getting a feeling that
I can only describe as having a little fish swimming about in my
tummy. It was definately the baby as overtime these little fish
flutters grew bigger and bigger and eventually became kicks & thumps
(and now huge squirms).

Denise

Old February 4th 05, 08:34 PM
Kelly

Continued congratulations!

On the wind issue-I think that is a normal problem for many. Where the baby
is hanging out puts pressure on the lower GI tract-thus causing some sort of
havoc in there. There is also less room, so food and gas gets trapped
sooner.

How would it be if *you* bought the Travel system without anyone knowing?
It sounds like Clare and her family aren't rushing out to get it so the
chance of a duplicate purchase are slim. I have felt similar superstitions,
but then again, I also don't like waiting until last minute, especially if
there is a good deal to take advantage of!

Kelly

Old February 4th 05, 08:50 PM
Greta

Bob

With regards to the baby movement, I would like to offer that about 5
weeks ago, when I was 15 weeks pregnant, I began to feel what I thought
was movement from my baby. Up until about a week agao I couldn't tell
the difference between the baby and other things (like gas which maybe
you can relate to). Then all of a sudden I could tell with absolute
certainty when it was the baby and it is just amazing!! My husband can
feel little movements here and there from the outside. I figure that
he will be able to feel the movements with certainty very soon, just as
I was able to tell the difference so quickly. Everything in pregnancy
changes/progresses so quickly that in no time at all you will be able
to say "that's my baby moving!"
Good Luck to you and your wife!

From Greta

Due with baby #1 July 1st

Old February 4th 05, 10:01 PM

-
usual for pregnancy and is there a non invasive way of providing some

relief
to my beleaguered and beloved wife?

Try not to snicker about it. Act like you can't hear it. I am so
embarassed by gas, even in front of my husband, that I will leave the
room (even if I think he's sleeping) to pass wind. This is my hang up,
and nothing that he has done has caused it, but if I get to the point
where I can't control it, and he starts to giggle, I'll have to go stay
with my aunt for the rest of the pregnancy like the southern girls used
to do. I wouldn't be able to bear it.

Besides, if you allow her the liberty of passing it without shame and
embarassment, she's less likely to explode.

Amy

Old February 4th 05, 10:17 PM
Jo

Robert Powell wrote:

1) Is this sheer amount of wind - that escapes as and when it chooses

-

usual for pregnancy and is there a non invasive way of providing some

relief

to my beleaguered and beloved wife?

Try not to snicker about it. Act like you can't hear it. I am so
embarassed by gas, even in front of my husband, that I will leave the
room (even if I think he's sleeping) to pass wind. This is my hang up,
and nothing that he has done has caused it, but if I get to the point
where I can't control it, and he starts to giggle, I'll have to go stay
with my aunt for the rest of the pregnancy like the southern girls used
to do. I wouldn't be able to bear it.

Besides, if you allow her the liberty of passing it without shame and
embarassment, she's less likely to explode.

Amy

LOL it's so funny to hear how others feel about 'flatus'... Since
being pregnant I am much more competitive with my husband, and it's
great! Around 20 weeks though, it was quite painful often. Wind
would get trapped somewhere up high and to the side, and it took a lot
of maneuvering from side to side to 'unleash' it. It's more impressive
when it all comes out out once, though. Sometimes if I'm trying to
control it (say, out shopping, or at work) the baby plays a joke on me
and just kicks me in the wrong place and lets it out for me. Not so
good. My solution - if I'm going anywhere where it has to be controlled
or I would DIE of embarrasment, then I wear a V-string (thong for those
in the US). It kinda cuts it in half and makes it silent

I second the person who said for Bob to put the buggy on lay-buy.
Either that or buy it and keep the reciept incase someone has done the
same thing... if it's kept in the box I'm sure it would be ok to return
it, but find out those rules before you do it.

HTH!

Jo (RM)
Old February 4th 05, 10:17 PM
Dilligaf

wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Powell wrote:
1) Is this sheer amount of wind - that escapes as and when it chooses

-
usual for pregnancy and is there a non invasive way of providing some

relief
to my beleaguered and beloved wife?

Try not to snicker about it. Act like you can't hear it. I am so
embarassed by gas, even in front of my husband, that I will leave the
room (even if I think he's sleeping) to pass wind. This is my hang up,
and nothing that he has done has caused it, but if I get to the point
where I can't control it, and he starts to giggle, I'll have to go stay
with my aunt for the rest of the pregnancy like the southern girls used
to do. I wouldn't be able to bear it.

FFS, if you can't fart in front of your husband, then you have no humour in your marriage! I find
it very very hilarious! A few weeks ago, I'd be farting every 5 minutes or so and it went on for
over 24 hours! The smell was horrendous. but that was what was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny,
oh and plus the noise echoed right through our 3 storey house!!

Lighten up about it!

Besides, if you allow her the liberty of passing it without shame and
embarassment, she's less likely to explode.

As my Dad would say... "It's better to fart and have it stink a little, than to hold it in and be a
cripple"

Amy

Old February 4th 05, 11:55 PM

Dilligaf wrote:

FFS, if you can't fart in front of your husband, then you have
no humour in your marriage!

Well, that's a sweeping judgment to make, considering that you don't
know me, or us. Maybe I had a traumatic childhood incident involving
farting, you don't know. For your information, we laugh every day. We
laugh all the time. When I had my first (vaginal) ultrasound, he said,
"Do you think that if we move her arms we can get better reception on
that thing?" THAT is humor. Brilliantly subtle and witty. Potty
jokes are for three year olds.

I find it very very hilarious!

I find people who think flatulence (and "poop" and "pee pee" for that
matter) is humorous are juvenile and lacking in refinement.

A few weeks ago, I'd be farting every 5 minutes or so and it went on

for
over 24 hours! The smell was horrendous. but that was what was
soooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny,
oh and plus the noise echoed right through our 3 storey house!!

That's so nice for you, I'm glad it's working out.

Lighten up about it!

I prefer more subtle forms of humor, thanks. I'll bet you think "blue
collar comedy" is a hoot, too.

Besides, if you allow her the liberty of passing it without shame

and
embarassment, she's less likely to explode.

As my Dad would say... "It's better to fart and have it stink a

little,
than to hold it in and be a cripple"

I think we can all be reasonably assured that no one has ever actually
become a cripple from failure to pass wind. Your father sounds
charming. Can he also open a beer bottle with his teeth?

Amy