Query : Late Period

Old July 22nd 04, 07:58 AM
Kazh

Default Query : Late Period

How long after a period is late should you wait before taking a PG test =
to get an accurate result ?

According to my records my period was due sat 17th but on my BBT my =
ovulation (and 2x positive HCG sticks) say I ovulated on day 18 not 14 =
of my 28 day cycle. Would that mean my period SHOULD have been 4 days =
late also ?=20

In either case I am either 5 days late or just 1 day.

TIA

--=20
Kazh=20
TTC baby #3 for me #1 for hubbie
TTC Since August 2003

Old July 22nd 04, 09:03 AM
Jenrose

I got my positive 9 days after ovulation, 5 days *before* my period was due.
Most tests are accurate the first day of the missed period. By 18 days post
ovulation (4 days after period is late) almost all are.

Oh... And go by ovulation. If you know when you ovulated, when a doc asks
you when your last menstrual period was, lie through your teeth and give him
a date 14 days prior to ovulation so you don't have to argue about when you
ovulated. Unless they're chart-reading docs.

Jenrose

--
Kazh
TTC baby #3 for me #1 for hubbie

Old July 22nd 04, 12:36 PM
Kazh

Thanks. My doc knows I'm doing charts, I actually VISITED her the DAY of =
my ovulation for my BP check. She said '' GO STRIAGHT HOME'' when I =
showed her 2 positive ovulation sticks !!!

can I ask which PG test you used ?

I'm using standards ''dip stick'' types as opposed to ''clear blue'' =
brand names and one test yesterday said negative.

Any ideas on the better / more accurate ones to use ?

Old July 22nd 04, 02:04 PM
Sue

I tested roughly 1-2 days after I was late. I used the Early Pregnancy Test
things that you buy from the store. They were positive all three times.
Personally, I wouldn't lie to your care giver about your LMP. If you cannot
trust your doctor with the information, then you need to find a new one that
you can trust and one that won't be induction happy if you are a few days
late. I was a week late with my second child and my doctor didn't even bring
up induction. He did, however, want me to have a NST to make sure everything
was going well.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 22nd 04, 03:13 PM
ted

snip

Oh... And go by ovulation. If you know when you ovulated, when a doc asks
you when your last menstrual period was, lie through your teeth and give him
a date 14 days prior to ovulation so you don't have to argue about when you
ovulated. Unless they're chart-reading docs.

Jenrose

snip

I second this! My cycles are always off. So I go by the ovulation date always!
Old July 22nd 04, 03:22 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:58:43 +0100, Kazh wrote:

How long after a period is late should you wait before taking a PG test
to get an accurate result ?

In my case I get a positive 1 to 2 days after my period is late, which is
generally about 2 weeks after ovulation. I've good experience with First
Response, but also heard the cheap Walmart tests are pretty good.

According to my records my period was due sat 17th but on my BBT my
ovulation (and 2x positive HCG sticks) say I ovulated on day 18 not 14
of my 28 day cycle.

Hehe, I guess you mean LH-sticks? hCG is the pregnancy hormone...

Would that mean my period SHOULD have been 4 days late also ?

No, not necessarily. The phase between ovulation and your period is called
the luteal phase (or LP). In normal women the length of the LP can vary by
a couple of days, but is generally about 14 days. Longer than 18 days
(with high temps!) implies you're most likely pregnant, but shorter than
11 days can point to potential problems. The fertilized egg needs about 10
days to properly implant.

If you always ovulate late in your cycle, you may have a short LP and
still have 28 day cycles. A short LP in itself is no reason to worry.
Plenty of women have LP of 11 days and get pregnant without problems. Or
perhaps your LP is normal length, e.g. 14 days, and this cycle you may
have ovulated later than normal. In that case, you can expect your period
on day 32 insteady of 28.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old July 22nd 04, 07:22 PM
Elitsirk

"Kazh" wrote in message ...
How long after a period is late should you wait before taking a PG test
to get an accurate result ?

According to my records my period was due sat 17th but on my BBT my
ovulation (and 2x positive HCG sticks) say I ovulated on day 18 not 14
of my 28 day cycle. Would that mean my period SHOULD have been 4 days
late also ?

In either case I am either 5 days late or just 1 day.

TIA

How long is your luteal phase usually (the time between ovulation and
bright red bleeding at the start of your period)? Your period is due
that many days after you ovulate (so if you ovulated on day 18 and
typically have 14 days till your period, then by day 33 you're late,
not day 29). Do you usually have 28 day cycles, or are you assuming
that you are supposed to? Most women don't fit the supposed 28 day
cycle. And the luteal phase can last anywhere from 10-16 days or so,
depending on the woman (if it's 10 or less, then you might want to
talk to a doctor since I think that can mean you could have trouble
getting pregnant).

I tested at exactly 1 day late (O'd on cd15, typical luteal period =
14 days for me, so I tested on cd 30). I used a First Response, which
claims that you can test up to 4 days before your period's due (though
I waited till I was late at DH's request..). I used first morning's
urine, and had an immediate, very dark line.

Some people have to take several tests before one comes back positive
for whatever reason. If you're taking BBT's then, according to TCOYF,
18 high temps in a row almost always means you're pregnant. I don't
think I could have waited that long (4 days after I knew my period
would come--no way!), but if you do get to that point and the home
tests are still negative, then go to the doctor for a blood test.

Good Luck!
--Elit.
#1 due 9/20/2004
Old July 22nd 04, 08:08 PM
Elle

"Kazh" wrote in message ...
How long after a period is late should you wait before taking a PG test
to get an accurate result ?

According to my records my period was due sat 17th but on my BBT my
ovulation (and 2x positive HCG sticks) say I ovulated on day 18 not 14
of my 28 day cycle. Would that mean my period SHOULD have been 4 days
late also ?

In either case I am either 5 days late or just 1 day.

TIA

How many days past ovulation are you? I've gotten positive as early as
11DPO but it's best to wait a couple more days to try to avoid a false
negative.

Good luck!

Elle
Old July 22nd 04, 08:20 PM
Kazh

Immense help, thank you.............Will be off to be a first response =
PG tomorrow...........

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message =
news On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:58:43 +0100, Kazh wrote:

How long after a period is late should you wait before taking a PG =

test
to get an accurate result ?

In my case I get a positive 1 to 2 days after my period is late, which =
is
generally about 2 weeks after ovulation. I've good experience with First
Response, but also heard the cheap Walmart tests are pretty good.

According to my records my period was due sat 17th but on my BBT my
ovulation (and 2x positive HCG sticks) say I ovulated on day 18 not 14
of my 28 day cycle.=20

Old July 22nd 04, 08:29 PM
Kazh

From day 1 of my period to day 1 of next period is always 28 =
days................well until the last 3 months they seems to be going =
haywire !!

In may I was 4 days late but did have a period, June was spot on 28 day =
cycle and this month has yet to arrive.................

My BBT - I ovulated on the 7th (2 positive LH tests agreed) but my temp =
dropped for 2 days AFTER then WAS up for a few days. yesterday and today =
have dropped to normal levels. So I'm none the wiser. I think a first =
response test is the way for me, I'm too eager to know !!!

6th 97.1=20
7th 97.9=20
8th 97.3=20
9th 96.8=20
10th 97.3=20
11th 97.6=20
12th 97.6=20
13th 97.6=20
14th 97.3=20
15th 97.5=20
16th 98.2=20
17th 97.3=20
18th 97.6=20
19th 97.5=20
20th 97.5=20
21st 97=20
22nd 97.3=20

"Elitsirk" wrote in message =
om...
"Kazh" wrote in message =
How long is your luteal phase usually (the time between ovulation and
bright red bleeding at the start of your period)? Your period is due
that many days after you ovulate (so if you ovulated on day 18 and
typically have 14 days till your period, then by day 33 you're late,
not day 29). Do you usually have 28 day cycles, or are you assuming
that you are supposed to? Most women don't fit the supposed 28 day
cycle. And the luteal phase can last anywhere from 10-16 days or so,
depending on the woman (if it's 10 or less, then you might want to
talk to a doctor since I think that can mean you could have trouble
getting pregnant).

I tested at exactly 1 day late (O'd on cd15, typical luteal period =3D

#1 due 9/20/2004