Tell me this isn't just gas...

Old October 6th 03, 05:58 PM
Circe

Default Tell me this isn't just gas...

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
zeldabee wrote:
and he smiled. So I kept on talking, and he kept on
smiling.

Not gas. Isn't it great?

Julian smiled at exactly 4 weeks old. I have it on film. It was *not* gas,
but a real, honest-to-goodness social smile. And it is great, isn't it?
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"She rose her eyebrows at Toby" -- from "O' Artful Death", by Sarah Stewart
Taylor

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old October 7th 03, 04:57 AM
A&G&K

"zeldabee" wrote in message
Bubeleh will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've seen him smile many times, but
as part of a repertoire of expressions that pass over his face, and it
seemed almost random, so I figured they weren't "real."

This morning was different, though...We'd had a good night--he wasn't
fussy, didn't stay awake after feedings, mom got some sleep--and he woke

up
calm. I got up as he started to stir, went to the bathroom and so on. I
went to him when I heard his "Ok, I'm really awake now" noise, and talked
to him a little... and he smiled. So I kept on talking, and he kept on
smiling. This went on for about 5 minutes before I picked him up to nurse
him.

Then again this afternoon, I'd had to change his clothes after a blowout
poop. I'd put him on the bed by the window so that he could watch the
leaves blowing in the wind as I finished dressing him. Again, he smiled as
he watched the leaves, and started making little exclamations, noises that
sounded purposeful and voluntary. I nearly cried, it was so sweet.

Am I reading too much into this? It just seems like such a change.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Sounds like the real deal to me. I've never bought the "gas"theory though.
I figure that smiling is just another facial expression they "play" with.

(Still wonderful though isn't it?)

Amanda

Old October 7th 03, 07:33 PM
Jenrose

"zeldabee" wrote in message
Bubeleh will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've seen him smile many times, but
as part of a repertoire of expressions that pass over his face, and it
seemed almost random, so I figured they weren't "real."

This morning was different, though...

Yep!

4 weeks is exactly "on time" for those first smiles. Some babies do it
earlier or later, and yes, they're very different from "gas" or "random"
smiles.

I love that... My daughter first smiled when she figured out the "mommy
sticks out tongue, baby sticks out tongue, baby sticks out tongue, then
mommy does it" game. She'd done that reflexively, but it was like a ray of
sunshine when she figured out how to do it on purpose.

Jenrose