ARGH!!! Super formula???? WTF?

Old September 30th 03, 10:41 AM
Matt C

Default ARGH!!! Super formula???? WTF?

What I find absolutley astonishing and disgusting is that these fatty acids
come from fish. The fact that they come from fish doesn't bother me, but
surely baby milk - one of the purest things that should exist as it is for
newborn babies up - has been made from fish!

Don't get me wrong - I am a strong advocate of breast feeding, and think
it's terrible that so few mothers manage to breast feed past a few weeks for
whatever reason. The fact is though that there are many mothers out there
who do use formula from an early age - surely feeding them fish at this age
is not right.

Jacqui (who struggled to find a vegetarian formula for her 6mth old)

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...ormula-CR.html

This really angers me!

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old September 30th 03, 12:12 PM
Lara

Matt C wrote:

What I find absolutley astonishing and disgusting is that these fatty acids
come from fish.

Nope. They come from a soil fungus and a microalga. Be disgusted if you
like, but be disgusted for the right reasons - they're pretty much
vegetarian sources.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/DH...-comments.html

Lara
Old September 30th 03, 12:24 PM
Iuil

"Lara" wrote
Matt C wrote:

What I find absolutley astonishing and disgusting is that these fatty

acids
come from fish.

Nope. They come from a soil fungus and a microalga. Be disgusted if you
like, but be disgusted for the right reasons - they're pretty much
vegetarian sources.

UK/US difference.

I have a carton of Aptamil* in my cupboard - fish oil is the sixth listed
ingredient after whey powder, skimmed milk, vegetable oils, lactose and egg
lipids. The rest of the ingredients are mineral and vitamin compounds. See
http://www.milupa.ie/asp/show_produc...87&rt=780&ro=2 (scroll down
to the ingredients list).

Jean

*DD is 15 months old, hasn't touched formula for over 9 months and has been
discovered to be dairy intolerant. So why can't I throw it out?

--
HOLLY: Nothing wrong with dog's milk. Full of goodness, full of
vitamins, full of marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other type

Old September 30th 03, 03:40 PM
SuperEeyore

Herself wrote:

Yes, it's good that they're trying to make formula better. But it
would
be better if the formula companies said "Don't use our product,
breastfeed your child, and if you can't breastfeed, then use formula".
I know they do...to a point. What I'm saying is for them to say it
loudly.

Heehee! That's not how business works though. I can picture a little
electronic voice chip that says, "Go eat some vegies!" when you open a box
of Twinkies now. =oP

Laurel

Old September 30th 03, 03:43 PM
SuperEeyore

Belphoebe wrote:

I also wish that an article such as the one the OP linked would
include a disclaimer regarding the actual infrequency of mothers who
really *can't* nurse. That way, there'd be no need to violate the
woman in question's privacy about *her* particular reasons, but this
would be a service to many moms and babies out there, IMHO.

Heehee! That would tick me off if I was the woman and that was the case.
"oh it's not saying anything bad about *your* choice BUT....." and then
verbally place a huge warning light flashing "bad choice"

Laurel

Old September 30th 03, 03:55 PM
toypup

"Matt C" wrote in message
What I find absolutley astonishing and disgusting is that these fatty

acids
come from fish. The fact that they come from fish doesn't bother me, but
surely baby milk - one of the purest things that should exist as it is for
newborn babies up - has been made from fish!

It would surely have to come from somewhere, wouldn't it? What would you
have it come from to make it pure? Is cow's milk pure?

Old September 30th 03, 04:22 PM
Herself

SuperEeyore wrote:

Herself wrote:

Yes, it's good that they're trying to make formula better. But it
would
be better if the formula companies said "Don't use our product,
breastfeed your child, and if you can't breastfeed, then use formula".
I know they do...to a point. What I'm saying is for them to say it
loudly.

Heehee! That's not how business works though. I can picture a little
electronic voice chip that says, "Go eat some vegies!" when you open a box
of Twinkies now. =oP

"No more Oreos for YOU!!!" hehehehe
--
'Tis Herself
Old September 30th 03, 04:55 PM
AlenasMom

"Vijay" wrote in message
om...
"Sue" wrote in message

Dawn Lawson wrote in message
I'd care less about the babyfood industry as a whole if it wasn't

such
an enormous vortex of consumerism. Buy the latest trendy formula,

the
best puree'd veggies, etc etc etc. We on this group are lucky enough

be on the group, getting the help and support we need and getting
directions for help irl. But if you're making your bfding decisions
based on what MOST moms see, it's gonna be an uphill battle all the

way,
with the usual excuses for not bothering.

It does seem to be getting really creepy at all the formulas coming

out. I'm
glad my baby making days are done. Well actually, it wouldn't matter if

was done or not, I would breastfeed and I wouldn't have to worry about

all
the crap they put out. My main thing is some babies require formula and

I am
glad to see that they are trying to make it better for them. What's

worse
though, is some brands of formula being recalled. Can you imagine how
horrible some moms feel that they chose an inferior product.

As someone who bfs and is temporarily supplementing with formula, I
would want the formula industry to keep doing whatever they can to
make it better for those moms who use it -- whatever the reason -- and
there are many reasons. I am strongly pro bf, but I am sick and tired
of formula feeders being crucified. Could we all please try to be a
little less judgemental? You don't know what someone's story is from a
few sentences in an article. My story would take several paragraphs at
least.

It almost seems like some of the people in this group wish formula
didn't even exist! I know that's not really the case, but it sometimes
seems that way. Please remember that a lot of the people who come here
for help getting back to the breast may be supplementing with formula
and may feel guilty and defensive when they read anti-formula posts
like this.

My baby was only 7 oz heavier than her birth weight at 8 weeks: in our
case, formula saved her life. I had always planned to exclusively bf,
it just didn't work out that way for various reasons. Yes, sometimes
women have supply issues, and no, it is usually not their imagination
or their fault, and no, sometimes nursing on demand does not solve the
problem. Especially if you were already nursing on demand when the
problems started, as I was.

I am far from rich, but I pay a lot of money to get the best formula
that is available in my area, and if there was a more expensive one
that was still better, I would buy that one instead. Because what's
important is what's best for my baby, and until we get back to
exclusively bf (we've gone from about 95% formula to about 25% over
the past 8 weeks and are continuing to move toward bf only) what's
best is supplementing with formula.

It's not like I enjoy having to pump all the time, or taking a million
different galactogogues, or using an sns, or switch nursing for an
hour, but I do what I have to do. And that includes washing bottles
and pumps, mixing formula, dealing with smelly poops, and washing
formula-stained clothing. But it's all worth it because DD is thriving
and happy (well, as happy as a 4-month-old high-needs baby gets) and
has moved up from the 5th percentile to the 35th in 8 weeks.

-V.

As the person who started this post, I'm sorry. I think you're doing great!
You're the reason formula should exist. For people who really need it. Not
for selfish or uneducated reasons. YKWIM?
Just ignore my stupid rantings about formula. I went through hell to keep
the hospital from feeding it to Alena while we were there. I just get upset
when I hear of moms giving up at the first sign of trouble.
Keep up the great work! We're behind you here, and think you're doing
great!

Old September 30th 03, 06:46 PM
Dawn Lawson

Sue said:
I understand this is a bf newsgroup and there are prejudices against
forumla, but there are valid reasons for some women.

The POINT is that the number who have valid reasons is FAR FAR smaller
than the number who must supplement or use formula exclusively.

I am pretty partial to making formula as best as they can. It will never be
the same as breast milk, but at least for the ones that have to use it, they
can rest assured that it is second best. As a side note, my oldest daughter
is not going to be able to breastfeed.

And *again*....in this instance, *obviously* a good quality formula is
the ONLY option (other than banked milk or a wet nurse) for VALID reason.

This is NOT the formula use that is decried here.

You have obviously got a good reason to be rather more pro-formula than
others here, but is it any less an agenda?

Dawn