ARGH!!! Super formula???? WTF?

Old September 30th 03, 08:14 PM
Sue

Default ARGH!!! Super formula???? WTF?

As someone who bfs and is temporarily supplementing with formula, I
would want the formula industry to keep doing whatever they can to
make it better for those moms who use it -- whatever the reason -- and
there are many reasons. I am strongly pro bf, but I am sick and tired
of formula feeders being crucified. Could we all please try to be a
little less judgemental? You don't know what someone's story is from a
few sentences in an article. My story would take several paragraphs at
least.

It almost seems like some of the people in this group wish formula
didn't even exist! I know that's not really the case, but it sometimes
seems that way. Please remember that a lot of the people who come here
for help getting back to the breast may be supplementing with formula
and may feel guilty and defensive when they read anti-formula posts
like this.

My baby was only 7 oz heavier than her birth weight at 8 weeks: in our
case, formula saved her life. I had always planned to exclusively bf,
it just didn't work out that way for various reasons. Yes, sometimes
women have supply issues, and no, it is usually not their imagination
or their fault, and no, sometimes nursing on demand does not solve the
problem. Especially if you were already nursing on demand when the
problems started, as I was.

I am far from rich, but I pay a lot of money to get the best formula
that is available in my area, and if there was a more expensive one
that was still better, I would buy that one instead. Because what's
important is what's best for my baby, and until we get back to
exclusively bf (we've gone from about 95% formula to about 25% over
the past 8 weeks and are continuing to move toward bf only) what's
best is supplementing with formula.

It's not like I enjoy having to pump all the time, or taking a million
different galactogogues, or using an sns, or switch nursing for an
hour, but I do what I have to do. And that includes washing bottles
and pumps, mixing formula, dealing with smelly poops, and washing
formula-stained clothing. But it's all worth it because DD is thriving
and happy (well, as happy as a 4-month-old high-needs baby gets) and
has moved up from the 5th percentile to the 35th in 8 weeks.

-V.

Right on Vijay. I agree with you 100%.

I understand this is a bf newsgroup and there are prejudices against
forumla, but there are valid reasons for some women. I don't like to hear
that some women don't even try, that's sad and I always wonder why, but I
don't know the person's story.

I am pretty partial to making formula as best as they can. It will never be
the same as breast milk, but at least for the ones that have to use it, they
can rest assured that it is second best. As a side note, my oldest daughter
is not going to be able to breastfeed. Pregnancy at this point is extremely
iffy, but they are making great strides in the medical community that might
be available to her if she decides to take the risk. Understand, my daughter
is only 11 and we have a long way to go, but there will remain many
medications in my daughter's life and they are not going away unless the
medical community makes her medication better and not found in breast milk.
So for my future grandchildren from this daughter (if it can happen), I hope
formula is the best they can make it when she is older. Also, you just never
know what is behind a person's story. Most people just skim the details so
everyone doesn't know their business. This is the reason why I don't get too
upset when I hear someone didn't breastfeed.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 1st 03, 12:03 AM
Larry McMahan

Herself writes:

: Yes, it's good that they're trying to make formula better.

Your comment and this thread got me to thinking. Yes, I agree
that formula companies SHOULD includes additives to make
formula better (and surprise, more like breastmilk).

My problem is that every time they do this, their marketing
hype engine makes it sound like they have created the *perfect*
food that could outdo that made even by God. Well, we KNOW what
the perfect food made by God is, and the marketing hype just
ain't so!

Larry
Old October 1st 03, 05:11 AM
Sue

Dawn Lawson wrote in message
The POINT is that the number who have valid reasons is FAR FAR smaller
than the number who must supplement or use formula exclusively.

Well imo, it doesn't matter if the number of people who really can't
breastfeed. It matters to me that babies are getting proper nutrition even
if their moms decided to use formula for whatever reason.

You have obviously got a good reason to be rather more pro-formula than
others here, but is it any less an agenda?

I don't have an agenda, just a open mind and a general feeling of sadness
when a mom is made to feel inferior when she is trying to do her best, even
if it isn't choices I would make. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 1st 03, 06:31 AM
Sue theo b

To get a bit back to topic, one thing I find interesting is that a large
perchentage of babies who get the new super formulas end up having stomach
problems and have to switch to a regular one. What's the problem here? Sue

** remove "spamnot" to reply**
Old October 1st 03, 08:39 AM
Denise

"Sue theo b" wrote in message
To get a bit back to topic, one thing I find interesting is that a large
perchentage of babies who get the new super formulas end up having stomach
problems and have to switch to a regular one. What's the problem here? Sue

A large percentage of infants who get formula, period, have digestive
problems. What's your point?

Old October 1st 03, 10:23 AM
KC

"Sue" wrote in message ...
Herself wrote in message
This really angers me!
At least they put the last paragraph in. I just hate it when they say
that they "had" to stop breastfeeding. I can't wait to see what the
others say about this eg
--
'Tis Herself

However, you have absolutely no idea why this mom had to stop breastfeeding.
It's funny to see the women on this group get their hackles up over an
article that you don't even have all the details.

In regard to the super formula, well good for them for trying making a more
superior product for the babies that are drinking it. There are some who
just may need to be on formula for one reason or another (adoption comes to
mind) even if it is mom who didn't want to breastfeed.

I agree. Some moms need to give formula, and it is good that they are
trying to make it better. I had to give alot of formula to my first
dd. I was unable to overcome all my issues (flat nipples and low
supply) before I had to go back to work. They didn't have the fatty
acids in the breastmilk then, and I added a fatty acid to my dds
formula myself then. I also had to give this baby some formula
initially or let her die of dehydration, and I gave her Lipil formula,
so I am very glad they are trying to improve the formula. Calling it
super formula is stupid though. It is just a bit closer to bm now.

KC
Old October 1st 03, 03:11 PM
Sue

Sue theo b wrote in message
To get a bit back to topic, one thing I find interesting is that a large
perchentage of babies who get the new super formulas end up having stomach
problems and have to switch to a regular one. What's the problem here? Sue

It's not just the super formula, it's any formula. Formula is going to be
harder on the digestive systems of infants. They can try to make formula as
close as they think they can, but they are still not going to be able to put
everything found in breastmilk into formula and it can bother lots of
babies.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 2nd 03, 05:08 PM
Denise

"Vijay" wrote in message

For example I have a friend with lupus who is pregnant and won't
be able to bf because of her meds. If I was thinking about weaning
Charlotte around the time her baby was born, I'd consider pumping for
a few months to give her baby ebm. But Charlotte will only be 7 months
when her baby is born and I'm going to bf as long as she wants to.

-V.

Why won't your friend be able to breastfeed? There's lots of bfing friendly
medicines to deal with Lupus. I have Lupus, and I've breastfed 3 kids now.
I don't take steroids all the time as a preventive measure, but I did have a
horribly bad flare up around the time #3 was born, and she was breastfed
till ~17 months even with my medications.

Old October 2nd 03, 05:24 PM
Dawn Lawson

Vijay wrote:

The better alternative to formula is getting breast milk from someone
else, right?

yes.

I mean, it's not as good as getting your own breastmilk
right from the breast, but it is possible I think. People sell it on
ebay and I think there's such a thing as a milk bank but maybe I'm
just making that up

WHaaaattt??? they sell it on Ebay??? I find that unlikely....really???
Have you SEEN an ad for breastmilk?? They stopped selling body parts
on eBay a while ago, I think it odd that they would auction milk.

Yes, there are legit milk banks, which are a FAR FAR FAR better idea
than eBay. Locally, a woman had to be hospitalised and couldn't bfd,
but her friends collected their own bmilk for her DD.

Dawn