Refusing to Nurse

Old July 10th 03, 10:57 PM
Shelby

Default Refusing to Nurse

I successfully (thanks to this group) have breastfed my ds for the last six
months...
All of a sudden he is refusing to nurse more than a minute or so. he will
suck, then squirm and cry until I sit him up. I am starting to worry that
he isn't getting enough bm from me. I should note that he nurses fine
asleep at night (we don't cosleep, but I do go in and nurse him when he
cries) and he will nurse lying down with me in the afternoon to take a nap.
Any ideas on what to do? This is the second week or so he has done this, he
isn't teething, and he is going through tons of new developmental stages in
case that helps.
thanks

Old July 10th 03, 11:20 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Shelby wrote:

he will
suck, then squirm and cry until I sit him up.

Ear infection?

Phoebe

Old July 11th 03, 12:30 AM
Rob and Laura

Izabella is 5 months old and is starting to do this as well. It is very
frustrating for sure, but eventually she gives in and will start to nurse
again. It may take 10 or 20 mintues to finally get her to understand its
time to eat not to try and sit up or roll around. I guess everything catches
their eyes now, and it seems more important to them

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

.. .

Old July 11th 03, 12:47 AM
Larry McMahan

Shelby writes:
: I successfully (thanks to this group) have breastfed my ds for the last six
: months...
: All of a sudden he is refusing to nurse more than a minute or so. he will
: suck, then squirm and cry until I sit him up. I am starting to worry that
: he isn't getting enough bm from me. I should note that he nurses fine
: asleep at night (we don't cosleep, but I do go in and nurse him when he
: cries) and he will nurse lying down with me in the afternoon to take a nap.
: Any ideas on what to do? This is the second week or so he has done this, he
: isn't teething, and he is going through tons of new developmental stages in
: case that helps.
: thanks

Take lots of naps and start co-sleeping. :-)

Seriously, a lot of babies cut down their nursing during the day because
of increases in developmental awareness. They just have way too much to
do learning about the world! :-) Our were certainly this way, and
invariably made it up with increased night nursing.

Good luck,
Larry
Old July 11th 03, 09:02 PM
Jenrose

"Shelby" wrote in message
.. .
I successfully (thanks to this group) have breastfed my ds for the last

six
months...
All of a sudden he is refusing to nurse more than a minute or so. he will
suck, then squirm and cry until I sit him up. I am starting to worry that
he isn't getting enough bm from me. I should note that he nurses fine
asleep at night (we don't cosleep, but I do go in and nurse him when he
cries) and he will nurse lying down with me in the afternoon to take a

nap.
Any ideas on what to do? This is the second week or so he has done this,

he
isn't teething, and he is going through tons of new developmental stages

in
case that helps.
thanks

Nursing in a sling or darkened room can often help this process. At that
age, it's more "I want to see everything" than any real lack of interest in
the breast. It's worse if they start doing the "I want to look around with
the nipple in my mouth" gig.

Jenrose