Please I still wait for your reponses!

Old September 29th 06, 10:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Please I still wait for your reponses!

Hi All,

I am 22 weeks pregnant mom. I did my U/S 2 weeks ago and as results,
I've got
everything normal expect that the LF/BPD was juged low (67%). The
average is 71-83 %.
My OB/Gyn asked me to repeat the U/S in 2 weeks.
What does that mean? Is my baby in high risk? Has anyone experienced
that before?
I am very worried and I really need help.....

Thanks

Old September 30th 06, 01:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
V.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I am 22 weeks pregnant mom. I did my U/S 2 weeks ago and as results,
I've got
everything normal expect that the LF/BPD was juged low (67%). The
average is 71-83 %.
My OB/Gyn asked me to repeat the U/S in 2 weeks.
What does that mean? Is my baby in high risk? Has anyone experienced
that before?
I am very worried and I really need help.....

Thanks

Remember that ultrasound can only approximate measurements, so it's not even
definite that your ratio is off at all. Plus, your 67% is awfully close to
the normal range.
As to what it *could* indicate, my recollection is that the concern is about
Down Syndrome. Basically, the idea is that babies with Down Syndrome have
shorter femurs than typical for other babies of the same gestational age.
So, BPD estimates the gestational age of the fetus, and femur length is then
compared. However, it's a _soft marker_, meaning that it's a clue that
something *may* be wrong, but more often is just a normal variant.
Here's some info about soft markers for Down Syndrome.
http://www.prenatalultrasound.com/downloads/markers.pdf#search='pregnancy%20low%20femur%20leng th%20ultrasound%20biparietal%20diameter%20ratio'
here's an article about how ethnicity affects the measurement.
http://www.jultrasoundmed.org/cgi/reprint/21/7/719.pdf#search='pregnancy%20low%20femur%20length%2 0ultrasound%20biparietal%20diameter%20ratio'

I did an internship in genetic counselling and had a referral from an OB for
a patient with really short femur length (fetal). The OB brilliantly told
the woman that her baby "probably" had Down syndrome. When she walked in my
office, my mentor and I exchanged knowing glances and felt much relieved.
Here before us was a 5 foot tall pregnant woman. Short femur length? Of
course! sure enough, after a more thorough ultrasound, no other indicator
of Down syndrome were found, and her amnio came back with normal
chromosomes. The diagnosis? Short mom=short baby.

The fact that all else was normal is greatly in your favor. If you also had
a normal triple screen (or quad screen), the chances are even lower of there
being a problem. You'll have a second u/s to confirm, and if you are still
really anxious you can ask about amniocentesis, but it is not without risk
(generally quoted as 1/200 chance of miscarriage).

I hope this is helpful!

Good luck,
Amy

Old September 30th 06, 05:23 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Thank you for everyone who found some time to answer me and for your
support.

wait lists for preschools? L. General 24 June 25th 06 02:01 PM
How long to wait after miscarriage? Ilse Witch Pregnancy 1 November 3rd 04 09:48 PM
Florida's children can't wait Wex Wimpy Foster Parents 0 September 2nd 03 05:29 PM
VENT: Wait Time [email protected] General 1 August 22nd 03 09:51 PM
Wait Time Stephanie and Tim General 0 August 21st 03 01:20 PM