WOH mom and potty training

Old July 30th 04, 04:17 PM
Banty

Default WOH mom and potty training

In article , ted says...

If you work outside home full time, when did you start potty training
your child? How did it go? How did your childcare provider help you
with this?

Thanks.

My son was in a family daycare with two providers, and they were happy to help
out. He pretty much self-trained at 3 1/2. They were in no rush, in fact I was
the one that felt he needed a bit more of a nudge at one point :-)

One advantage of family daycare *is* the potty training situation. There's only
one or two people to come up with a plan with, and the setting is small enough
that kids who aren't potty trained don't get held back in "toddler rooms".

Banty

Old July 30th 04, 04:21 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

ted wrote:

If you work outside home full time, when did you start potty training
your child? How did it go? How did your childcare provider help you
with this?

Thanks.

Ah...what fun!
My son was nearly 3 1/2 when he toilet trained. In a nutshell I needed
to wait until he was totally ready physically and emotionally. When he
did train, it didn't take any time at all....really, he knew exactly
what to do and just did it. He had already been dry at night for
sometime, so when he trained during the day he was fully trained. We
used pull-ups only a few times when staying overnight in hotels or other
people's houses.

That's the short and pleasant story.

The longer version is that with him being nearly 3 1/2 I was getting a
bit anxious. We had tried a couple of times in the previous months which
involved putting him in pants and seeing how he got on for a day.
He could not have cared less. The nursery did work with him for a couple
of days and then kindly told me he was not ready.

Being WOH I did not have the time to stay at home with him for a week
while he ran around bare bottomed. Also, it became clear quite early on
that it might be something I'd get frustrated with pretty quickly which
knowing the nature of my son wasn't going to be very productive.

Mary Ann

Old July 30th 04, 04:30 PM
Donna Metler

The daycares I've worked in have always started having children on a
schedule about age 2, where they attempt to go potty every few hours (and
have one available all the time). Usually most of the children didn't seem
to be really trained in that they initiated going on their own and usually
recognized signs until at least age 3, sometimes 4.

You may want to check with your provider-if they're doing the schedule, they
want children to be either in pullups or training pants that the child can
take off and on, not diapers, and you will certainly want to make sure there
are multiple sets of clothes there once they start any sort of training,
because they're probably not going to be able to do bare bottomed training.

Old July 30th 04, 04:34 PM
Banty

In article , Mary Ann Tuli says...

ted wrote:

If you work outside home full time, when did you start potty training
your child? How did it go? How did your childcare provider help you
with this?

Thanks.

Ah...what fun!
My son was nearly 3 1/2 when he toilet trained. In a nutshell I needed
to wait until he was totally ready physically and emotionally. When he
did train, it didn't take any time at all....really, he knew exactly
what to do and just did it. He had already been dry at night for
sometime, so when he trained during the day he was fully trained. We
used pull-ups only a few times when staying overnight in hotels or other
people's houses.

So often I hear of the age of 3 1/2 for boys self-training that I strongly
suspect that there's something developmentally going on that makes that the time
when they're truly ready.

Banty

Old July 30th 04, 05:57 PM
Manda

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:30:22 -0500, "Donna Metler"
wrote:

The daycares I've worked in have always started having children on a
schedule about age 2, where they attempt to go potty every few hours (and
have one available all the time). Usually most of the children didn't seem
to be really trained in that they initiated going on their own and usually
recognized signs until at least age 3, sometimes 4.

You may want to check with your provider-if they're doing the schedule, they
want children to be either in pullups or training pants that the child can
take off and on, not diapers, and you will certainly want to make sure there
are multiple sets of clothes there once they start any sort of training,
because they're probably not going to be able to do bare bottomed training.

I haven't go to this point yet (DS is almost 1), but our day care
actually politely requests that you don't send pull-ups unless
absolutely necessary. The handbook says that it's because it slows
down the diaper changing process so much.

I'm not sure what we're going to do when the time comes. DS is in
daycare full-time and wears cloth diapers.

Manda

Old July 30th 04, 06:18 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Banty wrote:

So often I hear of the age of 3 1/2 for boys self-training that I strongly
suspect that there's something developmentally going on that makes that the time
when they're truly ready.

Evan's coming up on 3 1/2 and he does seem to be physically ready and
getting close to being emotionally ready. I do think he'll train very
quickly once he starts.

My other two trained earlier though -- my first at 3yo on my initiative
took only a few days, and my second at 2 1/2 on his own initiative but
with accidents for months thereafter.

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 30th 04, 06:36 PM
Sue

"Mary Ann Tuli" wrote in message
The longer version is that with him being nearly 3 1/2 I was getting a
bit anxious. We had tried a couple of times in the previous months which
involved putting him in pants and seeing how he got on for a day.
He could not have cared less. The nursery did work with him for a couple
of days and then kindly told me he was not ready.

Being WOH I did not have the time to stay at home with him for a week
while he ran around bare bottomed.

Since your son did train in a short amount of time, then he *was* ready, it
didn't matter if you would have had the time to have him bear bottomed. If
he wasn't ready emotionally and physically being bear bottomed or not
wouldn't of mattered.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 30th 04, 10:24 PM
Cadie

--
Cadie, 19
Aries, 17.5 months
wrote:

[...]

How exactly do pull ups slwo down the diaper changing process? LOL Aries
is in the pampers easy ups, which are regular diapers, but without tabs, so
they pull on. Made for babies who won't sit still for changing. It's twice
as fas as regular diapers, in my opinion. Pull off pull on, no trying to
fit the tabs just right...

Old July 31st 04, 12:05 AM
Banty

In article X%yOc.182297$a24.32190@attbi_s03, Cadie says...

How exactly do pull ups slwo down the diaper changing process? LOL Aries
is in the pampers easy ups, which are regular diapers, but without tabs, so
they pull on. Made for babies who won't sit still for changing. It's twice
as fas as regular diapers, in my opinion. Pull off pull on, no trying to
fit the tabs just right...

I recall that, especially for dirty (as opposed to just wet) pull-ups, it was a
messier, slower process pulling up, getting the baby to step out, etc., than it
was to change a dirty diaper with the baby or toddler laying down. Open the
top, clean the bottom, then slide the thing out, with all contents caught, was a
lot easier than having to get the whole thing off at once. So I found diapers a
quicker change than pullups.

Banty

Old July 31st 04, 12:22 AM
thumper

"ted" wrote in message
om...
If you work outside home full time, when did you start potty training
your child? How did it go? How did your childcare provider help you
with this?

Thanks

I work outside the home, and wondered how we'd go about this as well. I
don't know if it's the right way, but it worked for us :-) DS was in
preschool, with extended care hours.

When we trained, DS was really resistant to it, but he was otherwise showing
all the signs of readiness (physically, anyway) at about 3 1/2. I put him
in underpants for a weekend and he peed in them every single time, so I put
them away for a while. Then a few months later, I tried again, and he used
the toilet each time with only one accident that was a timing issue. I
still sent him to preschool on Monday in a pull-up, but explained to him
that he should try to use the toilet, and told the teacher in his presence
that he was using the toilet but would still need reminders. She gave him a
timer, and showed him how to use it, so that every hour he'd go to the
bathroom. He didn't pee in his pull-up all week, so the following week he
went in underpants. He's had one accident at school since then ("mom, we
weren't fast enough") and none at home.

I was surprised when our preschool teacher said she *liked* pull-ups, for a
few reasons-it minimized the mess in the classroom of course, but also gave
my ds practice dressing and undressing. And since it's more work to get
changed, she hoped it would give him incentive to use the potty ;-) In
practice, though, they were really just diapers that got put on a different
way. I don't think DS ever thought of them as underpants.

Good luck! It's definitely interesting ;-)
--
When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a
thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning