Anyone used a Hipster?

Old August 25th 04, 06:54 PM
Sophie

Default Anyone used a Hipster?

Saw a woman out yesterday wearing her (I'd guess) 6 month old son on her
hip. I asked her what the "thing" was that he was in. She said her husband
bought it online and it's called a Hipster. She loves it and so does her
son.

I love having my hands free (Nolan lives in the Bjorn) so this looks neat.
Anyone used one?

http://www.essentialbaby.webcentral....m514.inetstore

Thanks

Old August 25th 04, 08:42 PM
shixa

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:54:26 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

Saw a woman out yesterday wearing her (I'd guess) 6 month old son on her
hip. I asked her what the "thing" was that he was in. She said her husband
bought it online and it's called a Hipster. She loves it and so does her
son.

I love having my hands free (Nolan lives in the Bjorn) so this looks neat.
Anyone used one?

http://www.essentialbaby.webcentral....m514.inetstore

I've seen those and wondered about them too...they look pretty cool --
maybe more comfy for baby than a Bjorn? Victor tolerates the Bjorn
but I'd like to find something else he'd like better.

Carla
Mom to Victor Paul born 5.16.04
www.victorpictures.com --See him here!
Old August 25th 04, 08:47 PM
shixa

wrote:

Saw a woman out yesterday wearing her (I'd guess) 6 month old son on her
hip. I asked her what the "thing" was that he was in. She said her husband
bought it online and it's called a Hipster. She loves it and so does her
son.

I love having my hands free (Nolan lives in the Bjorn) so this looks neat.
Anyone used one?

http://www.essentialbaby.webcentral....m514.inetstore

Thanks

Can you only purchase them from Australia?

Old August 26th 04, 12:24 AM
Nancy P.

"Sophie" wrote in message
Saw a woman out yesterday wearing her (I'd guess) 6 month old son on her
hip. I asked her what the "thing" was that he was in. She said her

husband
bought it online and it's called a Hipster. She loves it and so does her
son.

I love having my hands free (Nolan lives in the Bjorn) so this looks neat.
Anyone used one?

http://www.essentialbaby.webcentral....m514.inetstore

Thanks

That looks like a Sara's Ride, which I don't think is on the market anymore.
I've seen something similar in one step ahead:
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27213/751/117.html

I have used a sling for the hip carry, with a baby from 9 months to about 15
months. It was a lot more comfortable than actually carrying her.

Nancy

Old August 26th 04, 01:49 AM
shixa

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:24:21 -0400, "Nancy P."
wrote:
That looks like a Sara's Ride, which I don't think is on the market anymore.
I've seen something similar in one step ahead:
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27213/751/117.html

I have used a sling for the hip carry, with a baby from 9 months to about 15
months. It was a lot more comfortable than actually carrying her.

Nancy

Oooh I like that one and I like the price too!!
Anyone tried it?

Old August 26th 04, 02:06 AM
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:

That looks like a Sara's Ride, which I don't think is on the market anymore.
I've seen something similar in one step ahead:
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27213/751/117.html

I have used a sling for the hip carry, with a baby from 9 months to about 15
months. It was a lot more comfortable than actually carrying her.

Nancy

Oooh I like that one and I like the price too!!
Anyone tried it?

I know one person who tried it and didn't like it,
but it might just have been her. I didn't see her trying
it, so I don't know if she was doing something weird with
it. She doesn't use any sort of baby carrier, so maybe
she's just anti-carrier ;-)

I did find a Sara's Ride for sale at:
http://www.safebeginnings.com/WebCom...uct.asp?id=105
It's only a little more than the One Step Ahead one.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 26th 04, 03:07 AM
Plissken

"Sophie" wrote in message
Saw a woman out yesterday wearing her (I'd guess) 6 month old son on her
hip. I asked her what the "thing" was that he was in. She said her

husband
bought it online and it's called a Hipster. She loves it and so does her
son.

I love having my hands free (Nolan lives in the Bjorn) so this looks neat.
Anyone used one?

http://www.essentialbaby.webcentral....m514.inetstore

Thanks

I've got something very similar. A friend of mine made it based on the
design of a hip hammock.

http://store.buyhammocks.com/hiphammock.html

I have 2 slings, a baby Bjorn, a baby backpack and a hip hammock and I
prefer the hip hammock out of all of them. It's dead easy to get your child
into and IMO is very comfortable.

Nadene

Old August 26th 04, 04:11 AM
Nancy P.

"Plissken" wrote in message

I've got something very similar. A friend of mine made it based on the
design of a hip hammock.

http://store.buyhammocks.com/hiphammock.html

I have 2 slings, a baby Bjorn, a baby backpack and a hip hammock and I
prefer the hip hammock out of all of them. It's dead easy to get your

child
into and IMO is very comfortable.

Nadene

That's interesting. I had always thought the hip carriers would be for use
after the baby was too big/heavy (per person's comfort, not actual weight
limit) for a Baby Bjorn, but the link you posted looks like it'd be for
younger babies also (3 months). What slings do you have? Do you have a
Maya Wrap? Why do you prefer the hip hammock?

Nancy

Old August 26th 04, 04:38 AM
Chotii

"Sophie" wrote in message
[...]

But you know what it does? It puts a LOT of the child's weight right against
the juncture of your neck and shoulder. That inevitably hurts me. A sling,
at least, can be spread out over the point of your shoulder. I want somebody
to make a hip-carrier type thing, with an adjustable strap with a fan of
fabric that can spread out over the point of the shoulder. It'd have to
adjust front and back, though, to accommodate different sized people.

--angela

Old August 26th 04, 09:49 AM
Jenrose

"Sophie" wrote in message
Saw a woman out yesterday wearing her (I'd guess) 6 month old son on her
hip. I asked her what the "thing" was that he was in. She said her

husband
bought it online and it's called a Hipster. She loves it and so does her
son.

I love having my hands free (Nolan lives in the Bjorn) so this looks neat.
Anyone used one?

I've tried several other brands with very, very similar construction. IMO
these are *NOT* the ideal hip carriers because the straps always tend to
ride up on the neck and cause cramping. An intriguing new product in the
same family from www.meihipcarrier.com may solve this problem with a more
sling-like shoulder strap--this combines a ring sling with an asian-style
carrier for a hip-only carrier. I'm looking forward to seeing this!

But my favorites for older babies involve two-shoulder carries and allow
back and front carries as well. Several options include:

www.kozycarrier.com : Top notch workmanship and my first choice for back
carries and any carries for older children. Very easy to learn, easier than
the Bjorn to get on and off, good through heavier than you'd believe
possible--I've had an 85 pound child in one of these, she was heavy, but a
60 pound child was really not bad at all. We used to think these were only
for older babies, but several have used them with newborns with great
success. Small company. There's a waiting list. Get on it. Nuff said.

Wraparound carriers: www.mamatoto.org has all the info you need to make your
own and plenty of links to manufacturers. These have a slightly steeper
learning curve, but can be made out of cheap fabric (think $1 per yard stuff
from walmart even...) so you can wing it and try a homemade one out before
you splurge on a gorgeous storebought one. These come in stretchy or woven,
and allow front, back, hip, facing in, facing out carries. You can even do
high back carries with surprisingly small babies--carries which allow baby
to see over your shoulder without an unweildy frame backpack. These are
some of the best instructions I've seen anywhere.

Unpadded ring slings and pouches make *great* hip carriers. One of the
better known brands for both styles is www.mayawrap.com . See
www.thebabywearer.com for lots and lots and lots of other brands. My
favorite in this category is the MamaBaby, but I'm biased, because I
designed it. Maya Wrap sells it, along with their own designs made from
Guatamalan fabrics. The advantage of the MamaBaby for older kids is that you
can use two slings, crossed, for two-shoulder carries--this makes it MUCH
more comfortable for older kids if they need to be carried a while. Again,
front, back, hip, facing in, facing out are all possible with
two-slings-crossed. See www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/sling.asp for more
information.

The critical factors for me in comfort a
1. Shoulder straps that stay in place and do NOT climb up toward my neck
2. Preferably distributes weight across both shoulders. Both shoulders *and*
waist are a plus for both wraparounds and ABC (asian baby carriers) like the
Kozy.
3. Versatility. I should be able to shift child or carrier to another
position to prevent strain from long-wearing in a single position.

Jenrose