preschooler's pants

Old October 15th 03, 04:26 AM
Karen G

Default preschooler's pants

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:32:18 EDT, "Donna Metler"
wrote:

What about making your own ones, by cutting cute shapes out of fabric, then
using the fusable web stuff on the back (and probably stiching around the
edges). I've done appliques like this for children's costumes for programs
pretty often. Maybe you could start a new fashion at preschool!

The problem in this case is that the holes are in leggings/knit pants.
As much as I like to sew, I don't feel comfortable trying to reinforce
them, so it looks like it is time to go buy more.

Karen

Old October 15th 03, 09:23 AM
jjmoreta

Karen G wrote:
Are preschoolers intrinsically hard on pant's knees or is mine unique?
3 out of 7 days in the past week, my 4.5 year old has put holes in the
knees of her pants. Now in the defense of the pants, most of them are
two years old (this is the second year of her wearing these pants).

I guess I need to figure out where to buy pants again.
Karen G

Check out Sears clothing. Their Kidvantage guarantee promises a replacement
(exact or similar value) if the item of clothing wears out before your child
outgrows it. I would check into the details - all I know is that they ask
to register you in the system but I don't know if they require you to save
tags and/or receipts. You also can earn coupons for spending so much money.
I haven't had a chance to use them much yet as kid #1 still has a few weeks
to make its appearance and I was given all the clothes I'll need.

http://www.sears.ca/e/info/kvantage.htm
- From the Canada site, but I know my local US store has the exact same
policy

With the clothes being 2 years old, I'm not surprised that they're wearing
through. They may be a little tighter and now that she's older, she may be
putting them through heavier use. I remember ages 4-6 were pretty bad for
me and my clothing.

- Joanne

Old October 15th 03, 03:51 PM
Claire Petersky

wrote:

What about making your own ones, by cutting cute shapes out of fabric,

then
using the fusable web stuff on the back (and probably stiching around the
edges). I've done appliques like this for children's costumes for

programs
pretty often. Maybe you could start a new fashion at preschool!

The problem in this case is that the holes are in leggings/knit pants.
As much as I like to sew, I don't feel comfortable trying to reinforce
them, so it looks like it is time to go buy more.

My older daughter is tall and slim, so I've bought a lot of leggings in my
time. I found that buying US or Canadian-made leggings (which were two
dollars more at Fred Meyer, a local discount house) would last longer than
those made in third-world countries -- worth the extra money. It was not
worth it to buy more expensive leggings than these, like out of the Lands
End catalog, unless these were on clearance, because they did not last
significantly longer.

We cut-off all those leggings that got holes in the knees. We have a nearly
inexhaustible supply of "bike shorts" style shorts as a result.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Old October 15th 03, 03:51 PM
Cathy Kearns

wrote:

What about making your own ones, by cutting cute shapes out of fabric,

then
using the fusable web stuff on the back (and probably stiching around the
edges). I've done appliques like this for children's costumes for

programs
pretty often. Maybe you could start a new fashion at preschool!

The problem in this case is that the holes are in leggings/knit pants.
As much as I like to sew, I don't feel comfortable trying to reinforce
them, so it looks like it is time to go buy more.

Yeah, my girls seemed to like the knit ones much more. Down
side is the knees don't last anywhere near as long as jeans. Up
side is I could actually get the girls to wear the knit pants.

Karen

Old October 30th 03, 04:16 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Patching jeans (was preschooler's pants)

Does anyone have advice on patching jeans for boys? My thought would
be to get some "cute/cool" fabric, cut a patch, fold the edges under,
attach it with that iron-on tape, and either stitch around it with
matching thread or a nice contrasting embroidery floss. Does this
sound reasonable? What should I look for in a fabric to use for the
patches so that it will be reasonably tough. I don't want them going
through the patches as quickly as they went through the original knees
of the jeans (under 2 months).

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old October 30th 03, 06:32 PM
Banty

In article , Robyn Kozierok says...

Does anyone have advice on patching jeans for boys? My thought would
be to get some "cute/cool" fabric, cut a patch, fold the edges under,
attach it with that iron-on tape, and either stitch around it with
matching thread or a nice contrasting embroidery floss. Does this
sound reasonable? What should I look for in a fabric to use for the
patches so that it will be reasonably tough. I don't want them going
through the patches as quickly as they went through the original knees
of the jeans (under 2 months).

My suggestion would be to take fabric from outgrown and outworn jeans (from over
the knee area and from in back), fold the edges under, and sew this on with
matching thread or tan-colored contrasting thread to match the jean contrasting
thread. Because, if my experience with it says anything at all, for boys above
a certain age there is no other 'cute/cool' way to do it. Plus it's a durable
patch. The problem that comes up is the triple denim fabric thickness - but I
can coax my 1949 black with gold leaf Singer through it :-)

Of course you can take the jean fabric and do more creative stuff with stitching
or contrast piping if the boys' tastes allow. But the jean fabric makes the
best patch.

Banty

Old October 30th 03, 08:05 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Banty wrote:

My suggestion would be to take fabric from outgrown and outworn jeans (from over
the knee area and from in back), fold the edges under, and sew this on with
matching thread or tan-colored contrasting thread to match the jean contrasting
thread. Because, if my experience with it says anything at all, for boys above
a certain age there is no other 'cute/cool' way to do it. Plus it's a durable
patch. The problem that comes up is the triple denim fabric thickness - but I
can coax my 1949 black with gold leaf Singer through it :-)

I'll be hand sewing, fwiw. My boys still have pretty "young" tastes in
clothes, and would probably prefer a bugs/space ships/whatever contrasting
patch to denim (and the social situation at their current school makes
this not an issue) but you have a good point (that I snipped) about the
strength of the denim. We have lots of spare jeans to use for patching.

Thanks,
--Robyn