Please tell all pregnant women you know...

Old July 13th 05, 09:57 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Please tell all pregnant women you know...

PLEASE TELL ALL PREGNANT WOMEN YOU KNOW:

Obstetricians are closing birth canals up to 30% and keeping birth canals
closed the "extra" up to 30% when babies get stuck...

LADIES: it's easy for women to allow their birth canals to OPEN the "extra"
up to 30%.

See below.

Usenetters,

Periodically, women contact me for birth position recommendations.

(I am blessed by being mentioned at Dr. Andrew Saul's popular
www.doctoryourself.com website.)

I usually take the liberty of answering publicly as I am doing here...

Lisa,

First of all, congratulations on planning a THIRD homebirth!

Cool!

Three of my children were born at home too.

Regarding posture during delivery...

Semisitting and dorsal delivery positions close the birth canal up to 30%.

Just about every other birth position allows the birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up to 30%.

Side-lying, hands-and-knees, knee-chest, crouching on one knee, squatting,
standing allow the birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30%.

Michel Odent, MD has said that women allowed to labor feeling unobserved
spontaneously get off their sacra as part of the "fetus ejection reflex."

Odent also says that no one - not even the woman herself - can predict what
position she will be in when she finally pushes her baby out.

To allow your birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30%, just make sure you
are NOT semisitting or dorsal as you push your baby out.

Talk to your midwife, of course - my bet is that you and she have already
talked about these things.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon

PS Some homebirth midwives do use the birth-canal-closing semisitting and
dorsal delivery positions. Women push babies out all the time in these
positions. I myself (hospital birth) was pushed out with the birth canal
closed the "extra" up to 30%. Most babies do "fine" - but some might be
able to do "finer": an estimated 4.6% of "healthy" term babies are born with
unexplained brain bleeds.

One last note...

I asked the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists/ACOG a long
time ago to stop placing women semisitting and dorsal - but here it is 2005
and ACOG is still recommending it.

NOTE WELL: ACOG is still, in 2005, recommending KEEPING birth canals closed
the "extra" up to 30% (keeping women semisitting)) when babies get stuck and
they use forceps to pull (about 1 in 10 births)...

See ACOG's 2005 edition: How NOT to birth
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/3606

Please tell all pregnant women you know, that obstetricians are routinely
keeping birth canals closed the "extra" up to 30% when babies get stuck -
and that it is easy for them to allow their birth canals to open the "extra"
up to 30%...

on 7/13/05 9:30 AM, Lisa wrote:

I am 9 months pregnant with my third child, and preparing for my third home
birth. Any suggestions for posturing during delivery? Thanks, Lisa...

Thanks for writing Lisa.

Sincerely,

Todd

This post will be archived for global access in the Google usenet archive.

Search http://groups.google.com for "Please tell all pregnant women you
know..."

Old July 16th 05, 06:35 PM
V.

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
snip for brevity
Semisitting and dorsal delivery positions close the birth canal up to 30%.

Just about every other birth position allows the birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up to 30%.

Side-lying, hands-and-knees, knee-chest, crouching on one knee, squatting,
standing allow the birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30%.

snip for brevity

OK, I recognize all those positions except "knee-chest". All I can picture
is the typical birthing position shown on "Baby Story" etc...woman sort of
on her back/semi-sitting, holding her knees back to her chest, but I think
that's considered the semi-sitting position. Can you give a description of
what you mean by "knee-chest"?

Thanks,
Amy V.
EDD 11/25/05

Old July 17th 05, 03:47 PM
V.

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
in article , V. at wrote
on
7/16/05 10:35 AM:

[...]

Amy V.,

Knee-chest: Picture a woman on hands-and-knees. She lets her upper body
down so that she is resting her chest on the bed. That's knee-chest.

Thanks for calling this possible knee-chest position misunderstanding to
my
attention.

Others likely wondered what I was talking about.

Todd

PS For any new readers, semisitting, the typical birthing position shown
on
"Baby Story" (described above by Amy V.) should not be typical - it closes
the birth canal up to 30% because the woman is on her sacrum.

Ah, if this is not standard terminology, you might consider calling it a
"sphinx pose". That's the lingo used to describe this position when talking
about sleeping positions. Surprisingly comfortable to sleep in, actually!