Finally in to it all...

Old August 15th 08, 04:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Default Finally in to it all...

I thought I'd write this, because I remember someone else going through this
sometime ago, and worrying that it wasn't normal... I'm still not sure it
is, but it's common at least. It might not affect anyone else on here, but
Google will store it, and maybe someone else might realise they're not the
first...

When I was pregnant with Jessica, I found it hard to accept that I would
actually have a baby, after having 4 miscarriages before her. Every time I
had a scan, I expected them to tell me that there was no baby there, and
even when I went to be induced, I thought they'd send me home. That said, I
still bought all the stuff I wanted really quickly, and when I found out her
sex, I could at least name her, I just couldn't accept that it was all for
real. It just felt like a game I was playing.

This time round, I've found it really hard to get into this pregnancy,
despite how desperate I was to conceive. It didn't help that apart from my
heart rate keep going erratic, I didn't have any symptoms. I've had
absolutely no morning sickness, and a lot of the tiredness was down to
having a two year old running around. The old m/c fears were back as I just
didn't feel pregnant. Then, in June, when my DH lost his job, I went from
working a 40 hour week, to being at work 92 hours a week. I was just too
busy, too tired and too stressed to think about the pregnancy. It wasn't
really that much of an issue, until I found out that it was a boy. My
feelings actually worsened, not because I wanted another girl or anything
like that, but suddenly it seemed real, and with DH out of work, and bills
rising, I resented the baby for being another mouth to feed. I knew it
wasn't his fault, but then I had a fear of PND starting once he was born.
I've spent the last couple of months feeling terrified that I'd reject him
once he was born. Until a couple of weeks ago, I'd not bought anything at
all, just didn't want to know. We found a really nice crib for a really good
price then, and I thought that would help, but then I resented the money I'd
spent.

My husband started his new job last week. I sorted out my maternity leave,
so that I'll be cutting down from 64 hours to just 28 from the end of Sept,
then I'll start my leave in November. Jessica's started at a childminder
(not 100% convinced the childminder's as good as she promised, but that's a
different issue) and I'm finally starting to see a little light at the end
of the stress tunnel. Now that i can see I'm going to be able to make a bit
of progress, I'm trying to feel more positive about the whole thing. I'm no
longer regretting it out of fear that he would steal the precious little
time I get with Jessica, and I no longer resent him. Yesterday, I went out
and bought baby clothes for the first time this pregnancy, and today I
sorted out a set of drawers for his clothes. I felt the first spark of
excitement when I was buying clothes and bedding for him yesterday, and I
feel really encouraged by it. I was so scared I wouldn't be able to love
him.

I considered deleting this post, as I feel so ashamed that I had such
negative feelings towards a baby that I'd wanted so much. But, that's been
part of the problem for the last few months - I couldn't talk about it, as I
was worried people would hate me and judge me for my feelings. And I'm
guessing other people hide their feelings too sometimes. I'm hoping that if
someone else makes a google search because they're scared that they aren't
all in love with their pregnancy, that they'll know they're not a freak,
like I felt.

I've got 16 weeks to go. I'm starting that time by trying to visualise all
the positive aspects that he'll bring to our lives, and how Jessica will
react to him. They joys that I had before of breastfeeding and watching him
learn to smile, to move and all those first milestones. I'm still scared of
PND, but I know that if it does try to get me, I'll fight it.

Sorry for taking up such a long message, but it's also kind of cathartic to
express what I've not been able too.

Lucy x

Old August 15th 08, 04:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

16 weeks is a long time -- plenty of time to become excited, have
anticipation, and even fall in love with the boy growing in your belly.
Plenty of time. I'm glad you came here to share your feelings with us, and
hope that by sharing them, they have dissipated a bit. Hugs and congrats!
--

Jamie Clark

www.ClarkDigitalArts.com

Old August 15th 08, 06:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

lu-lu schrieb:
snip
Sorry for taking up such a long message, but it's also kind of cathartic to
express what I've not been able too.

I remember with Sara, and even with Sam, the feeling that babies can't
really grow inside another human! I mean, come on, an entire person in
my belly, that can't be right. Of course I know it's true and
everything, but still, I looked at my belly, talked to the baby and
everything but it was like the baby I'd be getting would somehow be a
different baby. I don't quite know how to explain it.
And in the last few weeks, every time I'd cuddle with Sam I worried
about what if I don't love the new baby as much as I love Sam. I mean,
what if I look at her and think "Good lord she's ugly!" or something.

And then she finally made her appearance and I looked at her and my
first thought wasn't "Oh my god she's beautiful" it was "Man she's huge!
Now I know why I was feeling so horrible." kind of thing. And my best
friend who was with me for the birth kept saying "Oh she's so beautiful"
and I thought "yeah, give me a break, it's a baby." and then they handed
her to me and I melted and oh she was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen *lol*
Another woman I met during birthing class for Sam said with her first
child it took her a day to get to the "Oh I love him" stage. So it's not
that uncommon to not feel the "love at first sight" thing.

cu
nicole
Old August 15th 08, 06:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elizabeth Johnson

lu-lu wrote:

This time round, I've found it really hard to get into this pregnancy,
despite how desperate I was to conceive. It didn't help that apart from my

I spent much of the pregnancy with my much wanted and planned 6 month
old thinking I must have been insane to want another. I waited until
the last few weeks of pregnancy to buy a car seat and make a new sling
for her. I'm thankful that once she was born, I became very happy and
had no regrets.

--Betsy
Old August 15th 08, 10:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Me Myself and I[_4_]

A lot of women can have these negative feeling right up until the birth of
the baby, but when that baby is placed in their arms generally the world
sort of aligns and things sort themselves.

It's perfectly normal to feel un-excited and on edge when you are SO busy.
You barely have time to have 5 minutes to think about yourself let alone
anyone at the moment xxx

I'm sure that when your hours drop down you will feel the release of stress
and will be able to allow yourself to get excited.
Take care.

--
Pip, in NZ

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
6 now and such a treasure.

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
3 1/2 now and so grown up

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old August 18th 08, 07:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co[_2_]

Hi Lucy

Just had to reply to your post to say you so are not alone. I planned my
baby, Harleigh but when I finally fell pregnant with her I became so scared
of what that pregnancy was going to bring, was it going to bring more hassle
from social services, they were not giving me a clear answer but said they
would need to do a pre-birth assessment but ve ry much doubted that the baby
would be removed like Joanna was but would deprend on the outcome of the
pre-birth assessment. I then worried would I cope with two children, a baby
and a toddler or would I lose it and wreck everything i'd worked for. I then
went through a stage of seriously thinking about terminating the pregnancy
because I didnt want to risk my safe place I was currently in as a mum. I
was so serious that I had the termination booked ect but then the thought of
terminating sickened me so I didnt go through that in the end and went ahead
with my pregnancy but was still so petrified I didnt really connect with the
baby and wanted something else to take control of the situation. Things
worked out in the end and I love being a new mum again but circumstances can
really change the joys of pregnancy.

Finally! Bev Single Parents 5 August 20th 06 03:30 PM
and finally.... Anne Rogers Breastfeeding 6 July 17th 06 06:25 PM
Oh Joy! Finally. kane Spanking 0 October 15th 04 12:02 AM
finally! turtledove Single Parents 1 July 23rd 03 09:04 AM
He is finally doing it!!! badgirl Breastfeeding 2 July 19th 03 10:38 AM