? dip in growth. WBC pushing solids!

Old September 24th 03, 08:39 PM
mitch

Default ? dip in growth. WBC pushing solids!

Hi everyone,

Well I have a few ? and need a bit of advice.

Emma is 16wks to-day. She was born on the 91st centile at 37wks and
after sitting on the 50th centile till about 10wks has dropped down to
the 25th. She was 7lb 7.5oz at birth and now weighs 11lb 8oz. So
averaged out she has just about put on 1lb per month. The well baby
clinic want me to start solids. Not happy about this. She doesn't
act hungry and she doesn't look thin. Just small. She sleeps from
10pm till around 6am and she seems alert and content. That said
sometimes like tonight I feel I am struggling with my supply.

She had her DTP Hib Polio and Men C at 10wks. She has had a cold the
last 2wks and I think she's teething. She's been chomping her hands
the last couple of days but when I offer she doesn't nessecarily want
to feed. If I put a finger to her gums she will bite down on it not
suck.

With all this going on should I be concerned enough about the dip in
her growth curve to start solids?

Do you think the WBC are being over sensitive about her growth because
I have T1 Diabetes and Hypo-Thyroid?

Sometimes I hear her fetch up into her throat and then she'll catch
her breath a bit. Could this be reflux?

When I questioned the Dr he said it was probably just an over
sensitive gag reflex.
I don't trust him too much since he sent me to the gyn ward 2yrs ago
when I had advanced Diabetic Ketoacidosis. He said I just had severe
morning sickness. I nearly died and I lost the baby. So I don't tend
to put a lot of faith in his judgment.
I've never doubted my ability to BF my daughter but my resolve is
beginning to waiver. I need some ++ vibes as they aren't coming from
anywhere around here.

Thanks for listening.
love and best wishes
Mitch
Old September 24th 03, 09:16 PM
Naomi Pardue

Ok. There are several issues here.

She was born on the 91st centile at 37wks and
after sitting on the 50th centile till about 10wks has dropped down to
the 25th. She was 7lb 7.5oz at birth and now weighs 11lb 8oz. So
averaged out she has just about put on 1lb per month.

That is definitely a low weight gain, low enough to warrent some concern.
However, pushing solids is not the answer. Solids contain no more calories
(and most contain LESS calories) than breastmilk, so they are unlikely to make
any difference.

How often does she feed during the day? While it usually isn't a problem for a
4 month old baby to sleep the night, since her weight gain is so low, you might
want to try feeding her more often, if she'll take it. (At least every two
hours during the day, and one or two night feeds would be a sensible goal to
aim for. While you can't make her eat if she isn't hungry, do offer it.)

Sometimes I hear her fetch up into her throat and then she'll catch
her breath a bit. Could this be reflux?

Does she spit up a lot? Reflux would usually show up in the baby actually
spitting up, not just gagging.

You would also want to have her checked for possible underlying health issues
that might be affecting her appetite and/or weight.(Low grade chronic
infections, for example.) While she could just be a healthy baby who is meant
to be small, it's worth ruling out possible problems before they become more
serious. And yeah, I would probably look for another doctor. Between the doc
who doesn't take your questions seriously, and the WB clinic that thinks solids
are the answer to low weight gain, you really need someone who knows a little
more about bfing.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old September 24th 03, 10:12 PM
Kereru

"mitch" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Going from my experience at four months she probably wouldn't be able to
take enough solids in to make a differnece.

If I were you I would take the advice of the experts on this group and
perhaps a lactation consultant and do what you can to increase supply.

Personally my instinct is that some clever supplementation (in other words
get some advice on how to do it without effecting your supply) of formula
would be better than starting solids this early as a last resort. My
reasoning being that we know that the baby gut isn't ready for solids yet
but formula while far from ideal is at least designed for a small baby's
digestive system.

Please those of you who know more about this stuff, and I know there are
plenty :-) correct me if I am wrong.

Oh yes and look for a new DR, if you have no confidence in the one you have
you are doing yourself no favours. Th elast thing you need as a new Mum is
your confidence undermined.

Good Luck

Judy

Old September 26th 03, 09:51 PM
mitch

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your response.

Personally my instinct is that some clever supplementation (in other words
get some advice on how to do it without effecting your supply) of formula
would be better than starting solids this early as a last resort. My
reasoning being that we know that the baby gut isn't ready for solids yet
but formula while far from ideal is at least designed for a small baby's
digestive system.

I don't think I would want to supplement with formula even with a SNS.
When Emma was born she was taken to NNU. She was tube fed with
formula and consistently threw it up. As she was having hypos they
then had to give her IV glucose.

Please those of you who know more about this stuff, and I know there are
plenty :-) correct me if I am wrong.

Oh yes and look for a new DR, if you have no confidence in the one you have
you are doing yourself no favours. Th elast thing you need as a new Mum is
your confidence undermined.

Know this fact but am finding it hard as he is also our neighbour and
my husbands family friend.

Good Luck

Thanks again.

Mitch

Judy

Old September 26th 03, 11:03 PM
mitch

Hi Naomi,

She was born on the 91st centile at 37wks and
after sitting on the 50th centile till about 10wks has dropped down to
the 25th. She was 7lb 7.5oz at birth and now weighs 11lb 8oz. So
averaged out she has just about put on 1lb per month.

That is definitely a low weight gain, low enough to warrent some concern.
However, pushing solids is not the answer. Solids contain no more calories
(and most contain LESS calories) than breastmilk, so they are unlikely to make
any difference.

I should also add that she dropped 20% while in hospital. She was in
NNU because of hypos induced by my diabetes. She was being tube fed
formula because she was sooo sleepy and would not suck. We'd get her
latched and then nothing. She'd just go back to sleep no matter what
we did. She wouldn't even suck a finger. The formula did not agree
with her and she would just spit up everything they gave her. She
ended up with an IV glucose as well.

She came out of hospital on the 50th and followed that till she was
about 10wks. She also had some tx for jaundice at 5wks.

How often does she feed during the day? While it usually isn't a problem for a
4 month old baby to sleep the night, since her weight gain is so low, you might
want to try feeding her more often, if she'll take it. (At least every two
hours during the day, and one or two night feeds would be a sensible goal to
aim for. While you can't make her eat if she isn't hungry, do offer it.)

She will already feed every two hours or less but they are short
feeds. She's not normally on there much longer than 10mins.

I've had her in bed with me the last few nights and if she stirs I
offer but it's usually refused or she takes so little that it's hardly
worth it. She's very difficult to keep awake during the night.

Sometimes I hear her fetch up into her throat and then she'll catch
her breath a bit. Could this be reflux?

Does she spit up a lot? Reflux would usually show up in the baby actually
spitting up, not just gagging.

She spits only small ammounts occasionally. I wondered as DS had
reflux but he never failed to thrive. He was nearly twice Emma's
weight by now.

You would also want to have her checked for possible underlying health issues
that might be affecting her appetite and/or weight.(Low grade chronic
infections, for example.) While she could just be a healthy baby who is meant
to be small, it's worth ruling out possible problems before they become more
serious. And yeah, I would probably look for another doctor. Between the doc
who doesn't take your questions seriously, and the WB clinic that thinks solids
are the answer to low weight gain, you really need someone who knows a little
more about bfing.

DS has lots of severe allergic reactions to some of the most unlikely
things so I am in no hurry to wean. His problems started when I
started to wean. He has athsma and exzema and severe allergic
rhinitis. There are times when his eyes swell up so much that they
close up completely. He can't go anywhere near soap.

I also wondered if when I have high blood glucose readings (having a
few at the moment due to BF) whether that would affect the quality of
my milk?

Thanks Naomi.

Mitch.
Old September 27th 03, 04:57 AM
Dawn Lawson

Naomi Pardue wrote:

Sometimes I hear her fetch up into her throat and then she'll catch
her breath a bit. Could this be reflux?

Does she spit up a lot? Reflux would usually show up in the baby actually
spitting up, not just gagging.

Not sure about that.
My DS *definately* had reflux, but rarely would spit up.
Lots of swallowing, gagging, etc.
Goes away by around 3 months. I was advised not to treat so mild a
case, other than by trying to elevate the head of the bed slightly, and
by feeding him slightly more upright (tho I still nursed sidelying, and
it was no better or worse)

Dawn

Old September 27th 03, 05:34 AM
Dawn Lawson

mitch wrote:

Hi everyone,

Well I have a few ? and need a bit of advice.

Emma is 16wks to-day. She was born on the 91st centile at 37wks and
after sitting on the 50th centile till about 10wks has dropped down to
the 25th. s She doesn't
act hungry and she doesn't look thin. Just small. She sleeps from
10pm till around 6am and she seems alert and content. That said
sometimes like tonight I feel I am struggling with my supply.
I've never doubted my ability to BF my daughter but my resolve is
beginning to waiver. I need some ++ vibes as they aren't coming from
anywhere around here.

Ok! ;-)

My DS was born just over the 50th centile for weight and today (12.5
mo)is just over the 10th and has been since around 9.5 mo. I had him
checked for a urinary tract infection, but he's utterly healthy.

He's never acted hungry (other than expected...), never looked thin,
just smallish, always been content, and very alert and happy (get
comments on how happy and alert he is every time we go anywhere. (Today
it was a heavily tattooed young guy at the rock products yard...took me
by surprise!))

I've had a few times where I felt like my supply wasn't keeping up, and
i've got no supply issues at all....I'd note those feelings and then let
them pass.

What was YOUR and her dad's weight pattern like? Are you big families,
body size wise??
++++ vibes your way. (plus you can get hand me downs and keep her
clothes going longer! ;-) My dude just went to bed in his 6-9m
jammies..a bit short, but otherwise fit fine.)

Dawn

Old September 27th 03, 10:30 PM
mitch

Dawn Lawson wrote in message news:jr8db.18251$O85.728@pd7tw1no...

Ok! ;-)

My DS was born just over the 50th centile for weight and today (12.5
mo)is just over the 10th and has been since around 9.5 mo. I had him
checked for a urinary tract infection, but he's utterly healthy.

He's never acted hungry (other than expected...), never looked thin,
just smallish, always been content, and very alert and happy (get
comments on how happy and alert he is every time we go anywhere. (Today
it was a heavily tattooed young guy at the rock products yard...took me
by surprise!))

LOL

I've had a few times where I felt like my supply wasn't keeping up, and
i've got no supply issues at all....I'd note those feelings and then let
them pass.

The times when I feel I am struggling with my supply are usually
resolved in a day or two and I just put it down to her building
supply. I've just had so many negative comments from the nurses at
the WBC that I was starting to wonder if I was missing something.

What was YOUR and her dad's weight pattern like? Are you big families,
body size wise??

DH is 6' but I am 5' 1" and I really believe Emma was never meant to
be that big. I have diabetes and she was ever so slightly macrosomic.
The rest of my family all have little 5/6lb'ers at term. Emma looks
chubby and totally in proportion. If she was the weight they are
telling me she should be I'm sure she'd be huge.

++++ vibes your way. (plus you can get hand me downs and keep her
clothes going longer! ;-) My dude just went to bed in his 6-9m
jammies..a bit short, but otherwise fit fine.)

Dawn

Thanks Dawn. This was just the sort of ++ I needed to hear. I
really don't feel there is anything wrong with her. She is happy,
content, alert and from what I can tell healthy. She has the
requisite ammount of wet and dirty nappies and rarely cries.

Mitch
Old September 27th 03, 11:52 PM
Beth

Not sure about that.
My DS *definately* had reflux, but rarely would spit up.
Lots of swallowing, gagging, etc.

That is also my experience. DS would sound a tiny bit stridorous and go red
in the eyes, but usually did not spit up.

Went away by 3-4 months. Just sticking with one breast, sometimes the same
one in consecutive feeds, worked for us, as well as trying to elevate his
head more.

Beth

Old September 28th 03, 12:07 AM
Dawn Lawson

mitch wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote in message news:jr8db.18251$O85.728@pd7tw1no...

The times when I feel I am struggling with my supply are usually
resolved in a day or two and I just put it down to her building
supply.

Yup. Note the feelings, count diapers and let it go.

I've just had so many negative comments from the nurses at
the WBC that I was starting to wonder if I was missing something.

Dont think so.

What was YOUR and her dad's weight pattern like? Are you big families,
body size wise??

DH is 6' but I am 5' 1" and I really believe Emma was never meant to
be that big. I have diabetes and she was ever so slightly macrosomic.
The rest of my family all have little 5/6lb'ers at term. Emma looks
chubby and totally in proportion. If she was the weight they are
telling me she should be I'm sure she'd be huge.

She'd be obese. She's fine. Do they have ANYTHING other than a slight
drop in weight to push solids??? FWIW, my DS dropped AFTER he started
solids, and he's a good eater, and is STILL on the 10th centile line.
We were at his cousin's bday yesterday and he ate more than the 5yo and
the 3yo combined. The 3yo is huge (tall/dense, not fat) for her age,
the 5yo is biggish.

++++ vibes your way. (plus you can get hand me downs and keep her
clothes going longer! ;-) My dude just went to bed in his 6-9m
jammies..a bit short, but otherwise fit fine.)

Dawn

Thanks Dawn. This was just the sort of ++ I needed to hear. I
really don't feel there is anything wrong with her. She is happy,
content, alert and from what I can tell healthy. She has the
requisite ammount of wet and dirty nappies and rarely cries.

Doesn't sound like a thing.
I really notice that if you're not parenting from a position of being
fearful, you get a lot of hassle. (you generically)
I'd say carry on, hold off on solids til you're both ready, and don't worry.

BFd babies often drop a bit on the charts.

Dawn

Study Links ADHD Drugs to Growth Delays M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-April 5, 2004 Kids Health 3 April 6th 04 02:27 PM
Medical Abstracts re Intro of Solids? Belphoebe Breastfeeding 3 August 25th 03 02:13 PM
poop, solids vent.. ted Breastfeeding 3 August 14th 03 04:44 PM
solids and a 6 month old DavesFatChick Breastfeeding 4 July 28th 03 08:21 PM
growth spurt Lucy Breastfeeding 0 July 14th 03 06:40 PM