A Few More Questionds For Those With Experience

Old March 14th 04, 05:58 AM
Wrangler 4x4

Default A Few More Questionds For Those With Experience

My wife is cutting out dairy and eggs to help our gassy baby. Are
acidic or spicy foods ok? How about greasy or fried foods? Also, she
is starting to feed our baby from a bottle (her milk). How much should
he get per feeding if he is less than a month old? She will be
returning to work soon and we plan on bottle feeding when she is away.
Last but not least, if she starts using a balm for her nipples, should
she wash it off before breastfeeding. She has some that is specificly
for nursing mothers and is supposed to be all natural.
Thanks

Old March 14th 04, 06:48 AM
Nikki

Wrangler 4x4 wrote:
My wife is cutting out dairy and eggs to help our gassy baby. Are
acidic or spicy foods ok? How about greasy or fried foods?

I think this is individual. I never had a problem with acidic, spicy,
greasy, or fried goods.

Also, she
is starting to feed our baby from a bottle (her milk). How much
should he get per feeding if he is less than a month old?

When I was just giving mine a bottle to get them in practice (before I went
to work) I never gave them more then 2-3 ounces. Since it was just for
practice they didn't need much and I didn't have to use as much milk that
way.

if she starts using a balm for her nipples, should
she wash it off before breastfeeding. She has some that is specificly
for nursing mothers and is supposed to be all natural.

If that is lanolin then you don't have to wash it off.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 14th 04, 01:11 PM
Bach

(Wrangler 4x4) wrote in message ...
My wife is cutting out dairy and eggs to help our gassy baby. Are
acidic or spicy foods ok? How about greasy or fried foods?

This wouldn't hurt, but I've found that babies are just gassy in the
first couple months. I suggest giving mylicon drops and often
bringing babies knees up to his stomach to help relieve them.
Also, she
is starting to feed our baby from a bottle (her milk). How much should
he get per feeding if he is less than a month old? She will be
returning to work soon and we plan on bottle feeding when she is away.

Let the baby be your guide. start out small so that you are not
heating up any more milk than necessary, and if baby is still hungry,
have another small portion available to feed them. You would like to
get a good idea of how much baby will really need per feeding. of
course there will be times that you don't have enough in the bottle,
or times when baby will not drink it all. But, you'll have a good
idea of the average amount.
Last but not least, if she starts using a balm for her nipples, should
she wash it off before breastfeeding. She has some that is specificly
for nursing mothers and is supposed to be all natural.

I use Lansinoh and you don't have to wash it off since it is pure
lanolin. I always found that my baby made funny "ick" faces when he
would nurse after i freshly applied the lanolin. if your baby is an
unstable latcher, or has problems nursing, i would suggest that your
wife not put too much on her nipple (of course, unless your baby
doesn't seem bothered by the flavor)
Thanks

Old March 15th 04, 10:38 AM
Mary Ann Tuli

Wrangler 4x4 wrote:

My wife is cutting out dairy and eggs to help our gassy baby. Are
acidic or spicy foods ok? How about greasy or fried foods?

It might be that the baby is just gassy. Don't assume that it is caused
by something your wife ate. It seems a shame to have to watch and
restrict what you're eating when it might be something the baby will
grow out of, or might be something that a different nursing position
might help with. Has your wife kept a food diary? This might help to
pinpoint certain trigger foods. Or if the baby tends to be gassy at a
certain time of day regardless then it might just be that he gets gassy
in the evening (or whatever).

Also, she
is starting to feed our baby from a bottle (her milk). How much should
he get per feeding if he is less than a month old? She will be
returning to work soon and we plan on bottle feeding when she is away.

At this stage, I would focus on not reducing the amount of nursing in
place of bottle feeding. Even though your wife will be expressing which
will keep her supply up, it is not as efficient as nursing and cannot
replace the physiological side of nursing (skin to skin contact etc).
You really need to follow your baby's lead. I would offer it at a time
when everyone is relaxed, perhaps in the morning rather than evening
(when supply will probably be higher too). A couple of oz should be fine.

Last but not least, if she starts using a balm for her nipples, should
she wash it off before breastfeeding. She has some that is specificly
for nursing mothers and is supposed to be all natural.

Not sure about that, but it's probably fine to not wash off.

Good luck and well done :-)

Mary Ann

Old March 15th 04, 12:06 PM
Anne Rogers

Default underwired bras

the other night I had to go to a dinner where the dress code was black
tie, small panic, then started trying on dresses which I hadn't worn since
before the baby was born, thankfully one fitted no problems, but I decided
I needed to wear a bra, and it needed to be strapless, I figured wearing
one for 6 hours would not be a problem and I managed to buy one easily.

That evening, I fed ds about 45 mins (around 6.30pm) earlier than usual
and got dressed to go out, I got back around 11.30pm and undressed, I
noticed I felt much fuller than usual for that time of night, I wondered
if the wires had somehow been stimulating production?

I went to bed and woke about 4 hours later and wished that ds had woken me
as I was so full. Thankfully he woke at 5.45 and he had a good munch, but
still left one side very full, I pumped 4oz with an ISIS in about 3
minutes, whilst making a cup of tea with my other hand!

I also pumped another 4oz with my Purely Yours despite feeding ds as
usual!

Today things seem to have calmed down other than one spot which feels
slightly sore.

Seems I was wrong, even a short time wearing an underwired bra has caused
problems.
Old March 15th 04, 02:40 PM
Nikki

Anne Rogers wrote:

Seems I was wrong, even a short time wearing an underwired bra has
caused problems.

I realize each person is different so I'm not saying they don't cause a
problem for you. In the interest of sharing information with the whole
group - YMMV :-)

I've worn nothing but underwire bra's with no problem. If I'm reading your
post right you went 9 hours without nursing or pumping. I would have become
engorged doing that until Hunter was about 15mos and Luke about 8mos.

Hope you had fun :-) I get to go to a fancy affair this summer and am
really looking forward to it.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 15th 04, 05:45 PM
Irrational Number

Wrangler 4x4 wrote:

[...] Also, she
is starting to feed our baby from a bottle (her milk). How much should
he get per feeding if he is less than a month old?

Try to have your wife not be the person who feeds
using the bottle. It should be you or anyone else.
You want the baby to know that mom is special so
that, even if the bottle is easier, he'll want to nurse
because it's with mom.

-- Anita --

Old March 15th 04, 07:22 PM

Anne Rogers wrote in message .cam.ac.uk...
[...]

I wear underwire bras almost exclusively and haven't ever had any
problems. However, the few times that I've gone out after DS had his
last nursing of the night and was in bed, I've been engorged when I
came home even though DS sleeps through the night most of the time and
I don't wake up that engorged. I don't know if being awake and moving
around and eating/drinking just keep the breasts in daytime mode or
what.

Manda
Old March 16th 04, 02:16 AM
Deirdre

Anne Rogers wrote:

Seems I was wrong, even a short time wearing an underwired bra has
caused problems.

If I remember what I've read correctly, the concern over underwires is that
they may cause blocked ducts somehow. (Fuzzy on the details, I am. Sorry).

--
Deirdre, in the company of Baby Beastie

Old March 16th 04, 09:09 AM
Anne Rogers

I've worn nothing but underwire bra's with no problem. If I'm reading your
post right you went 9 hours without nursing or pumping. I would have become
engorged doing that until Hunter was about 15mos and Luke about 8mos.

yep that's right, its often 11 hours as ds usually sleeps through these
days, so I'm full, but not engorged

First had experience Vic General 0 May 19th 04 03:52 PM
Any experience? Fer Pregnancy 3 March 13th 04 01:00 AM
Our breastfeeding experience KS Breastfeeding 11 October 21st 03 01:18 AM
Alimentum / Pregestimil experience ? Parker T. Breastfeeding 5 October 9th 03 09:49 PM
Any experience with late starters? Roxy Breastfeeding 8 August 5th 03 07:18 PM