NST today @ 32w4d

Old August 9th 05, 06:39 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:50:00 -0700, Amy wrote:

The nurse told me that magnesium is 1) not absorbed well, and 2) a
muscle relaxer, and that if you take enough that it's absorbing, it
might interfere with your uterus's ability to go into labor, because it
is acting as a muscle relaxant.

As far as I know, she's partly right.

The absorption depends on which form of magnesium you take. Common is
magnesium-oxide, which is indeed not absorbed well. I take an alternative
form (forgot which one) which does a better job. It is indeed a relaxant,
but I doubt it would stop labour. I've had loads of BH contractions which
would only stop when I would drink and rest, no matter how much magnesium
tablets I would consume...

Recently I've been taking my tablets before going to bed, to limit the
night-time contractions so I can get some sleep. They are much less,
but the real ones are still there and still wake me up. So I figure, if
the hormones decide it's time, no mountain of magnesium will hold it back ;-)

Anyway, check with your doctor before starting any new supplements.

That's always a good idea

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)
Old August 9th 05, 06:47 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:32:45 -0700, Joybelle wrote:

It is actually because the baby has been diagnosed via u/s to have spina
bifida and has developed hydrocephalus along with that.

I'm sorry, I must have completely missed that post! That must have been
quite a shock for you to find out. Before asking you a gazillion
questions, I'll try to find that thread. Is there any idea how serious the
conditions are at this time?

Thanks for the suggestions! I must be lacking in something because last
night they were cramping up.

It's a common pregnancy symptom, not necessarily a lack of anything. Your
body just has a harder time getting rid of the muscle waist products in
your legs, due to the pressure of your uterus.

Old August 10th 05, 02:52 AM
Joybelle

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:32:45 -0700, Joybelle wrote:

It is actually because the baby has been diagnosed via u/s to have spina
bifida and has developed hydrocephalus along with that.

I'm sorry, I must have completely missed that post! That must have been
quite a shock for you to find out. Before asking you a gazillion
questions, I'll try to find that thread. Is there any idea how serious the
conditions are at this time?

It was quite a shock. I think I probably posted about it when you were
getting settled into your new home (mid- to late June). As for how serious
they think it is, it is admitted it's hard to tell, but they feel it is a
lesion at lumbar 4. Which is usually paralysis from the knees down. Last
u/s (July 8, I think), the hydrocephalus had begun to develop. We will
certainly find out more at birth (which will most likely be a c-section
around 38 weeks).

Thanks for the suggestions! I must be lacking in something because last
night they were cramping up.

It's a common pregnancy symptom, not necessarily a lack of anything. Your
body just has a harder time getting rid of the muscle waist products in
your legs, due to the pressure of your uterus.

You want to know what silly little worry has been going through my head?
Blood clot because it is mostly in one leg. I'm scared to massage it.
Totally irrational, I know... It is better today, and I think it came from
standing too much on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for you help, Ilse!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 10th 05, 09:47 AM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:52:32 -0700, Joybelle wrote:

As for how serious they think it is, it is admitted it's hard to tell,
but they feel it is a lesion at lumbar 4. Which is usually paralysis
from the knees down. Last u/s (July 8, I think), the hydrocephalus had
begun to develop. We will certainly find out more at birth (which will
most likely be a c-section around 38 weeks).

Sounds like you have a tough road ahead of you (((Joy)))! Strength and
good vibes to you and yours.

You want to know what silly little worry has been going through my head?
Blood clot because it is mostly in one leg. I'm scared to massage it.
Totally irrational, I know... It is better today, and I think it came
from standing too much on Saturday and Sunday.

Hehe, hormonal irrationality, also a common pregnancy symptom... ;-) Glad
to hear it's improving. You're probably right that is was due to standing
up too much.

Old August 10th 05, 10:57 PM
Joybelle

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:52:32 -0700, Joybelle wrote:

As for how serious they think it is, it is admitted it's hard to tell,
but they feel it is a lesion at lumbar 4. Which is usually paralysis
from the knees down. Last u/s (July 8, I think), the hydrocephalus had
begun to develop. We will certainly find out more at birth (which will
most likely be a c-section around 38 weeks).

Sounds like you have a tough road ahead of you (((Joy)))! Strength and
good vibes to you and yours.

Thank you very much, Ilse!!

You want to know what silly little worry has been going through my head?
Blood clot because it is mostly in one leg. I'm scared to massage it.
Totally irrational, I know... It is better today, and I think it came
from standing too much on Saturday and Sunday.

Hehe, hormonal irrationality, also a common pregnancy symptom... ;-) Glad
to hear it's improving. You're probably right that is was due to standing
up too much.

MUCH better today, so I'm guessing the standing is what did it. Gotta love
the hormonal irrationality, though...

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 11th 05, 09:58 PM
Jenrose

It's the positioning ones I need the answer to... I think I have a good
solution, but it all sort of depends on how much of the back needs to be
"open" and for how long. For example, if baby only needs that area
completely free of pressure for 1 month, what I make will be different from
what I'd make if you need that area open for the first year.

I have something I can send "now" that will help in the short term if
necessary--it's called a "tai one on" and can be seen at www.lovewrap.com .
Someone sent it to me to see it and try it, free, so I dont' mind passing it
along. I need another carrier like I need a hole in my head according to DH.
It's a lovely shade of plum purple with a pale orchid background, but
will do the trick for short term. It's basically a long, padded strap--you
would put it on in a different way than is shown on the site, but it will
stay completely out of teh way of baby's back. I'm thinking about making you
a denim-strapped podaegi (Korean carrier) with polar fleece padding around
where the baby is and interlock knit for the blanket. You wouldn't use the
blanket until baby's healed enough to have pressure on his back.

Jenrose

"Joybelle" wrote in message

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1123535142.4ef255ddfe3cdab0bfb929d2abb625f1@t eranews...

Glad results were good.... have you gotten my recent emails?

Hey, Jenrose,
The last one I got was on August 1 (color and my style... I think I
responded to that one). I haven't been able to respond to the one with
the
questions regarding positioning, etc, because I haven't spoken to the
perinatologists yet. Have there been more recent ones?

Thanks!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99