Help with a camp activity

Old May 22nd 04, 02:25 PM
Donna Metler

Default when is reading taught ( Help with a camp activity)

"Kevin Karplus" wrote in message
In article , Bev Brandt

wrote:
Luna wrote in message

.. .
I do think it's sad
if that's no longer the case.

I'm sorely tempted to turn this into a private versus public school
thread, but I won't...I don't think...I've already deleted 3 responses
that did exactly that, so we'll see about this one.

You really don't think that reading is not taught in kindergarten at
public schools, do you? Good news. It is.

That depends on where you live. In Seattle, they push reading really
hard in kindergarten---the school my sone went to for 2 months did
almost nothing else. In Santa Cruz, reading is taught in first grade,
and kindergarten only covers letters, letter sounds, and the kids' own
names. (Caveat: the Santa Cruz kindergarten was a bilingual one, and
so may have been paced differently from monolingual ones.)

With the big "read by grade 3" push, there is a really strong emphasis on
reading in kindergarten and 1st grade, which has many kindergarten teachers
upset on the teacher groups I frequent. It also seems to be assumed, more
and more, by the curriculum writers at textbook companies that
kindergarteners come in already knowing letters, sounds, names of objects,
etc-which frustrates the teachers at my school, because our students don't
come in with these skills, which USED to be taught in kindergarten.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Biomolecular Engineering, University of California, Santa

Cruz
Affiliations for identification only.

Old May 22nd 04, 03:01 PM
LFortier

Donna Metler wrote:

With the big "read by grade 3" push, there is a really strong emphasis on
reading in kindergarten and 1st grade, which has many kindergarten teachers
upset on the teacher groups I frequent. It also seems to be assumed, more
and more, by the curriculum writers at textbook companies that
kindergarteners come in already knowing letters, sounds, names of objects,
etc-which frustrates the teachers at my school, because our students don't
come in with these skills, which USED to be taught in kindergarten.

I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader (for another week,
anyway :-( ), and I saw a difference in the K expectations
between the two of them. With the oldest, I don't think
that children were required to be reading to leave K. With
the youngest, they did have to be reading on a basic level.
I'm sure it has to to with making sure everyone is a
strong reader for the standardized do-or-die tests in 3rd grade.

Lesley

Old May 22nd 04, 03:41 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Donna Metler wrote:

"Kevin Karplus" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Bev Brandt

wrote:
Luna wrote in message

.. .
I do think it's sad
if that's no longer the case.

I'm sorely tempted to turn this into a private versus public school
thread, but I won't...I don't think...I've already deleted 3 responses
that did exactly that, so we'll see about this one.

You really don't think that reading is not taught in kindergarten at
public schools, do you? Good news. It is.

That depends on where you live. In Seattle, they push reading really
hard in kindergarten---the school my sone went to for 2 months did
almost nothing else. In Santa Cruz, reading is taught in first grade,
and kindergarten only covers letters, letter sounds, and the kids' own
names. (Caveat: the Santa Cruz kindergarten was a bilingual one, and
so may have been paced differently from monolingual ones.)

This sounds about the same as the monolingual schools around here.
It seems perfectly appropriate to me. Some kids are ready to learn
earlier, and the kindergarten teachers are happy to support those kids,
but they don't "push" reading in K.

If the OP works with kids who speak and read 4 lanugages by age 5, I'd
submit that those kids were far from "average kids" to begin with.

With the big "read by grade 3" push, there is a really strong emphasis on
reading in kindergarten and 1st grade, which has many kindergarten teachers
upset on the teacher groups I frequent.

Is there any evidence that kids pushed in K learn to read any earlier or
better than kids not so pushed? In my limited experience, kids "get"
reading when they're ready, and pushing it earlier doesn't tend to
make them ready earlier. Of course, for those ready early, in whom
that readiness might not be noticed otherwise, it would help. But I
am guessing that those kids who were not reading well by the end or 3rd
before they started pushing reading in K are not going to benefit much
from being pushed in K.

--Robyn

Old May 22nd 04, 10:11 PM
Penny Gaines

Robyn Kozierok wrote in :

[snip]
Is there any evidence that kids pushed in K learn to read any earlier or
better than kids not so pushed? In my limited experience, kids "get"
reading when they're ready, and pushing it earlier doesn't tend to
make them ready earlier. Of course, for those ready early, in whom
that readiness might not be noticed otherwise, it would help. But I
am guessing that those kids who were not reading well by the end or 3rd
before they started pushing reading in K are not going to benefit much
from being pushed in K.

I've seen figures comparing continental European children with British
children. The European children in the study (I think they were Danish,
but it could have been Dutch or Swedish) were taught reading starting
at an age when the British children were assumed to already be reading,
but overtook them later.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old May 22nd 04, 10:12 PM
Penny Gaines

Default Help with a camp activity

Luna wrote in :
[snip]
Ok, I'll suggest the older kid/younger kid pairing.**At*training*they
actually suggest that if two kids are fighting, make them be buddies for
the rest of the day.**I*don't*know*how*well*that*will*work*with*th e*kids
in practice, but we'll see.**With*the*kids*I*work*with*now,*it*seems*the
only ones that fight are siblings or best friends.**They*get*in*screaming
matches, someone ends up crying, they complain to me about it, and 5
minutes later they're playing again like nothing happened.

Don't buddy siblings!

When I was a teen, I went to Guide camp with my sister, and we were put
in the same tent because we got on so well at Guides. It didn't work
that well.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old May 23rd 04, 03:13 AM
Rosalie B.

Penny Gaines wrote:

Robyn Kozierok wrote in :

[snip]
Is there any evidence that kids pushed in K learn to read any earlier or
better than kids not so pushed? In my limited experience, kids "get"
reading when they're ready, and pushing it earlier doesn't tend to
make them ready earlier. Of course, for those ready early, in whom
that readiness might not be noticed otherwise, it would help. But I
am guessing that those kids who were not reading well by the end or 3rd
before they started pushing reading in K are not going to benefit much
from being pushed in K.

I've seen figures comparing continental European children with British
children. The European children in the study (I think they were Danish,
but it could have been Dutch or Swedish) were taught reading starting
at an age when the British children were assumed to already be reading,
but overtook them later.

There have also been studies of Head Start programs where the kids
that had HS were ahead of those that did not, but that by about 2nd
grade there was no difference.

grandma Rosalie

Old May 23rd 04, 09:06 PM
Jeff

"Luna" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jeff" wrote:

I would talk to the folks at the Y camp. I bet they have plans for

indoor
games already.

Jeff

lol. I AM one of the folks at the Y camp.

Oh, I meant the supervisors. But this is good as well, because they get you
thinking about what you have to do. It will be a good learning experience
for you, and the kids in your charge. As long as they help you be prepared,
you will be fine.

Jeff

Old May 24th 04, 02:29 PM
Bev Brandt

Penny Gaines wrote in message ...
Luna wrote in :
[snip]
Ok, I'll suggest the older kid/younger kid pairing.**At*training*they
actually suggest that if two kids are fighting, make them be buddies for
the rest of the day.**I*don't*know*how*well*that*will*work*with*th e*kids
in practice, but we'll see.**

Yeah...it depends on the nature of the fighting. I'm guarded on that
as you seem to be. I can see maybe a peer arbitration type of thing,
but putting together two kids who really don't get along...I'm not
convinced.

With*the*kids*I*work*with*now,*it*seems*the
only ones that fight are siblings or best friends.**They*get*in*screaming
matches, someone ends up crying, they complain to me about it, and 5
minutes later they're playing again like nothing happened.

Don't buddy siblings!

When I was a teen, I went to Guide camp with my sister, and we were put
in the same tent because we got on so well at Guides. It didn't work
that well.

A "me-too-ish" post. The buddy system I described at my kids' school
doesn't pair up siblings. I asked specifically about my daughter and
her younger brother since by the time he gets to kindy, she'll be old
enough to be his "buddy." They said they don't do that for two
reasons: sibling stuff and to encourage kids to get to know others
outside their family. They also put twins in separate classes for the
same reasons.

- Bev

Iron on & sew on clothing name tapes / labels for summer camp Leslie Hartsman General 1 December 16th 04 09:33 PM
Camp Kender General 6 April 3rd 04 06:25 PM
summer camp in N. California Tom & Sandy Farley General (moderated) 0 February 23rd 04 01:26 PM
RECALL: "Amazing Baby™ Listen and Play" activity books DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 7th 03 09:59 PM
Review: Camp (*) Steve Rhodes General 0 August 9th 03 04:13 AM