POLL: Math questions regarding upper elementary school (xpost to m.k.)

Old October 17th 03, 03:02 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default POLL: Math questions regarding upper elementary school (xpost to m.k.)

In article ,
Hillary Israeli wrote:

OK, WTF is a stem and leaf plot? I found this discussion online:
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/...ons/steml.html and frankly it
is confusing the hell out of me.

That's where I was going to send you for a good explanation :-O

It's just basically a chart where numbers are grouped by all but their
least significant digit so that you can more easily see which ranges
of numbers show up most often. So to plot grades, like someone else
here suggested, if you have grades like 34 56 63 65 68 72 72 73 75 77 78
79 80 82 83 83 85 86 89 94 96 99 100, your chart would end up looking like

-----|----------
3 | 4
5 | 6
7 | 2235789
8 | 0233569
10 | 0

This way of organizing the data makes it clearer where most of the
grades fell at first glance (70's and 80's)

Each digit on the right side represents one instance of a number that
fell into that category so we have 2235789 next to the 7, representing
72 72 73 75 77 78 and 79.

--Robyn

Old October 17th 03, 05:37 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

*
* |
*-----|----------
* 3 | 4
* 5 | 6
* 6 | 358
* 7 | 2235789
* 8 | 0233569
* 9 | 469
* 10 | 0
*
*This way of organizing the data makes it clearer where most of the
*grades fell at first glance (70's and 80's)

This looks like a weird-ass way of making a graph! I guess I just don't
really see the point. That's ok.

Thanks.

Old October 17th 03, 05:48 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Hillary Israeli wrote:

This looks like a weird-ass way of making a graph! I guess I just don't
really see the point. That's ok.

I think that's probably what most 4th graders get out of it as well. ;-)
It's not complicated to learn to make one, but I don't think many of them
really see the point. While I *do* see the point of using them to
illustrate some types of data quickly and easily, I *don't* see the point
of insisting on 4th or 6th or even 8th graders mastering this particular
skill.

--Robyn

Old October 17th 03, 06:27 PM
David desJardins

Hillary Israeli writes:
-----|----------
3 | 4
5 | 6
7 | 2235789
8 | 0233569
10 | 0

This looks like a weird-ass way of making a graph! I guess I just don't
really see the point. That's ok.

The main point is to summarize all of the data in a way that makes it
possible to go back to the raw observations. So, if you wanted to
compute some other statistics on the distribution, or answer any other
questions about the data, the information is there for you to do so.

Whether this is something that most 4th or 6th graders would care about,
or would be useful to them, is another question.

David desJardins

Old October 17th 03, 07:53 PM
Banty

In article , chiam margalit
says...

Could you please answer the following questions IF you have a child
who has entered 4th grade. It's OK for your child to be older, but I
only need information regarding 4th grade math for a client of mine.
I need responses from *every* US state as well as from overseas. I'm
looking for a wide dispersal of respondants, so if you have friends
with kids in this age group, please don't hesitate to forward this.
TIA!

Now that Robyn's explanation has given me an "oh yeah!" moment...

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

New York

What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

6th

Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

Public school.

Is your child in a gifted or Resource Room program?

No.

What math Texts does your child use?

In 4th grade he used handouts prepared every day. In 5th grade there was a
text, but he kept it at school, and it was supplemented by handouts.

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

Yes (now that Robyn shows it - I remember him asking me about it, us doing it)

During what grade?

5th grade

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

Not as a parent. Not even as an engineer.

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

My son. When I was age 48.

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

If reminded about it.

Could you explain a stem and leaf plot without the text to a friend or
neighbor?

I'd have to draw up an example like Robyn's.

Does your school use Connected Math?

Huh? Please explain. (There might be another 'oh yeah' moment lurking..)

Banty (whither the New Math?)

Old October 17th 03, 08:42 PM
LFortier

chiam margalit wrote:

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

North Carolina

What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

5th (and second)

Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

Public

Is your child in a gifted or Resource Room program?

yes, but in language arts

What math Texts does your child use?

Harcourt, I believe. I never see it.

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

No

During what grade?

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

Not until this question.

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

Google. 37

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

She could if someone showed her how. She doesn't "intuit"
math, so she probably wouldn't figure it out on her own.

Could you explain a stem and leaf plot without the text to a friend or
neighbor?

Not unless I read up on it more.

Does your school use Connected Math?

No. but I have heard talk of a new math method that is not
thrilling the teachers.

Lesley

Old October 17th 03, 11:08 PM
just me

"David desJardins" wrote in message
Hillary Israeli writes:
-----|----------
3 | 4
5 | 6
7 | 2235789
8 | 0233569
10 | 0

This looks like a weird-ass way of making a graph! I guess I just don't
really see the point. That's ok.

The main point is to summarize all of the data in a way that makes it
possible to go back to the raw observations. So, if you wanted to
compute some other statistics on the distribution, or answer any other
questions about the data, the information is there for you to do so.

Whether this is something that most 4th or 6th graders would care about,
or would be useful to them, is another question.

So what are the usual applications in real life?

-Aula

Old October 17th 03, 11:18 PM
David desJardins

Aula writes:
The main point is to summarize all of the data in a way that makes it
possible to go back to the raw observations. So, if you wanted to
compute some other statistics on the distribution, or answer any other
questions about the data, the information is there for you to do so.

So what are the usual applications in real life?

Kevin posted a good example: giving the distribution of test scores to
the students in his class. It's a graphical representation of the data,
which also gives all of the raw data to the students, so if they want to
know (for example) how many students scored above them, the data is
right there.

David desJardins

Old October 17th 03, 11:47 PM
just me

Aula writes:
So what are the usual applications in real life?

Kevin posted a good example: giving the distribution of test scores to
the students in his class. It's a graphical representation of the data,
which also gives all of the raw data to the students, so if they want to
know (for example) how many students scored above them, the data is
right there.

Are there any other applications that are used at least in research or
something? While students may like to know grade distributions, that isn't
quite what I was thinking of as "real life"..... What is the real value of
knowing this type of representation of data?

-Aula

Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again Jon Walters General 1142 August 25th 05 03:27 PM
How Children REALLY React To Control Chris General 444 July 20th 04 07:14 PM
Math program LFortier General 30 January 28th 04 06:41 AM
Choosing a preschool Cheryl S. General 58 November 4th 03 03:04 PM
POLL: Question about upper elementary math chiam margalit General 19 October 20th 03 12:46 AM