uterine contraction ring

Old August 11th 05, 04:13 AM
Plissken

Default uterine contraction ring

A friend had posted this on a local board and I thought that posting it here
would be much better....
Has anyone been told that they had a uterine contraction ring (UCR) and had
a subsequent pregnancy? What was your experience the next time round? Was
VBAC even considered an option?

I was told I had a UCR with my first and am wondering if that means I'll
automatically have to have a c-section if I get pregnant again.

Old August 11th 05, 06:44 AM
Jamie Clark

Never heard of such a thing. Sorry!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old August 11th 05, 06:57 AM
Jamie Clark

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3280.htm

A few choice snippets...

Dystocia is defined as abnormal or difficult labor. The opposite of
dystocia is eutocia, which is normal labor. Dystocia is often an indication
for operative delivery, with its associated complications. Therefore, a
diagnosis of dystocia has a significant impact on the health care system.
Dystocia entails a vast number of influencing factors that include both
maternal and fetal entities. Accurately diagnosing dystocia is crucial. The
cesarean delivery rate for the past 20 years in the United States has
consistently been 50-75% higher than the rate in Europe. The increase in the
cesarean delivery rate in the United States is believed to be partly due to
the fear of litigation, influencing physicians to perhaps prematurely
diagnose dystocia and other indications. Interestingly, in some European
countries, the cesarean delivery rate is rising in response to the
increasing incidence of litigation in those countries.

Dystocia is considered the result of any of the following during labor: (1)
abnormalities of expulsive forces; (2) abnormalities of presentation,
position, or development of the fetus; and (3) abnormalities of the maternal
bony pelvis or birth canal. Frequently, combinations of these 3 interact to
produce a dysfunctional labor.

Later on they say that the methods to deal with this issue are meds like
pitocin to help make contractions regular (the #1 issue above, explusive
forces) or forceps/vacuum, or c-section, all depending on the reason for the
dysfunctional labor.

Overall, the cynic in me is thinking that this is just another reason for
doctors to induce and push interventions. Oh, labor is too slow, it's
dysfunctional, it's dystocia... Give it a Latin name and it sounds much
worse than it really is.

I think that every labor and delivery is different, and I'd want my health
care practioner to be open minded and let me labor on my own for a while
without jumping to conclusions based on this diagnosis. That's just my
first take from reading this website...

Old August 11th 05, 07:02 AM

Plissken wrote:
A friend had posted this on a local board and I thought that posting it here
would be much better....
Has anyone been told that they had a uterine contraction ring (UCR) and had
a subsequent pregnancy? What was your experience the next time round? Was
VBAC even considered an option?

I was told I had a UCR with my first and am wondering if that means I'll
automatically have to have a c-section if I get pregnant again.

I've never heard of this. Is it related to amniotic bands though?
That's the only thing I can think of. I was told during my last
pregnancy that there was an amniotic band but it was nowhere near where
the baby was developing so it wasn't supposed to be a problem and
turned out to not be a problem.

OK, I just googled it. It's apparently also known as Bandl's ring and
often does cause problems with labour as this area of the uterus won't
dilate properly. If you aren't on this board, the question is answered
he
http://www.mother-care.ca/a_vbac.htm#05

Cheryl

Practice Contraction Kat and bump Pregnancy 3 April 17th 05 07:35 AM
Sling recommendations please Elle Pregnancy 32 February 9th 05 09:27 PM
Ring worm Tori M. General 6 June 8th 04 02:19 PM
infibulation ring Jennifer Pregnancy 5 February 27th 04 06:29 PM
Uterine Rupture (death mentioned) Daye Pregnancy 16 August 16th 03 03:04 PM