Q: allergies, gut problems and Neocate Vs breastmilk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 12th 06, 06:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

Default Q: allergies, gut problems and Neocate Vs breastmilk

"arachne" wrote in message

the first thing that springs to mind is coeliac disease (sp?). has she
been tested for it?

I think so. The only Dx so far is "ulcerative colitis" which apparently
doesn't have a "known" cause. Most of what I can find suggests that bf
offers some protection though....

some of those foods she is eating are quite high in natural chemicals
(salicylates, amines etc) so if we are talking intolerence, that could
be the problem. the book "friendly food" by rpa hospital allergy unit
has comprehensive info about a low chemical elimination diet.
you can read a bit he http://www.cs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/

Thanks - will pass on the link.
This is the lady that I was telling you about back in February I think....

from my allergist, the list of low natural chemical foods a babmoo
shoots, brussel sprouts, cabbage, celery, chives, choko, dried beans,
dried peas, green beans, leek, lentils, iceberg lettuce, mungbean
sprouts, white peeled potatp, red cabbage, shallot, swede, pear (ripe
peeled), pear (canned in sugar syrup), beef, chicken (no skin), eggs,
fish (fresh, white) lamb, rabbit, sausage casing & veal.

is she using oil to cook?

Not sure. I'm thinking she's not as most things she is eating are either
poached, grilled or baked without oil.

what is she drinking? just water?

Yes.

is she sure forbidden foods are not sneaking in or is she having any
medication? even humble vitamins can have things she shouldn't be having.

She's pretty rigourous about the diet and isn't taking any supplements or
meds.

even foods on her list can be allergenic. DS1 is allergic to both
pumpkin & rockmelon.

I think these are the foods she knows haven't caused a reaction and she's
been keeping a food diary for about 5 months now. She tells me that if she
eats anything not on the list its followed by a night of having the bub
scream in pain.

Ta
Amanda