Infant car seat/ stroller

Old June 30th 04, 08:21 PM
Ann

Default Infant car seat/ stroller

Hello,
It'll really be great if you can help me with this...
I am writing from Chicago, US. I am 22 weeks pregnant with my first
baby and have no idea about what to buy or which brands to choose. My
DD is Nov 1st. Although it is a lill early , I am start ing to
research on baby items. Could anyone suggest a good infant car seat
for my baby(brand, type etc)?

I heard that there are sets that have car seats and strollers
attached- A stroller into which a car seat can be attached. Could
anyone please suggest which one would be better -A separate car seat
and a stroller or a combined one? I am looking forward to spend about
$ 200 max on the two items- cheaper the better.

I believe the baby won't be happy to be taken out of the car seat to
keep in the stroller- or is this not going to be an issue- I am just
learning about what is comfortable for the baby and what is
not….Please help. Till what age can we use the same stroller. Or do we
have to change strollers based on the baby's weight. I heard that we
need to change the car seat to accommodate the growing baby…

Sorry if I sound stupid. Waiting for your suggestions..

Thanks,
Ann
Old June 30th 04, 08:27 PM
Dagny

"Ann" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
It'll really be great if you can help me with this...
I am writing from Chicago, US. I am 22 weeks pregnant with my first
baby and have no idea about what to buy or which brands to choose. My
DD is Nov 1st. Although it is a lill early , I am start ing to
research on baby items. Could anyone suggest a good infant car seat
for my baby(brand, type etc)?

I heard that there are sets that have car seats and strollers
attached- A stroller into which a car seat can be attached. Could
anyone please suggest which one would be better -A separate car seat
and a stroller or a combined one? I am looking forward to spend about
$ 200 max on the two items- cheaper the better.

How often are you going to take the baby in the car? The infant only
carseats (buckets) are nice because you can bring a sleeping baby in from
the car without taking her out of the seat. But yes, you do have to replace
it with a bigger seat at ?26 inches and 20 pounds or so. Cheapest option is
a convertible infant seat that you can use with your toddler too, rear
facing then forward facing. I got mine for $20 from the county's safe kids
program. It's a regular Graco convertible seat.

? I haven't used my regular stroller at all, the one the baby bucket snapped
into. For shopping I used the sling, and now she rides in the shopping
cart. I do use my jogging stroller, though.

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
EDD 1/19/05

Old June 30th 04, 09:02 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Ann wrote:

I heard that there are sets that have car seats and strollers
attached- A stroller into which a car seat can be attached. Could
anyone please suggest which one would be better -A separate car seat
and a stroller or a combined one? I am looking forward to spend about
$ 200 max on the two items- cheaper the better.

Lots of people like the travel systems, but I
never had one and don't prefer them, myself. Oftentimes
there's either something about the carseat or the stroller
I don't like. Why compromise? Also, if you're looking
to save money, you might want to skip the bucket infant
carseat all together and go straight to a convertible
seat. Some kids outgrow the infant seat by four months!
(Others can fit in them up to a year, but you certainly
can't bet on it, and four months is a very short time
to take advantage of the presumed benefits.)

I believe the baby won't be happy to be taken out of the car seat to
keep in the stroller- or is this not going to be an issue- I am just
learning about what is comfortable for the baby and what is
not….

My babies never cared much. Personally, I think
it's better to get them out of the carseat so they can
stretch a bit.

Please help. Till what age can we use the same stroller.

Until it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable. Two
of my kids were very tall, and I was glad to have a roomier
stroller than comes with the travel systems. My third is
smaller and would manage in a smaller stroller, most likely.
Very small babies need to be significantly reclined (nearly
horizontal). Older babies don't necessarily need though,
though it can come in handy if they're going to nap in
the stroller. The stroller we used/use has a bassinet
attachment that kept younger babies totally flat. We
found they slept very well in that configuration and
used it up until they were ready and able to sit up
more (around 4-5 months).

Or do we
have to change strollers based on the baby's weight. I heard that we
need to change the car seat to accommodate the growing baby…

You don't need to change the stroller, since
just about any stroller appropriate for a newborn would
also be appropriate for an older child unless the child
outgrew the stroller. (There are strollers appropriate
for older babies but not younger babies, though.)
You do need to change the carseat. The infant carseats
(the little bucket ones with the handles) are typically
good to a max of 27" and 17-20 pounds (you have to check
the specifications for the particular carseat) and they
are only good rear-facing. Some babies will outgrow those
carseats within only 4-6 months, while others will fit
until they're a year old.
When the child is a year old *AND* at least 20
pounds, then the child can go forward-facing. If the
baby outgrows the bucket seat before that time, then
you need a convertible carseat (one that can be used
either forward facing or rear facing). You use it
rear facing until at least one year old and 20 pounds,
but you can keep the child rear facing for longer
(because it's safer) if your child is still within
the height and weight limits for the carseat to be
used rear facing (again, you have to check the specifications
for the carseat you're using).
Once your child outgrows the convertible, you'll
need a booster seat.
So, if you start with a bucket infant seat, you'll
likely need three carseats (infant, convertible, booster).
If you start with a convertible, you'll only need two--
or maybe even one, if you go with something like the
Britax Marathon (but those are more expensive). Some
people feel like newborns are too small to be comfortable
in the convertible seats, but they are safety tested
down to the minimum size listed for the carseat.

Personally, I'd get the stroller I wanted
and a separate convertible carseat that I wanted and
forget about the travel system. Still, as I said,
others love their travel systems, so YMMV.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 30th 04, 10:01 PM
Tori M.

I had a fairly cheap Cosco Explorer I think my mom got it at walmart and i
believe they are arround $100. It is HUGE though and I really dont like
taking the stroller out.. it was handy for newborn aged though.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 30th 04, 11:04 PM
Carol Ann

I have the Graco Quattro Travel System (the type you are referring to).
It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to one at BabyCenter on Sale:

http://store.babycenter.com/search/s...G43LYJ0E3QCUAQ
MMCIIQ?query=graco+travel

I bought the Blueberry color.

Here's one at ToysRUs NOT on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...09ENC6/qid=108
8632877/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-6532033-0352741

HTH.

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/2botd Pictures

:

Old July 1st 04, 03:18 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Carol Ann wrote:

I have the Graco Quattro Travel System (the type you are referring to).
It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

I have that and I agree, it's great. We actually happened onto it
accidentally; we were given the car seat and I purchased the stroller
separately. But they go together and I even accidentally got the same
pattern. :P LOL

My baby is big though and is 1/3" and 2 lbs away from growing out of the
car seat and he is only 10 days away from being 3 months old.

Old July 1st 04, 01:09 PM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have the Graco Quattro Travel System (the type you are referring to).
It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

I have this in Heatwave. I love the car seat! I have not used the stroller
yet! But it seems to be very good quality, I just wish the stroller had
rubber wheels instead of plastic. it is huge but lightweight, and will be
very convenient for long outings (for example to the zoo!) etc. I can see
how it could be a bit cumbersome, it does make the Baby Bjorn carrier
tempting...

Old July 1st 04, 01:11 PM
Jill

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote

My baby is big though and is 1/3" and 2 lbs away from growing out of the
car seat and he is only 10 days away from being 3 months old.

This makes me sad about newborns and young young babies- they grow so fast!!
It is great but also sad to see them outgrow their stuff. Rachel is about to
outgrow her very first outfit- in length only, but still, it has feet, so
there is no way to extend its wear for her. I am sad!!

Old July 1st 04, 01:13 PM
Sophie

Hello,
It'll really be great if you can help me with this...
I am writing from Chicago, US. I am 22 weeks pregnant with my first
baby and have no idea about what to buy or which brands to choose. My
DD is Nov 1st.

Congrats!

Although it is a lill early , I am start ing to
research on baby items. Could anyone suggest a good infant car seat
for my baby(brand, type etc)?

Well the carseat might depend on what kind of car you have. Some fit better
than others.

I heard that there are sets that have car seats and strollers
attached- A stroller into which a car seat can be attached. Could
anyone please suggest which one would be better -A separate car seat
and a stroller or a combined one? I am looking forward to spend about
$ 200 max on the two items- cheaper the better.

I'm due with my 4th next week and have never had a matching carseat stroller
combo thing. Where I live I don't really need a stroller. I either put the
baby in a Baby Bjorn (or whatever carrier/sling you like) or put the carseat
on the shopping cart.

I believe the baby won't be happy to be taken out of the car seat to
keep in the stroller- or is this not going to be an issue- I am just
learning about what is comfortable for the baby and what is
not..Please help.

I personally don't think being in a carseat for a long time is good for a
baby's back. Doesn't look that comfy to me. Mine have always been happier
in a carrier/sling/Bjorn.

Till what age can we use the same stroller. Or do we
have to change strollers based on the baby's weight. I heard that we
need to change the car seat to accommodate the growing baby.

I'd say once the baby/child isn't comfy in it. Now carseats do have weight
and height limits.

Sorry if I sound stupid. Waiting for your suggestions..

Thanks,
Ann

Oh goodness no, the choices are really overwhelming.

Good luck

Sophie
#4 due July 6, 2004

Old July 1st 04, 01:47 PM
Manda

On 30 Jun 2004 12:21:03 -0700, (Ann) wrote:

[...]

Are you actually in Chicago or in the suburbs? If you're in the city
and will be taking public transportation a lot, you probably don't
want or need one of the big 'travel systems.' We live in the suburbs
now, but when we come into the city (we both work downtown and do a
lot of shopping down here), we use a Baby Bjorn and a lightweight
stroller. We have a Maclaren Techno, but there are much cheaper
options. I feel like he's safer in a front carrier than he would be in
an infant carrier when we're riding the train. Plus, the strollers
that come with the travel systems are quite big and would be more
difficult to get down the stairs into the station.

We got a convertible car seats so that we'd have one seat to use
through preschool-age. If you're really sold on an infant carrier car
seat, I'd get something like the snap 'n go stroller. It's around $50
and it holds an infant seat and makes it into a stroller. It's very
light, small, and easy. After he/she outgrows the seat, you can get a
lightweight umbrella stroller or similar. I think that would be a
pretty cheap option.

Manda