Spanking makes kids stupid

Old September 28th 09, 04:47 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Ivan Gowch

Default Spanking makes kids stupid

Not only is inflicting violence on children just plain wrong, Dr. Murray
Strauss of the University of New Hampshire and California Prof. Mallie
Pashcall have revealed one more reason why it's a bad idea -- it makes kids
stupid.

It's not a brand-new revelation. It's been suggested before. But the two
researchers have presented compelling new evidence that being hit in
childhood suppresses intelligence.

Kids who were spanked have significantly lower IQs than children who were
not. Countries with the highest intelligent levels are countries were
children are not subject to corporal punishment.

Perhaps this explains why so many pro-spanking folks acknowledge they were
hit when they were growing up. They say it made them who they are today,
and they are right. As their contribution to the debate proves -- they were
spanked into moronhood.

Old July 6th 10, 07:35 PM
MommyBusyBee MommyBusyBee is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Gowch View Post
[...]

What evidence do you have that this is true? Although I don't agree with extreme violence against children, a good smack on the hand or butt isn't going to make your kids stupid. I was disciplined physically (moreso than I would have liked --but oh well) and I obtained my Masters from Ball State in Psychology. Honestly, this is a rash assumption that makes no sense. The only reason I'm against HARSH physical punishment is because it lowers the trust between a child and parent. To top it off -- it hurts.
Old January 21st 11, 02:06 AM
jdk1970 jdk1970 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBusyBee View Post
What evidence do you have that this is true? Although I don't agree with extreme violence against children, a good smack on the hand or butt isn't going to make your kids stupid. I was disciplined physically (moreso than I would have liked --but oh well) and I obtained my Masters from Ball State in Psychology. Honestly, this is a rash assumption that makes no sense. The only reason I'm against HARSH physical punishment is because it lowers the trust between a child and parent. To top it off -- it hurts.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of spanking either, but there needs to be a little more evidence presented here.
Old March 15th 11, 06:45 PM
pha12ge pha12ge is offline
Banned

i think that corporal punishment commonly used to discipline a toddler, child, or teenager it effect kids as stupid .
Old March 21st 11, 01:17 PM
annedavis annedavis is offline
Junior Member

For me spanking is not a form of discipline it is a form of punishment. Spanking only reinforces negative behavior and doesn't teach children how problems can be solved through proper, positive communication. Spanking does not teach children why their behavior was wrong or what they should do instead; it teaches children that the only reason to behave appropriately is to avoid being punished and oftentimes it causes them to become a troubled teen. If you think you can't control your teen at all you can consider sending your teen to troubled teen boarding school.

Last edited by annedavis : March 22nd 11 at 09:06 AM.
Old March 23rd 11, 07:36 PM
nike10kelen nike10kelen is offline
Banned

i think spanking makes kids stupid
Spanking only reinforces negative behavior to children.
Old March 24th 11, 09:30 AM
azizitehram azizitehram is offline

Old April 6th 11, 11:17 AM
mark12jon mark12jon is offline