OT Mothers Day Out...

Old July 8th 03, 08:26 PM
Leigh Menconi

Default OT Mothers Day Out...

We love Raleigh, we've been here about 12 1/2 years now. Economy's not as
good as it used to be, it would depend on what sector your husband is
employed in. Lots of layoffs at Nortel, Worldcom, IBM, Alcatel so the
computer/electronics sector pretty much sucks at this point. Traffic is
terrible, but not as bad as Atlanta. Singles I've know who've moved here
have hated it because this area is really pretty family-oriented, not much
of a singles scene (but that's getting better). I've heard some say, "it's
a great place to live, wouldn't want to visit" because there really aren't
the big attractions like some areas. (Conversely, we used to live in
Colorado which is a great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there
although with last year's snow/ice storms, it was almost as bad!) Public
schools in Wake County are good, there is only one district for the whole
county so there are variations between individual schools but we have a
great magnet program (my 8yo son is in an international studies magnet and
will be starting his 4th year of Spanish this year).

To answer another poster, I'd guess a 4br house would run at least 200k if
you wanted to live outside the beltline. Lots of people relocate to Cary
which is a suburb of Raleigh (joke is that it stands for Containment Area
for Relocated Yankees) and since that's where a lot of the techies live,
houses can be had pretty cheap by those who've had to relocate elsewhere to
find a new job after a layoff.

Leigh

"Shelly" wrote in message
.. .

Leigh,
Is the Raleigh area nice? My hubby and I want to move there (He needs a

big
city for work) and my mom lives outside Fayetteville so we want to be

close
to her.... Do you like it? Please be honest....Thanks
--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I'm in Raleigh but I can give you some general information about

Mother's
Morning Out programs that might give you some direction. Most of the
programs are run by churches in our area and they generally run the same
calendar as the school year (Sept-May) with registration for the

following
fall starting in February so you may find it hard to find openings in
programs like that. Most require you to sign up for at least two days a
week so that the child gets on a schedule of expecting it. If your

child
is
4, there are some preschool programs that are run out of daycare centers
like Bright Horizons or other local preschools and those are usually

five
days a week. This past year I signed my 3yo up for a Tues/Thurs class

and
Mon/Wed/Fri class so he'd go five days like his siblings in regular

public
school.

http://www.unitybaptisth.com/MMO.htm

If you're looking for something soon and short-term, you might find some
openings in the Vacation Bible schools in your area. The ones around

here
run from 9-12 each morning for a week. They're generally free but

expect
some volunteer time or other help providing supplies.

These types of programs are lifesavers for me, much cheaper than therapy

and
I have time to get my errands done without the kids in tow!

Leigh in raLeigh

"Jaya-Ramdas" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
We are looking to drop off our kid for 2-3 hrs at a drop off center.
Would anyone know of centers offering mother's day out programs in the
Pineville/Charlotte area.

Thank you
Jaya-Ramdas