When can I use a pregnancy test?

Old June 1st 06, 04:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default When can I use a pregnancy test?

I see on a lot of different pregnancy tests that say they can detect a
pregnancy very close to the woman missing her period.( withing a day or two)
I am wondering if you can take it before you have missed your period. Also,
if you are not missing your periods, can a home pregnancy test detect
pregnancy? Or would I have to see a Dr. for a blood test?

Thanks

Old June 1st 06, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

curious via FamilyKB.com u10678@uwe writes:
: I see on a lot of different pregnancy tests that say they can detect a
: pregnancy very close to the woman missing her period.( withing a day or two)
: I am wondering if you can take it before you have missed your period. Also,
: if you are not missing your periods, can a home pregnancy test detect
: pregnancy? Or would I have to see a Dr. for a blood test?

: Thanks

: --
: Message posted via FamilyKB.com
: http://www.familykb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...nancy/200606/1

If you are not missing your period, you are not pregnant. Now, some women
may experience implantation bleeding or other bleeding which they *mistake*
for a period, but it ain't! :-)

Some HPTs are better than others. The good ones are just as good as a
blood test at the doctor's office.

Larry
Old June 2nd 06, 12:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

shannonpts via FamilyKB.com wrote:
wrote:
: I see on a lot of different pregnancy tests that say they can detect a
: pregnancy very close to the woman missing her period.( withing a day or two)
: I am wondering if you can take it before you have missed your period. Also,
: if you are not missing your periods, can a home pregnancy test detect
: pregnancy? Or would I have to see a Dr. for a blood test?

: Thanks

If you are not missing your period, you are not pregnant. Now, some women
may experience implantation bleeding or other bleeding which they *mistake*
for a period, but it ain't! :-)

Larry,
I wouldnt be asking this question about being pregnant and still having my
period if it wasnt possible. It is not an uncommon occurance.

His point is that if you are pregnant and bleeding,
it's *not* a period.

Some HPTs are better than others. The good ones are just as good as a
blood test at the doctor's office.

I just want to know if I take a pregnancy test say today for example, would
it be accurate since I have not missed my period?

Hard to say. You can google and find which pregnancy
tests are more sensitive. Those that detect lower levels of
hcg are more sensitive and will detect pregnancy earlier, some
typically as early as a couple of days before a missed period.
However, any test can have a false negative, so a negative
pregnancy test is not a guarantee you're not pregnant (true
of blood tests, too). False positives are very rare, though,
so if you test positive then you are almost certainly pregnant.
But, since it's so early, it's not uncommon for a very early
positive to turn into a negative due to an early miscarriage.
There is also a lot of variation among women. There are women
who are pregnant and don't get positive pregnancy tests
until they are *weeks* beyond their missed period. That's
not common, but it is possible. So, there really isn't
any guarantee. If you're within a couple days of your
expected period, you might have some luck if you test with
one of the more sensitive tests.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 2nd 06, 06:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

wrote:
I see on a lot of different pregnancy tests that say they can
detect a pregnancy very close to the woman missing her period.(
withing a day or two) I am wondering if you can take it before you
have missed your period. Also, if you are not missing your
periods, can a home pregnancy test detect pregnancy? Or would I
have to see a Dr. for a blood test?

Thanks

If you are not missing your period, you are not pregnant. Now, some
women may experience implantation bleeding or other bleeding which
they *mistake* for a period, but it ain't! :-)

Larry,
I wouldnt be asking this question about being pregnant and still
having my period if it wasnt possible. It is not an uncommon
occurance.

But his point is correct -- it's a mistaken identification of your period,
but not your actual period. The only way that a person could really have a
period AND be pregnant is in rare cases where they have two uterus. Other
than that, you may bleed around the time of your period, but it's not your
period. It's pregnancy spotting or implantation bleeding, but not
menstruation.

Some HPTs are better than others. The good ones are just as good as
a blood test at the doctor's office.

I just want to know if I take a pregnancy test say today for example,
would it be accurate since I have not missed my period?

It would depend on when your period was due. If your period was due
tomorrow, yes, it *could* be accurate. But, if it isn't due for a few more
days/week, then it's not likely to be accurate.

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! --
www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password