Recommendations of good non-animated "family" films for two parents and a 3-year-old?

Old June 7th 04, 02:47 AM
Taed Nelson

Default Recommendations of good non-animated "family" films for two parents and a 3-year-old?

I'd like to get some recommendations of true family films, something that
would interest both parents and our 3-year-old.

We've watched most of the recent "classics", such as those by Pixar and
Disney. Many of the older Disney ones are too violent (such as _Fox and the
Hound_) or scary. We also really like some of the anime such as _Kiki's
Delivery Service_.

However, I want to watch something other than animated films, and that's
where I'm having trouble... I've looked through the library and video store
twice and have come up with very few titles that would interest all of us.

The big issue is that we want to avoid any violence, guns, swords, and the
like, but I don't think that there are any other hot-button issues. Other
adult themes such as nudity and paying taxes aren't an issue for us, but I
doubt there are any "family" films with that. I also don't want to watch
any bad movies!

The story also has to be simple enough on some level for a 3-year-old to
follow and understand.

A great film (though there are some parts we have to fast-forward through)
for us was _E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial_. My son understood most of the
movie, and even cried at both the beginning (where the space ship leaves
without ET) and where ET dies. (He can be surprisingly sensitive.) (It was
also the re-release with the guns edited out, so it worked well for out
sensibilities.) _The Wizard of Oz_ also worked out well, again with just a
little bit that needed to be skipped over. (That developed a big interest
in tornadoes, though, so we're read a number of books from the library about
them.) He also sat through _Whale Rider_, and also cried when the whales
were stuck on the beach. _Babe_ is another good example (however, _Gordy_
is so bad that we stopped it about 15 minutes into it).

I'm also considering taking him to the 1956 version of _Around the World in
80 Days_ next week at The Stanford Theatre -- from what I've read, I think
it should be fine for him, particularly since it has planes, balloons,
trains, and so on, which he's really into these days. Has anyone seen this
and care to comment on it's level of violence (hitting, guns, swords, etc.)?

Any other movie recommendations along these lines?

(Thanks in advance.)

Old June 7th 04, 07:40 AM
Snickmere

Have you considered looking for some of the much older classics such as
Chittty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Dr. Doolittle (before
Eddie Murphy) The Parent Trap, Annie, The Sound of Music, The Love Bug, and
Mary Poppins? I have seen my share of Wishbone, Zobomofoo, and now some
Bill Nye the Science Guy on PBS with my children. There may be some
appropriate shows there for you to check out as well.

It sounds like you are on the right track searching the library. I have had
more good luck finding non-animated family friendly movies at our local
library than at the video stores.

Best Wishes,
Jennifer

Old June 7th 04, 01:25 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

My kids liked the classic musicals on tape, ie Sound of Music, Mary
Poppins, Annie. Anything with kids in it, really.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old June 7th 04, 03:11 PM
workerbee

When my kids were little they thought Laural and Hardy were
hysterical.

Old June 7th 04, 05:31 PM
Scott

workerbee wrote:
When my kids were little they thought Laural and Hardy were
hysterical.

I will add classic musicals, such as Meet Me in St. Louis,
Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me Kate. Mame is okay, too, if
you can get past Lucille Ball as a young woman

DD and DS adore Tom and Jerry cartoons, too, but they are
animated.

Scott DD 10.9 and DS 8.4

Old June 7th 04, 11:49 PM
Circe

Taed Nelson wrote:
I'd like to get some recommendations of true family films,
something that would interest both parents and our 3-year-old.

We have really enjoyed _Secondhand Lions_, the recent remake of _Freaky
Friday_ (with Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan), and _School of Rock_. A
lot of the humor in _School of Rock_ will probably go over your 3yo's head,
and there is some violence in _Secondhand Lions_, but they're both movies we
get a kick out of around here. For older movies, try _The Love Bug_ in
addition to the others people have mentioned.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old June 8th 04, 01:35 AM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"Scott" wrote in message
workerbee wrote:
When my kids were little they thought Laural and Hardy were
hysterical.

I will add classic musicals, such as Meet Me in St. Louis,
Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me Kate. Mame is okay, too, if
you can get past Lucille Ball as a young woman

Singing in the Rain was my favorite. But also the Bing Crosby and Bob Hope
"Road to..." movies. Anything with Danny Kaye is usually a comedy musical.

Jeanne

Old June 8th 04, 01:36 AM
Lee

Snickmere said:

Have you considered looking for some of the much older classics such as
Chittty, Chitty, Bang, Bang,

I don't mind my kids being exposed to a realistic amount of violence, but some
parts of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang could be disturbing.

As I recall, it includes a scene in which the King and Queen sing and dance
around in their underwear while trying to kill each other. This same couple
hates children, decreeing that any that are found in their kingdom should be
locked in the dungeon.

Old June 8th 04, 03:12 AM
Beth Gallagher

"Taed Nelson" wrote in message
I'd like to get some recommendations of true family films, something that
would interest both parents and our 3-year-old.

I strongly second the rec of going to the older Disney live action movies
like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, etc., as well as musicals like
Annie. Some (e.g., The Parent Trap) will be better if you wait a couple of
years, but some will be hits now as well as in a couple of years.

I'll also add a more recent live-action movie we all loved, Incredible
Journey. It's based on a good older (1940s?) book, but the movie is set in
probably the late 1980s or early 1990s. It's the story of 3 pets (2 dogs and
a cat) who set off across the country in search of their family, who has
moved away.

In a couple more years, you'll all probably like Fly Away Home about a
little girl who is stuck living with her dad, who she barely knows, after
her mom dies, and who becomes the "mother" to a flock of goslings who've
lost *their* mom. She ends up leading them on their annual migration south,
and in the process gets closer to her dad and lets go of her mom. Really
touching for us parents, and a great story for the kids, what with the cute
little baby geese and the "bad guys" trying to stop the girl from helping
the birds, etc.

Though you said you didn't want any swordplay etc., I'll still recommend
those old B monster movies with special effects by Ray Harryhausen, e.g.,
Jason and the Argonauts and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Please let him
watch those!! They're too fun.

I cannot imagine fast-forwarding through any part of Wizard of Oz, by the
way. Isn't having nightmares about the witch an essential part of growing
up?! (only half tongue-in-cheek). My general feeling is that if a kid can't
handle essential parts of a movie, such as the Dorothy-kidnapped scene in
Wizard of Oz, he should wait and see the movie when he's ready.
Fast-forwarding through parts of a great movie like Wizard of Oz is like
reading the "Illustrated Classics" version of Jungle Book. What's the rush?
If you can just hold off for another year or two, he'll be able to see the
unadulterated thing the first time around, and that experience cannot be
beat.

Old June 8th 04, 12:04 PM
FibbersCloset

I think (but haven't looked it up) that the original movies (from the 60's?)
was Incredible Journey, and the 1990's remake was Homeward Bound. And I
second the recommendation. I have yet to watch the end of Homeward Bound
without blubbering.

Dena