Peds want soda ban

Old January 5th 04, 09:06 AM
Roger Schlafly

Default Peds want soda ban

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/05/education/05SODA.html

Soft drinks should be eliminated from schools to help tackle the nation's
obesity epidemic, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
In a new policy statement, the academy says that pediatricians should
contact local superintendents and school board members and "emphasize the
notion that every school in every district shares a responsibility for the
nutritional health of its students."

Old January 5th 04, 09:30 AM
JG

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/05/education/05SODA.html

Soft drinks should be eliminated from schools to help tackle the

nation's
obesity epidemic, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
In a new policy statement, the academy says that pediatricians should
contact local superintendents and school board members and "emphasize

the
notion that every school in every district shares a responsibility for

the
nutritional health of its students."

Ah, those impetuous peds! Don't they realize that "every school in
every district" is simply too darn busy attending to its responsibility
regarding the educational "health" of its students?!?
......er....um....never mind....

Old January 5th 04, 09:52 AM
JG

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/05/education/05SODA.html

Here are a couple of relevant articles from The Center For Consumer
Freedom:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headl...ADLINE_ID=2083

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headl...ADLINE_ID=1953

Old January 5th 04, 01:58 PM
Jeff

"JG" wrote in message
t...
"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/05/education/05SODA.html

Soft drinks should be eliminated from schools to help tackle the

nation's
obesity epidemic, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
In a new policy statement, the academy says that pediatricians should
contact local superintendents and school board members and "emphasize

the
notion that every school in every district shares a responsibility for

the
nutritional health of its students."

Ah, those impetuous peds! Don't they realize that "every school in
every district" is simply too darn busy attending to its responsibility
regarding the educational "health" of its students?!?
.....er....um....never mind....

I guess this is a situation of where school districts should teach by
example.

And I agree 100% with the AAP on this one.

Jeff

Old January 5th 04, 05:45 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"JG" wrote in message et...
"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/05/education/05SODA.html

Soft drinks should be eliminated from schools to help tackle the

nation's
obesity epidemic, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
In a new policy statement, the academy says that pediatricians should
contact local superintendents and school board members and "emphasize

the
notion that every school in every district shares a responsibility for

the
nutritional health of its students."

Ah, those impetuous peds! Don't they realize that "every school in
every district" is simply too darn busy attending to its responsibility
regarding the educational "health" of its students?!?
.....er....um....never mind....

Um, okay, I'm missing the huge affront here. I don't really
see depriving kids of soda-purchasing opportunities during school
hours as limiting their freedom significantly. As long as
it would be the right of a parent to send a soda to school
with the child, it wouldn't bother me.

JG, do you think anything ought to be done by any sort of
public servant about the way Americans are ballooning into
giant butterballs? If you believe that this is all a matter
of personal responsibility, can you describe a plausible
chain of events that leads to each individual butterball
waking up one morning and saying, "Gosh! It's time to
change my entire way of life! No more fast food, no more
TV... I'm going to take responsibility for my life and
start eating healthier food, spending more time exercising,
and teaching my kids to do the same!" Or is it just that
you think anyone who doesn't do the above is better off
prematurely ill or dead?

Beth
Old January 5th 04, 06:38 PM
Roger Schlafly

"JG" wrote
Ah, those impetuous peds! ...

Here is the ped link. It says:

nutritious alternatives such as water, real fruit juices and low-fat milks
are available for vending, and can help preserve school revenues.
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/jansoftdrinks.htm

Apparently the AAP also disapproves of schools selling whole milk,
and only wants kids drinking low-fat milk. It also thinks that the
schools should be selling water as a nutritious alternative. I always
thought that the schools let kids use the drinking fountain for free.
Maybe the AAP thinks that the schools can just put bottled water
in the coke machines, and kids will happily pay for it.

It explains that milk is more nutritious than soda because it
contains calcium, but why does it think that water is more nutritious
than soda? Soda is 98% water.

If the AAP is really so concerned about the sugar in soda, why doesn't
it say that diet sodas are ok? And doesn't it realize that fruit juices
also have sugar in them?

The recommendation ends by saying that the vending machines
should be moved outside the cafeteria, so that kids buy their drinks
at times other than lunch.

Yet another wacky and unfounded AAP recommendation ...

Old January 5th 04, 07:15 PM
JG

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote in message
om...
"JG" wrote in message

et...
[...]

Schools (administrators, faculty), generally speaking, are failing at
the *one* task with which few would disagree they're charged: educating
our youth. (I'd settle for simply producing a literate populace;
"education," IMO, is a personal endeavor.) We (society) have already
added students' mental/psychological well-being to list of things we
expect schools to achieve/ensure, and now, apparently, the APA wants to
charge schools with the task of seeing that kids slim down by
(initially)--tada!--banning the sale of soft drinks.

I don't really
see depriving kids of soda-purchasing opportunities during school
hours as limiting their freedom significantly. As long as
it would be the right of a parent to send a soda to school
with the child, it wouldn't bother me.

Nor I. Do you honestly think, however, that school district
administrators/personnel wouldn't bemoan the lost revenue, or that the
APA wouldn't prefer that schools totally ban "unhealthy" foods/beverages
from campuses? ("This school is a 'junk food'-free zone.")

JG, do you think anything ought to be done by any sort of
public servant about the way Americans are ballooning into
giant butterballs?

What's a "public servant"? g

Government can, and should, play a role in safeguarding *public* health.
I have little objection to bureaucrats monitoring and takng (LEGAL)
measures to mitigate situations that pose a threat to the public at
large. Weight (obesity) is a *private* issue; the gubmnt's only
basis/rationale for intervention in this arena is the claim that
weight-induced health problems (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc.)
among those receiving public assistance (Medicaid, Medicare) impose a
financial burden on taxpayers. (This is a separate subject open to
debate. Perhaps public assistance recipients who have a weight-induced
disease will die younger because of it, thus potentially saving "us" $$$
in the long run.) At any rate, gubmnt health programs should never
have been instituted in the first place. (Anyone care to cite just
where in the Constitution "public assistance"--publicly funded
assistance to *individuals*--is addressed?)

If you believe that this is all a matter
of personal responsibility, can you describe a plausible
chain of events that leads to each individual butterball
waking up one morning and saying, "Gosh! It's time to
change my entire way of life! No more fast food, no more
TV... I'm going to take responsibility for my life and
start eating healthier food, spending more time exercising,
and teaching my kids to do the same!" Or is it just that
you think anyone who doesn't do the above is better off
prematurely ill or dead?

Straw man. I don't think it's anyone's, or any group's (private or
public), right to tell individuals *who pose no threat to others* how to
live their lives (let alone force them adhere to arbitrary dictates!)--
do you? Each "individual butterball" must live, or die, by his/her
choices. The gubmnt (and food manufacturers/distributors, including
schools) hasn't made anyone fat; it's not its responsibility to make
anyone healthy, either.

Old January 5th 04, 07:29 PM
JG

[...]

Excellent points. A "special report" from The Center For Consumer
Freedom, "Soda Ban Lacks Scientific Fizz"
(http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headl...ADLINE_ID=1953),
also mentions some *benefits* of having pop machine in schools.

The recommendation ends by saying that the vending machines
should be moved outside the cafeteria, so that kids buy their drinks
at times other than lunch.

Yet another wacky and unfounded AAP recommendation ...

Tsk...and from such an apolitical group...

Old January 5th 04, 07:30 PM
Roger Schlafly

"JG" wrote
Straw man. I don't think it's anyone's, or any group's (private or
public), right to tell individuals *who pose no threat to others* how to
live their lives (let alone force them adhere to arbitrary dictates!)--
do you? Each "individual butterball" must live, or die, by his/her
choices. The gubmnt (and food manufacturers/distributors, including
schools) hasn't made anyone fat; it's not its responsibility to make
anyone healthy, either.

Maybe the butterballs are drinking the diet sodas, and the skinny
kids are drinking the sugared sodas. Both will lose under the new
policy of banning soda.

There isn't even much nutritional difference between sugared soda
and fruit juice. If calcium were really the concern, the school could
hand out calcium pills.

Old January 5th 04, 08:52 PM
JG

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"JG" wrote
Straw man. I don't think it's anyone's, or any group's (private or
public), right to tell individuals *who pose no threat to others*

how to
live their lives...

Maybe the butterballs are drinking the diet sodas, and the skinny
kids are drinking the sugared sodas. Both will lose under the new
policy of banning soda.

The "science" behind studies proclaiming that soft drinks are "bad"
should have even Utz shaking his head. See "Hop on Pop: How soda is
being attacked in the media,"
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/artic...?ARTICLE_ID=76 (almost
three years old!) for details. Another good article, "Soft Drinks, Hard
Bias," (also almost three years old) can be found at
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,12315,00.html.