Babies and blankets.....

Old September 7th 03, 06:34 PM
Faye Tarzwell

Default Babies and blankets.....

I always heard that blankets are a suffocation hazard but then winter is
approching and DD's room is quite cool at night.
Dh says we have to tuck her in. I am afraid of her suffocating herself at
night with the blanket.....
Is it still the norm not to use blankets for babies (DD is 6 1/2 months old
now)?
Should I just put one more layer under her sleeper and allow her to sleep
without a blanket? Or does the old tucking in work ok?

FayeC

Old September 7th 03, 07:20 PM
Rob and Laura

FAye I use a blanket on Izabella and have been for a while. I just use a
small blanket like a recieving blanket or something. But you know she
always kicks it off so. But lately I have been dressing her a lot warmer
for bed seeing that its getting colder here now too.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old September 7th 03, 10:07 PM
Wendy J.

Hi,

I have used a rather heavy fleece blanket on dd from when she was a
couple of months old. I put it up to her chest and tuck it in the
sides of the crib. However, it lasts about 1/2 before she kicks it
off and spends the rest of the night with no covers on. Of course,
she doesn't get cold or she would awaken. I can't speak for all
babies but if anything covers dd's head she pushes it off her face. I
would suggest using a heavier blanket and tuck it in.

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

Old September 7th 03, 11:17 PM
Daye

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:34:54 -0400, "Faye Tarzwell"
wrote:

Is it still the norm not to use blankets for babies (DD is 6 1/2 months old
now)?
Should I just put one more layer under her sleeper and allow her to sleep
without a blanket? Or does the old tucking in work ok?

Well, I always used a blanket with DD. She was a winter baby, and she
only weighted 5 pounds at birth. For the first 6 months or so, we
only partially co-slept. She slept either in her crib or bassinette
during the first part of the night, and then she moved to our bed when
she woke up for her night feed.

This is the guide that I used to make up her crib. It is the way that
is recommended by SIDS Australia to reduce the risk of SIDS. You will
see that they say it is okay for the baby to have a blanket:

http://www.sidsaustralia.org.au/rtr/cot.htm

Hope this helps!

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 8th 03, 02:39 AM
Rob and Laura

Izabella is doing great, workin on more teeth, 5 now..time sure is flying.
We are getting family photos done next week I will have to send u some for
sure.
Hows Deirdre doing? Hope things are going well.

As far as dressing Izabella for bed, if I know its going to be cold I put
her diaper shirt on and a pair of fleece PJS that I had bought when she was
born. Shes still in 3 month clothes.
--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
And 2 felines *Ashes(2) & George (4)*
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/

"Faye Tarzwell" wrote in message
You mean like a diaper vest and a sleeper or more than that?
I am already dreading the winter with a mobile baby ...:P
She is so squirmish at night......
How is Izabella doing?? ))

FayeC

.rogers.com...

Old September 8th 03, 03:44 AM
Cathy

Faye Tarzwell wrote in message
I always heard that blankets are a suffocation hazard but then winter is
approching and DD's room is quite cool at night.
Dh says we have to tuck her in. I am afraid of her suffocating herself at
night with the blanket.....
Is it still the norm not to use blankets for babies (DD is 6 1/2 months

old
now)?
Should I just put one more layer under her sleeper and allow her to sleep
without a blanket? Or does the old tucking in work ok?

FayeC

I use a single bed sized blanket with DD. I tuck it in really well under
the mattress, and she has yet to be able to escape from it! But then, she
heads up the bed, not down it (so much for putting them with their feet to
the foot of the bed - DD always has her head against the headboard of the
cot). And she has yet to roll over in her sleep (I'm sure it will happen
though), even though she is 8 months now, and has been rolling back to front
since just before she was 4 months.

Cathy

Old September 8th 03, 04:35 PM
Nikki

Faye Tarzwell wrote:
I always heard that blankets are a suffocation hazard but then winter
is approching and DD's room is quite cool at night.
Dh says we have to tuck her in. I am afraid of her suffocating
herself at night with the blanket.....
Is it still the norm not to use blankets for babies (DD is 6 1/2
months old now)?
Should I just put one more layer under her sleeper and allow her to
sleep without a blanket? Or does the old tucking in work ok?

I mostly co-slept so mine did use blankets then. When on their own (Luke
mostly) he didn't like blankets and still doesn't. Our old house got really
cold upstairs so he wore blanket sleepers or warm pajamas and I had a space
heater in his room.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old September 10th 03, 12:39 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Faye Tarzwell" wrote:

I always heard that blankets are a suffocation hazard

I would love to know where this rumour is coming from. SIDS Australia says
that puffy things, like doonas (duvets) and soft mattresses may be unsafe as
they allow a buildup of carbon dioxide around the face, which might be a
factor in SIDS. How could a baby suffocate or die of SIDS under a blanket?
They don't cling to the body.

My DS kicks his covers off, so perhaps more layers on the baby rather than the
bed would help better than an extra blanket anyway.

And, er, what do people cover babies with at night if you can't use blankets
or doonas?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old September 10th 03, 05:17 PM
Jacqui

Chookie wibbled

And, er, what do people cover babies with at night if you can't
use blankets or doonas?

Sleeping bags, which *can't* come past the chin because of the design.
(Obviously you can't put a premie in one, or put a 1mo in a 6-12mo
bag...)

We also are told not to use regular blankets, but to use cellular ones,
which is the same as when I was a child. (Cellular ones have big holes
in, so suffocation isn't likely, but are still warm. They don't tend to
be *too* warm, either, unlike big woollen or thick fleece blankets.)

Jac