Answers to Ted's Questions????

Old September 11th 03, 03:01 PM
CountryJay

Default Answers to Ted's Questions????

Solids and feeding:

What should be the consitency of solids at this age for a toothlessbaby?
Should it be runny so that it doesn't stay on top of yourfinger? Or can it
be less runny so that you can pick a bit with your finger? I'll make it
perfectly smooth. No chunks or anything.Until a week ago, I only fed her
with a spoon. Since she started this
raspberry thing, I tried to feed her with my finger. She eats if I feed her
with my finger whether she's hungry or not. If I try with spoon, she'll
immediately go into the playful mood and tries to grab the spoon, spits it
out.. you name it! Should I just stick to the spoon and not offer to feed
with finger? Will this finger thing become like the nipple confusion wherein
she won't eat with spoon, only with finger feeding?

The consistentcy would start a little runny, like BM is, with just a minor
thickened consistency until your baby gradually gets used to eating solids
and then you slowly add more food to it to make it a more pasty and solid
consistency. At 6 months my son started on cereal mixed with BM and then
gradualkly went to hommade steamed carrots, sweet potatoes, apple sauce,
pears....etc. He then went to pureed tabel food by around 7 1/2 months.
Now, My 8 1/2 month old is now on table food. He is getting things like
pork and cucumber in very tiny pieces. He likes to feed himself so it mkaes
it easy on both of us, and its the idea of getting him used to eating
soilids; it doesn't really matter how much of it he truly eats. You should
not worry about nipple confusion with feeding with a finger or not spoon.
Regular bottle use can cause nipple confusion.

EBM as effective:

I know nursing is the best thing but how distant second is ebm in a
bottle? Do the antibodies withstand the refrigeration and warming of
ebm? Are there any studies showing comparison/contrasts of these two
methods of feeding? Any ideas?

I don't know thwe asnwers to that one by factual data, but everything I have
read states that it is just as good and definitely better than formula. As
long as you are just placing the forzen or cold BM into a cup or bowl of hot
(not boiling water) you won't damage much if any of the properties in the
BM. Obviously Breastfeeding is still the best, it gives baby skin on skn
contact and it is usually relaxing for mom. (once you pass the first 3-6
week hump)

Bad Judgement of Ped....

If your ped talks as if the decision to bf or not is not a big deal,
do you think he's not well informed and try to forgive his bad
judgement? or do you think it affects his judgement in other treatment
options also?

Some Pediatricians don't care either way how you choose to feed your baby,
as long as you feed them and the baby is showing signs of healthy growth
and development. Most Doctors are not educated in BF and aware of issues.
Being apart of a BF group or LLL helps you out to ask some questions you
know your doc may not beable to answer.

If you think he is overall a good Doctor but don't get a warm fuzzy,
(especially about BF) you may just want to out weight the benefits of
switching. Some people need a doc that will be warm and fuzzy with them. I
personally do, but I also like a doc that is going to take into
consideration all data beofre going on his high horse about adding
supplementation. I have had several docs tell me that Mathieu needs
supplemetation because he dropped totally off the charts from being in the
50%. My Ped doc has not, but requires that Mathieu gets weighed and
measured monthly and he has done about every test to ensure that there isn't
a issue we are missing. He is fabulous!!!!

It's all about comfort level, in the end. My doc is great, and just happens
to be educated in BF, (he is young) Some of the older docs I have had are
not pro- breastfeeders.

Lactina Kit.

The piston in my lactina accessory kit is making grinding noises for
the past week. I checked to see if there's anything wrong. Obviously
there is, but I didn't quite figure out what it is. How long do these
kits last? I've used this for about 100 times. Is it time to get
another one?

I remember there's a piston in my PIS bag so that I can use it as a
hand pump. Is this and the one in Lactina accessory kit
interchangeable?

Can you send it back to the company? How old is it? Is there a warranty on
it?

Old September 11th 03, 08:44 PM
ted

snip

Thanks Country Jay!!
Old September 12th 03, 12:36 AM
Larry McMahan

ted writes:
: snip

: Thanks Country Jay!!

I thought it was such a great idea responding to all the questions in one
post. I felt like a real idiot resonding to them one at a time. :-)

Larry