sick of pumping, and stash is almost gone

Old September 9th 03, 01:51 AM
Sara-anne

Default sick of pumping, and stash is almost gone

She's almost a year. (HOW is that possible?! ;-) )

I know! What a quick year!

You don't really need to
"supplement" with anything -- assuming she's eating a good variety of solid
foods (?) that will satisfy her during the workday.

*Pretty* good, but not great. She's never had a huge appetite, but we
can get some of most foods into her that we try.

Calcium fortified rice milk or something of the sort seems like the obvious
choice (or yogurt, if she can tolerate that). I'm sure Beth Kevles will post a
link to her dairy-free diet info. [snip]

No dairy at all, it seems. She hasn't been actually tested, but I've
seen varying degrees of reaction to cottage cheese, yogurt, american
cheese, and whole milk. I've seen Beth's link before (thanks, Beth!),
and have been using the page she has linked for introducing solid
foods for the allergic infant.

You might also think about cutting back more gradually on your pumping. I
found that pumping once a day was a *lot* easier on me than pumping twice a
day. I was able to make that transition when DS was around 9 or 10 months old,
and then after his first birthday I began skipping days sometimes (using the
stash at first, but asking the nanny to see what happened if she didn't offer a
bottle), and stopped pumping altogether just after he turned 13 months. No
engorgement, no supply problems, happy baby. If you're still pumping "several"
times a day, no wonder you're sick of it!

Well, maybe I was overstating a bit. At first I was pumping (or
visiting her and nursing at daycare) 4 times a day. Now it's more
like 2 or 3. At the regular daycare (as opposed to the day that she's
at my mother's), they are giving her EBM in a sippy cup, so I suppose
that might get her away from wanting a bottle. We'll see. Thanks for
the info!

Sara
Old September 9th 03, 01:52 AM
Lara

Sara-anne wrote:

At the very least, I will have to supplement with something. I've
mentioned this before, but DD is allergic to dairy. My question is
then, should I go to a lower allergenic-type formula, or just try to
get her the calcium she needs from fortified ricemilk or something
similar?

Maybe I've missed something - why not fortified soy milk or soy formula?

Lara
Old September 9th 03, 01:56 AM
Sara-anne

I'm not sure about what you will want to supplement with, but I can
say that you will want to give up pumping gradually, since you say
that you are pumping several times a day! That will give you time to
adjust your supply, and also to figure out what to use to supplement
with. If you do that, you will probably be ok on the other days, too.

I'll be sure to do that! Right now I'm down to 2 or 3 times a day,
and when I went down to that from 4 times a day it was a little
uncomfortable. I can only imagine what going cold turkey would feel
like!

Sara
Old September 9th 03, 03:44 AM
Nikki

Sara-anne wrote:

I'll be sure to do that! Right now I'm down to 2 or 3 times a day,
and when I went down to that from 4 times a day it was a little
uncomfortable. I can only imagine what going cold turkey would feel
like!

I'm only piping in one more time to say that if you missed one *pump*
session and felt full I think you can safely assume your dd is getting quite
a meal when she has good nursing sessions. At least 6 ounces. It is
amazing how good babies are. The reason I so firmly believe this is that I
fed my big big baby exlusively at 10 months and he must have been drinking a
lot of milk, although it didn't feel or seem like anything at all. Does
that make sense?

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old September 9th 03, 01:37 PM
Sara-anne

I'm only piping in one more time to say that if you missed one *pump*
session and felt full I think you can safely assume your dd is getting quite
a meal when she has good nursing sessions. At least 6 ounces. It is
amazing how good babies are. The reason I so firmly believe this is that I
fed my big big baby exlusively at 10 months and he must have been drinking a
lot of milk, although it didn't feel or seem like anything at all. Does
that make sense?

Ok, I guess I'll believe you... )

Sara
Old September 9th 03, 04:33 PM
Valerie Rake

Shannon G wrote:

Adding cow's milk to a child's diet isn't just about the calcium--it's

also

about fat and vitamin D (and probably other things). Infants and toddlers
need fat and cholesterol for brain development, which is why you're

supposed

to give them whole, not skim, milk until age 2. I don't think rice milk

has

much (if any) fat.

Yes. DS got exzema (sp?) when consuming whole milk but I too was worried
about fat, etc. He had no problem with small amounts of cheese. I could
only find yogurt in low-no fat. He loved soy milk. I'm not proud of it but
we shared McDonald's Sausage McMuffins with Egg many a morn!

According to the dietitican I've been seeing for gestational diabetes,
something about the process of making cheese reduces the lactose to
almost nothing (check out the labels--milk has carbohydrates [that's the
lactose] but cheese doesn't have much at all). If he's allergic to the
lactose, could you feed him things like regular cottage cheese to get
the calcium and fat?

Valerie

It is my understanding too that EVERY meal doesn;t need to be high in fat
but there must be ample amounts (how much I haven't a clue) in his/her diet
as a whole.

Shannon

Old September 10th 03, 12:42 PM
Lara

Sara-anne wrote:

Maybe I've missed something - why not fortified soy milk or soy formula?

soymilk, ricemilk, whatever. The only thing is that she hasn't had
soy yet, since it's a common allergen.

Sure. I guess I just have a problem with "soymilk, ricemilk,
whatever..." I'm guessing you know the difference, but lots of people
don't. Infants have suffered FTT and even died from being put onto rice
juice by ignorant parents who didn't realise that it's mostly
carbohydrate & water, and does not cater to the protein and fat needs of
an infant. Soy formula or fortified soy milk is a much more complete
food than rice juice - it's not just a matter of getting enough calcium.
Rice juice might be a liquid option for you now that your baby is a year
old, but only if she's getting plenty of protein and fat from her
solids.

Lara
Old September 10th 03, 06:15 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Joy wrote:

*"Hillary Israeli" wrote:
* Joy wrote:
*
* *FWIW, while formula is a pretty lousy alternative to breastmilk, it's
*
* Formula is the very best available alternative to breastmilk.
*
*Agreed...it is the best *available* alternative to breastmilk, but I stand
*by my statement. If you have the choice between a meal-replacement shake and
*a chocolate donut for breakfast, the meal-replacement shake is the best
*available alternative to a healthy breakfast of whole foods, but the shake
*is still a pretty lousy alternative.

I suppose it depends on your criteria. I mean, a meal replacement shake
isn't going to taste as good or look as pretty, but it will offer you many
or most of the same nutrients as the whole food breakfast (depending of
course on the shake and the breakfast!).

Formula doesn't taste as good (according to me anyway) and doesn't contain
live cells or immunoglobulins, but it contains many to most of the
nutrients found in breastmilk, with more being added every day. I think it
is an excellent alternative to breastmilk for those babies who are
unfortunate enough to lack a source of breastmilk. I'm thrilled that it is
available, as it has certainly saved lives of babies that would have
otherwise perished due to lack of nourishment.

That being said, I don't give my kids formula, and hope never to have to.

Old September 10th 03, 08:52 PM
Iuil

"Sara-anne" wrote
What is FTT? I was suggesting a source of calcium for DD without BM,
since there are a few fatty foods that she likes already. I wasn't
too worried about that. I was actually under the impression that
soymilk wasn't a great source of fat either; I guess I was wrong about
that. Once I am comfortable introducing soy, perhaps I will consider
it. Thanks for the info.

Failure to thrive.

Rice Dream has added fats - it has the same fat percentage as semi-skimmed
cows' milk. Soya milk has roughly the same fat percentage too.

My DD is dairy intolerant. She gets soya milk in cereal, yoghurt and
baking; rice milk as a drink and in other cooking. She also bfs at *least*
3 times a day (more usually 4 or 5) and eats a relatively balanced diet
(when looked at over the course of a few days :-) ).

I would query the need for the protein in soya milk if you intend to
continue bfing. It's actually quite difficult to become protein deficient
according to the resources I read (borrowed from LLL) as long as you're
eating a range of vegetables, pulses and cereals. DD has already been
hospitalised twice for FTT, I don't intend doing anything stupid that would
land her back there.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to firstnamelastname @eircom.net.

Old September 10th 03, 09:55 PM
Daye

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:42:58 +0800, (Lara) wrote:

Infants have suffered FTT and even died from being put onto rice
juice by ignorant parents who didn't realise that it's mostly
carbohydrate & water, and does not cater to the protein and fat needs of
an infant.

We had this happen in 2002 in Melbourne, Australia. Parents fed their
child rice milk instead of an infant formula and the baby died:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...002430788.html
http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Daily...etRiceMilk.htm

The outcome was the parents were not convicted.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

frozen milk stash Nancy P Breastfeeding 0 September 2nd 03 03:20 AM
Pumping tips Melissa Breastfeeding 1 August 9th 03 06:41 AM
pumping logistics Irrational Number Breastfeeding 17 July 29th 03 01:11 PM
Stopped pumping 8-( Ruth Shear Breastfeeding 5 July 18th 03 08:54 PM
stay sane while pumping for two Ducky Lawyer Breastfeeding 4 July 16th 03 12:20 PM