c-section question again

Old November 3rd 03, 11:34 PM
Ollie

Default c-section question again

Thanks all for your help with posts regarding c-section.

If I have a scheduled c-section almost 2 weeks before my actual due date.
Isnt taking the baby out when he/she is not ready risky? The baby may not
be expecting it because labor has not started, what if he/she is sleeping,
or having the hiccups. Or should I wait til I go into labor and attempt the
vbac?

the ongoing dilemma.

I would appreciate your experiences.

Thanks again

Old November 3rd 03, 11:40 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

I don't know your weight, but the plus sized pregnancy website has some
wonderful information on this, for women of all sizes:

It's on malpositions, but if you read through it, it talks about
c-section vs. vaginal birth and why you would want a vaginal birth over
a c-section unless a medical complication arose that required a c-section.

Old November 3rd 03, 11:41 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

It would help if I posted the url:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/malpositions.htm

Old November 4th 03, 12:17 AM
Larry McMahan

Ollie writes:
: Thanks all for your help with posts regarding c-section.

: If I have a scheduled c-section almost 2 weeks before my actual due date.
: Isnt taking the baby out when he/she is not ready risky?

Yes.

: Isnt taking the baby out when he/she is not ready risky? The baby may not
: be expecting it because labor has not started, what if he/she is sleeping,
: or having the hiccups. Or should I wait til I go into labor and attempt the
: vbac?

Yes. But you should discuss it with your OB.

: the ongoing dilemma.

: I would appreciate your experiences.

: Thanks again
: O

Good luck,
Larry
Old November 4th 03, 12:42 AM
HollyLewis

If I have a scheduled c-section almost 2 weeks before my actual due date.
Isnt taking the baby out when he/she is not ready risky?

Yep. The only reasons I can think of for such an early scheduled c-section
would be a previous T-shaped or vertical incision, which is more likely to
rupture if you go into labor, or some other factor that would make the risks of
having contractions higher than the risks of an early delivery.

Or should I wait til I go into labor and attempt the
vbac?

Well, of course. :-) But if there's some reason you don't want or should not
attempt a VBAC, you can still elect a *later* C-section! In fact, my mother
said that when she had my younger sister, in the days when "once a section,
always a section" was the SOP, C-sections were not *scheduled* like they are
now. Even though she knew she would have a second C-section, she still waited
to go into labor naturally, and THEN called the doctor. (And this was not on
her own initiative. That's what the doctor told her to do.)

I'm kind of surprised that nobody seems to do this now, but I suppose it's
because those who care about doing things "naturally" go for VBACs while those
who choose the C-section early on would just as soon schedule it for a time and
date convenient for their doctor.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old November 4th 03, 01:38 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Ollie wrote:

Thanks all for your help with posts regarding c-section.

If I have a scheduled c-section almost 2 weeks before my actual due date.
Isnt taking the baby out when he/she is not ready risky?

If dates might be off or if your baby just needs to
"cook" a little longer, then yes, taking the baby early may
have some risks. *Generally*, two weeks before the due date
isn't likely to cause problems (you're officially full term
by then). Still, why wouldn't you let the baby choose when
he or she is ready to come if that's possible?

The baby may not
be expecting it because labor has not started, what if he/she is sleeping,
or having the hiccups.

I wouldn't think those would be issues at all.

Or should I wait til I go into labor and attempt the
vbac?

Only you can decide whether you're willing to do
a VBAC. *Personally*, I think I would choose a VBAC
over another c-section based on the relative risks of
those procedures, but then again, I've never had a c-section
so I'm not "in your shoes" so to speak.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 4th 03, 12:05 PM
Mary Gordon

Unless you have some serious problem that means you absolutely CANNOT
be permitted to go into labour because it would be dangerous, I don't
see the point of having a section 2 weeks before your due date.

Have a section if you want, but why not at least hang out to your due
date. You have nothing to loose. If you go into labour before then, so
what, they can still do a section. The 2 weeks before your due date
thing is all about their convenience.

As a person who has had a section and 2 VBACs, I know what I would
vote for, but I don't know why you had your first section.

Mary G.
Old November 4th 03, 12:14 PM
Sophie

"Mary Gordon" wrote in message
om...
Unless you have some serious problem that means you absolutely CANNOT
be permitted to go into labour because it would be dangerous, I don't
see the point of having a section 2 weeks before your due date.

Have a section if you want, but why not at least hang out to your due
date. You have nothing to loose. If you go into labour before then, so
what, they can still do a section. The 2 weeks before your due date
thing is all about their convenience.

As a person who has had a section and 2 VBACs, I know what I would
vote for, but I don't know why you had your first section.

Mary G.

I agree. I had my c-sections at 38 weeks (unplanned), 40 weeks, and 39
weeks. All 3 were fine but their sizes went with when they were born
(smallest - 6 lbs 12, largest - 7 lbs 14 - see the difference 2 weeks makes,
middle size - 7 lbs 1).

If you're allowed to go into labor, I would. Try the VBAC as far as you're
comfortable with. You never know, it might not be as bad as you're
imagining. If it is, go for the repeat c-section.

Good luck.

Sophie-
TTC #4

Old November 4th 03, 05:26 PM
Irrational Number

Ollie wrote:

Thanks all for your help with posts regarding c-section.

If I have a scheduled c-section almost 2 weeks before my actual due date.
Isnt taking the baby out when he/she is not ready risky? [...]

A lot of people have posted about birth weights
and dates, but remember that people are different.
I had a medically indicated scheduled c-section
at 38 weeks and the baby was 9.5 pounds then.
Had it even been possible for me to try vaginal
at 40 weeks, he would have been even bigger!

I think at 38 weeks, the baby is basically okay.
I had the long vertical incision, so I will always
need a c-section at 38 weeks.

-- Anita -

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
C- Section question The Huwe Family Pregnancy 15 August 29th 03 04:22 AM