Nursing while sleeping

Old July 9th 03, 04:51 AM
Ruth Shear

Default Nursing while sleeping

G'day

teapot wrote:

btw - who is mary s?

Mary S. Mum of Sproutkin. Proud owner of gold standard perky breasts.
Missing in action - where is she everyone? Did I miss some announcement
of a holiday or something while I was out of town?

teapot and 4 week old toffee

Love these names. 8-)

By the way - love your name. Nothing like a nice cup of tea.

DrRuth
Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001)
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/
Old July 9th 03, 07:17 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Ruth Shear wrote:

On advice from a friend who had twins a few months before DS, I
purchased a full waterproof mattress cover for our bed. It's got pretty
nice padding on top of the plastic bit, so it doesn't feel like we are
lying on plastic or anything horrid like that.

We've got a waterproof mattress cover, which is
fabric-feeling, and zips over the mattress under the sheet.
That's what saved the mattress from the first poopy
diaper. But it didn't save the sheet, and washing the cover
would be even worse than washing the sheets in terms of
wrestling with the mattress. So I just put a waterproof mat
under me, and any milk / drool / spit-up / diaper leaks go
into the wash along with the cloth diapers.

Phoebe

Old July 9th 03, 07:18 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Belphoebe wrote:

Or grabs a bit of breast flesh and digs those little fingernails in

Already does that. The "clamp down with gums, place hand
against breast, straighten elbow while throwing back head"
is the one I dislike the most.

Phoebe

Old July 9th 03, 09:19 PM
teapot

"Belphoebe" wrote in message .. .
"Ruth Shear" wrote in message
news
Heh. Wait until your little darlings starts twiddling, pinching,
squeezing....

Or grabs a bit of breast flesh and digs those little fingernails in (note to
self: trim DS's fingernails today).

Belphoebe

we have rules
the first rule of breast club is that you don't talk about breast club
the second rule of breast club is that you don't put your hand in your
mouth when your mother is trying to get a nipple in
the third rule of breast club is that you don't grab the nipple in
your vice like pincer grip

there are more rules at ramdom, when needed - such as no sucking on
the nipple and pulling your head backwards as if trying to pull the
nipple off... not that he takes any notice :-)

ahh bless

teapot and the moo boy (his name for today)
Old July 9th 03, 11:41 PM

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
"Belphoebe" wrote in message

.. .
"Ruth Shear" wrote in message
[...]

yes, but who, other than the mother, pays attention to these rules?
and what about the "suck it in, spit it out, suck it in, spit it out, suck
it in, spit it out, etc." thing? esp. when there is milk pouring out?
don't give me this look of "it's not fast enough/I'm not getting any."
Edith
DD doing the latter as we speak and getting a facefull (instead of the
mouthful I assume she wants...)

Old July 10th 03, 12:47 AM
Dawn Lawson

E wrote:

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
"Belphoebe" wrote in message

.. .
"Ruth Shear" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, might be TOO much milk, coming too fast, hence she's dealing with it
just fine, starting letdown, and then popping off when it overwhelms her.
(Maybe you already knew that......sorry, posting on the fly)

Old July 10th 03, 03:39 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Belphoebe wrote:

Oh, here's a good one--fist goes into mouth. Mommy removes fist and tries
to start a latch. Other fist replaces first fist. Repeat.

As baby becomes more and more agitated and frantic because
there's no milk coming out of the things in her mouth.

Phoebe

Old July 10th 03, 05:23 PM

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
SNIP

yes, but who, other than the mother, pays attention to these rules?
and what about the "suck it in, spit it out, suck it in, spit it out,

suck
it in, spit it out, etc." thing? esp. when there is milk pouring out?
don't give me this look of "it's not fast enough/I'm not getting any."
Edith
DD doing the latter as we speak and getting a facefull (instead of the
mouthful I assume she wants...)

FWIW, might be TOO much milk, coming too fast, hence she's dealing with it
just fine, starting letdown, and then popping off when it overwhelms her.
(Maybe you already knew that......sorry, posting on the fly)

yup, the coughing and sputtering tends to give it away
I'm one of those rare persons who doesn't have a supply problem, unless you
consider too much a problem...
since she started sleeping 8 hours lately, it seems like I will be doing a
lot more washing of towels...

Edith
nak - where does she put it all?

Old July 11th 03, 07:27 AM

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:10:50 -0400, Bruce and Jeanne
wrote:

I'm currently struggling with the same issue here with DS (5 weeks)...

snip
-- She slurps herself on if left to her own devices, which
results in a less good latch

I have the same problem. I usually just end up sitting up and nursing
with lots of pillows behind me so I can lean back and doze.

If you find yourself nursing sitting up you may want to invest in a
good quality wedge pillow for your back prop. Mine makes a world of
difference. I slept through most of the night feedings sitting up. I
keep the wedge pillow at the head of the bed all the time (I simply
sleep a little lower in the bed than my husband does), and keep a good
nursing pillow beside me for easy grabbing. I could never figure out
how it was going to be easier to wedge/prop/position myself for side
nursing, so I quit trying. Now I kind of wish I could do it, since
the sleepy nursing hormones don't work so well anymore and M still
wakes at least once most nights, but it's not too bad.

Beth, mother of Margaret, still nursing at 17 months