potentially found a car

Old May 4th 07, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Default potentially found a car

Many people do not realize this. I frequently see
child restraints in rear-facing third row seats in cars that
I know for sure say in the operator's manual that you're
not supposed to do that. Even safety seat experts who
feel that it's safer for kids old enough to be out of
restraints to be sitting in the rear-facing seats say that
one should not use child restraints in those positions.
It is possible that some station wagons with rear
facing third row seating are designed to be safe with
child restraints, but unless there's a clear mention in
the operator's manuals for both the car and the restraint,
I wouldn't do it.

Thanks Ericka, to be honest, it wasn't something I'd really plan to do
anyway, I thought it might be very occasionally useful, but if we've already
got them installed in the middle row, we're not going to shift them for a
short journey and for a long journey we'd likely have luggage and not opt to
squeeze into one car. I don't think this kind of thing would swing us away
from this car, if we can use the extra seats in certain ways, it would be a
bonus, I'll check and see if they'll take adults as that would be
frustrating if we didn't have that option either, I quite like the idea of
when my parents are here in the summer that all 6 of us can go out in one
car for local trips. They will hire a car for independence and taking some
trips without us. We are all going to Mt St Helens and that will require
luggage and two cars, but it doesn't make sense to take 2 cars into central
Seattle and pay for parking twice if at all possible.

Anne

Old May 4th 07, 10:05 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Check closely, and have an adult sit in the seat and
try it out. Some models have weight limits for the rear
seat that would preclude adults. In others, an adult would
be totally squashed in the seat. But if it works, it would
be handy--we have a minivan partly because we go places with
my parents very frequently (they live next door) and it
seems silly to take two cars. To do that, we need at least
a 7-seater.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 5th 07, 02:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
well it's taken time, but VW are buying back our car under the lemon law
and it goes back lunchtime on Monday.

Rather oddly, a friend has been unable to sell a car for no apparent
reason, we didn't even know for months, but it came up in conversation
when she didn't know we were returning ours and on finding more
information, it looks like it could be a good car for us, the price is
right and it has features I'm keen on, the one remaining thing is to see
if I can find out anything else about it, I've looked on all the review
sites and it does reasonably, so I thought you guys might be able to help,
it's a 2001 Mercury Sable,

I have a 2001 Mercury Sable but not the wagon - the 4 door sedan. I would
never get another one. We've had to repair to many things and the interior
is cheap IMO (things falling off) That is a lot of miles that one has on it.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 5th 07, 06:52 AM posted to misc.kids
Engram

Anne Rogers wrote:
It's high mileage, but the interior and exterior look excellent
condition, particularly when you consider the mileage, it's over
110,000. This is one thing that concerns my husband, I'm less
concerned, one car we had was lower mileage than that, but not much,
but in poor condition externally and served us very well.

Your husband is kind of right... This car has done the maximum or over the
"recommended use per annum" for a car this age. Generally, it is recommended
that a car do between 10000 km and 20000 km per year. (~ 6-12000 miles). If
the car has done more than this (as this one seems to have done) I would get
a full mechanic's assessment on the wear and tear of the engine before
buying it, check around for prices for similar vehicles and not pay top
dollar for it, either. Doesn't matter that these are friends - get an
assessment done before agreeing to buy it.

Engram

Old May 5th 07, 07:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I have a 2001 Mercury Sable but not the wagon - the 4 door sedan. I would
never get another one. We've had to repair to many things and the
interior is cheap IMO (things falling off) That is a lot of miles that one
has on it.

Thanks for being honest, Nikki, thing is, everything I've looked up seems
the opposite to what you've said. Could you give me a few ideas of things
which have fallen off? I didn't play extensively with the inside, but
everything I did use, such as windows, vents, mirrors, behaved as expected
and to be honest, I was astonished at how good the interior condition was.
We're getting a new (to us) car, because we got unlucky with the brand new
car we bought, we're not aware of any other 2006 Passats being returned
under the lemon law, maybe you were unlucky with this one? Anyway, we will
be getting the carfax report, we will take the car to a garage and get an
assessment, our friend is very kindly letting us borrow the car, so we can
thoroughly test drive it and don't have to rent a car whilst we make a
decision. We're also trying to consider carefully what we need out of a car,
we reckon it has to be cost effective for 3 years, we're not looking for a
car that is going to last a decade, the purchase price on this one is low,
lower than the book value, even taking into account the high mileage, so
maintenance would have to be very costly for this not to be the case, though
of course we have to take into account the faff factor! We've pretty much
decided we will not take any kind of loan, so that considerably reduces our
options, and means a private sale is likely to be a better bet for us as we
can do without the dealer mark ups.

Anne

Old May 5th 07, 08:03 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Check closely, and have an adult sit in the seat and
try it out. Some models have weight limits for the rear
seat that would preclude adults. In others, an adult would
be totally squashed in the seat. But if it works, it would
be handy--we have a minivan partly because we go places with
my parents very frequently (they live next door) and it
seems silly to take two cars. To do that, we need at least
a 7-seater.

If it doesn't work out then so be it, if everything else is fine, this won't
make the decision, as I said to Nikki, with various things, we have limited
options, I look at this as a potential bonus, rather than necessary in our
decision making. My parents will have a car almost all the time they are
here as it's illogical to keep returning then collecting a rental and would
cost just as much. As long as it's not a mad 80 pound limit, then both me
and my parents are small, all under 130lb and 5'6' height so we have a lot
more flexibility than if any of us were tall or wide! I've sat in the back
of a similar car a while back with no issues, at least not for short
journey's!

If they were next door, it would be a different matter, but as it is, I
expect there will be the visit this year, probably not next year, then the
year after and that may be it, I hope DH's parents will put in an appearance
at some point, but other friends/relations are likely to be alone and the
middle of the back seat works ok for that.

Anne

Anne

Old May 5th 07, 08:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

[...]

In tomorrow's New York Times's auto section, there is a story about
certified cars. One car that was certified by the dealer was actually two
halves of two different cars. The person who bought the car noticed that the
color on the front and back of the car didn't match. She took it to her
mechanic who told about the welds on the car. It turns out that the car has
two vehicle identification (serial) numbers - one for the front and one for
the back. Both cars were wrecked. Someone bought the cars, sawed them in
half and welded them together.

Anyway, the point of all this is that if you buy from a good, honest dealer,
you don't always know what you are getting because the dealer doesn't know
what she is getting.

At least with this car, you have a good idea what you are getting. With any
car of this age, even the car I have owned for the last 137,000 mi, you are
taking a risk. Actually, with any car, even one you pick up at the factory
(if you could), there is no way to know whether it will be a good car or
not.

I would say with this type of deal from honest people, go for it.

Jeff

Old May 6th 07, 02:20 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
Check closely, and have an adult sit in the seat and
try it out. Some models have weight limits for the rear
seat that would preclude adults. In others, an adult would
be totally squashed in the seat. But if it works, it would
be handy--we have a minivan partly because we go places with
my parents very frequently (they live next door) and it
seems silly to take two cars. To do that, we need at least
a 7-seater.

If it doesn't work out then so be it, if everything else is fine, this won't
make the decision, as I said to Nikki, with various things, we have limited
options, I look at this as a potential bonus, rather than necessary in our
decision making. My parents will have a car almost all the time they are
here as it's illogical to keep returning then collecting a rental and would
cost just as much. As long as it's not a mad 80 pound limit,

Well, as I said, the Volvos had (don't know if they still
do) an 88 pound limit and really aren't designed for adult use at
all. I found a couple reviews of Mercury Sable wagons in model
years near 2001, and they all suggested that the rear seats
were suitable only for small children. One review said there was
an 80 pound per person limit for the 3rd row seat. Another person
posted a review that said that there was a 60 pound limit in
theirs, but noted that it was handy that the seat was child-sized
so no boosters were needed. Of course, that probably doesn't
pass legal muster in a state that requires boosters up to a
certain age or weight. At any rate, it doesn't sound all that
promising that you could put an adult in back, nor that you could
put carseats in back. So, you may have other good reasons to
buy the car, but I'm not sure the rear seat will be all that
useful to you.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 6th 07, 04:20 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Thanks for being honest, Nikki, thing is, everything I've looked up seems
the opposite to what you've said. Could you give me a few ideas of things
which have fallen off?

We've had to replace the oil pan and something with the radiator and
something else that is escaping me right now.
Inside the door panel things keep falling off. One fell off and the other
the fabric came off.

I read the reviews as well and thought it would be better then it has been.
Perhaps I'm just unlucky It was ranked good in safety and has side
impact air bags and such. Of course I had the air bags in front disengaged
because Hunter has to sit there and he's to small for airbags.

If the price is low enough it could still be a good deal (especially with no
loan) but I wouldn't expect more then three years out of it if you put many
more miles on it. The good news is that if something is just wrong from the
beginning it has already been repaired with that many miles. I'd for sure
get a high mileage vehicle if I was just getting around town but I do a ton
of travel for work so need something more reliable.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 6th 07, 07:51 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

If the price is low enough it could still be a good deal (especially with
no loan) but I wouldn't expect more then three years out of it if you put
many more miles on it. The good news is that if something is just wrong
from the beginning it has already been repaired with that many miles. I'd
for sure get a high mileage vehicle if I was just getting around town but
I do a ton of travel for work so need something more reliable.

we're very different car users to you, the most I usually drive is 5 miles
from home, we'd probably put about 6000 miles on a car in a year, maybe
8000, if we did one long trip (which we have no plans to do currently). My
husband cycles to work, we have a good local bus service, a car rental place
where we get a discount within walking distance etc. So whilst, we don't
exactly want a car that always needs to be in the garage, we've coped fine
with taking the car we're returning into the garage on a ridiculously
regular basis.

Anne

Hey I just found out... CME Single Parents 4 August 26th 05 11:14 PM
I found you!!!! [email protected] Twins & Triplets 0 March 10th 05 04:34 PM
Potentially Bad News Crystal Dreamer Pregnancy 35 March 29th 04 02:26 AM
Look What I Found Pregnancy 0 March 22nd 04 09:23 PM
Look What I Found Kids Health 0 March 22nd 04 09:12 PM