CNN Article of July 27

Old July 28th 06, 01:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Andrea Phillips

Default CNN Article of July 27

Here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/27/nur....ap/index.html

The stance of this article kind of annoys me, because it structures the
discussion as being between "Well, I try not to show too much boob" and
"Ew, gross."

Does anyone else have a take on it?

Old July 28th 06, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I thought it was a goregeous picture, we've recently been trying to take
some like that ourselves, we regret not having pictures of DS breastfeeding,
so we've been making up for it with DD.

I thought the article was fairly balanced actually, there wasn't what you
sometimes get of every statement about it should be allowed being about it
having to be discreet, more pointing out that women who do it do try to be
discreet.

btw, I once had a discussion with my parents about what was discreet in
terms of breastfeeding, we decided on not showing the other breast, unless
you were feeding twins!

Anne

Old July 28th 06, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Andrea Phillips writes:
: Here's the link:

: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/27/nur....ap/index.html

: The stance of this article kind of annoys me, because it structures the
: discussion as being between "Well, I try not to show too much boob" and
: "Ew, gross."

: Does anyone else have a take on it?

I am totally appaled, not so much at the article, but at the common
attitude toward breasts and nursing in American society that the
picture engendered and that spawned the article in the first place!

American have their moral priorities totally backward when only 43%
approve of breastfeeding in public, and where there is such a
potent backlash against something like this to try and reverse
this dismal trend! Now, that is ew gross!

Larry
Old July 29th 06, 08:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

Andrea Phillips wrote:

Here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/27/nur....ap/index.html

The stance of this article kind of annoys me, because it structures the
discussion as being between "Well, I try not to show too much boob" and
"Ew, gross."

Does anyone else have a take on it?

My reply of choice, should I ever get such a comment, would be
"Pervert". Especially the woman worried about her husband and son
catching sight of a stray boob. What a low opinion we have of men, that
the assumption is that seeing a new boob will apparently make them
insane. (I wonder just how many women have a realistic idea of how many
boobs the men in their lives have actually seen - what with porn and all.)

""Men are very visual," said Wheatley, of Amarillo, Texas. "When they
see a woman's breast, they see a breast -- regardless of what it's being
used for."" How does that supposed pro-breastfeeding mom expect
attitudes to change, when she keeps supporting them?

However, just the other night, we were in Chili's restaurant, and when I
was approached by a server, instead of being critical, she gushed about
how great it was that I was breastfeeding - that she had fed her girl
until she was about 18 months old.

I've gotten kinda lackadaisical about NIP - last night we were in a tiny
ice cream shop, I went to lift my shirt, and my MIL asked me if I wanted
the blanket. I said, "nah - I'm a rebel." It was halfway cute and
halfway annoying that she chose to stand and hover right in front of me,
like she was trying to be a human wall; especially since she talks about
breastfeeding my husband and his sis all the time, and in fact she
wetnursed a friend's baby when there was a need.
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 5 months

Check out my new breastfeeding T-shirts on CafePress!
http://www.cafepress.com/dancingbones

Panel Rejects Scaremongering Mark Probert Kids Health 162 April 1st 06 02:00 AM
Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again Jon Walters General 1142 August 25th 05 03:27 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 08:05 PM
Food & Drug Recalls (x-posted) Ali's Daddie General 0 October 4th 03 04:27 AM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM