Leaking like Niagra Falls.....

Old July 23rd 06, 03:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Leaking like Niagra Falls.....

Is leaking something that eases with time as we sort out this
breastfeeding pattern? Or am I doomed to soaking through multiple pads
a day for the next couple of years?

Not the end of the world, but I hate wearing bras,esp. at night. I have
to though as I need something to hold the pads in else I wake up with a
soaking top.

Old July 23rd 06, 05:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is leaking something that eases with time as we sort out this
breastfeeding pattern?

It should!

Or am I doomed to soaking through multiple pads
a day for the next couple of years?

You shouldn't!

Not the end of the world, but I hate wearing bras,esp. at night. I have
to though as I need something to hold the pads in else I wake up with a
soaking top.

I, as well, dispise bras, and yes, especially at night. While nursing,
though, I did have to suck it up and wear a bra for the first little while,
as yes, I always found that for the first little while I'd leak like crazy.
With or without a breast pad (or sometimes 2-3) I'd still wake up half way
through the night soaked. I eventually decided to sleep with a bra and
shoved small towels in my bra for at night. The towels, I found, soaked up
a lot more before soaking right through. The towel idea also worked for me
without a bra and just a top - if I shoved enough towels in there to hold in
place. Sometimes I found it uncomfortable, but then again, a lumpy (dry)
front often beat a soaking night gown or bed (or husband).
Eventually, though, you should find it will settle down. I can't remember
exactly, but within a couple months or so of good, solid breast feeding, I
found I didn't need any nursing pads during the day, and shortly after that,
I found I didn't need them at night either. Your body will more than likely
see how much milk it needs to make for YOUR baby and only then does it seem
to slow down and you'll find you don't wake up soaking wet.
Maybe the towel idea might be worth a shot if you find pads aren't cutting
it for the time being. I know it sounds silly, maybe even slightly
obnoxious, but for me, I would soak right through the front and sometimes to
the sheets and mattress, and at times when I was so wiped from the day and
woke up in the middle of the night, I'd just grab another set (or three) of
pads, put them in my bra and turn my wet shirt around if the dresser was too
far out of my reach.
But, the good thing is, it definitely should ease up to the point where any
pads or similar aren't needed. It just takes time, and normally not THAT
much time!

Old July 23rd 06, 06:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is leaking something that eases with time as we sort out this
breastfeeding pattern? Or am I doomed to soaking through multiple pads
a day for the next couple of years?

Not the end of the world, but I hate wearing bras,esp. at night. I have
to though as I need something to hold the pads in else I wake up with a
soaking top.

DD is 6 1/2 months and I sleep with a couple of cloth nappies on my chest
still. It's not as bad as it was, but I still definitely need them. I'm
down to only going through a few pads during the day - some days I still
pour like a tap (especially after a shower) and some days it's not too bad.
It's a bit of a pain at times, and I still leak through the odd top
occasionally - but I figure at least it means I have a good supply.

Old July 23rd 06, 06:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"xkatx" wrote in message
Sometimes I found it uncomfortable, but then again, a lumpy (dry) front
often beat a soaking night gown or bed (or husband).

*giggle*

I just remembered something.

Early on, DB rolled over and snorted in his sleep.

I was facing him and let down.

*giggles*

Jess

Old July 23rd 06, 09:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article .com,
"cjra" wrote:

Is leaking something that eases with time as we sort out this
breastfeeding pattern? Or am I doomed to soaking through multiple pads
a day for the next couple of years?

Not the end of the world, but I hate wearing bras,esp. at night. I have
to though as I need something to hold the pads in else I wake up with a
soaking top.

Fold a towel in four and sleep with it under you. ATM you have an oversupply
-- nature's way of ensuring there is plenty of milk. There is a hormonal
feedback loop in operation too -- as the excess milk sits in your breast, it
sends a signal saying "don't produce so much!". It will gradually calm down.

Two things to note:
- if it is hot where you are, make sure you keep *yourself* hydrated. I
didn't pay attention last summer and gave myself heat exhaustion. Naturally
good hydration will also help with constipation, as will eating plenty of
fruit (BFing women should eat 5 pieces of fruit a day!).

- If you start feeling as if you are getting influenza -- feverish, achey,
chills, fatigue etc -- especially if you have a sore or red area on your
breast, go straight to a doctor. Mastitis is common when you are engorged, or
your breast is injured by a knock or an ill-fitting bra. Mastitis can be
knocked on the head early by antibiotics, but if you wait, it WILL get worse
and take much longer to recover from.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 23rd 06, 10:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary Ann

cjra wrote:
Is leaking something that eases with time as we sort out this
breastfeeding pattern?

Yes. It will get better very quickly.

Or am I doomed to soaking through multiple pads
a day for the next couple of years?

No. Like everything, some women leak alot, others hardly at all, but
it will lessen as your supply regulates.

Not the end of the world, but I hate wearing bras,esp. at night. I have
to though as I need something to hold the pads in else I wake up with a
soaking top.

You need to find what suits you really, but you'll probably need to
wear a bra and pads for a little while.

Mary Ann

Old July 23rd 06, 10:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

cjra wrote:
Is leaking something that eases with time as we sort out this
breastfeeding pattern? Or am I doomed to soaking through multiple pads
a day for the next couple of years?

Not the end of the world, but I hate wearing bras,esp. at night. I have
to though as I need something to hold the pads in else I wake up with a
soaking top.

Instead of a full bra you might be able to get away with buying one of
those camisole type tops with the built-in shelf bra, the ones that are
basically just another strip of material with elastic at the bottom to
go under your boobs. Those are usually enough to keep a couple of
breastpads in.

Cheryl

Old July 23rd 06, 01:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

personally I'd recommend NOT wearing a bra at night, I think that the end of
the night is the time you are most at risk of triggering a mastitis causing
event. Instead, use towels or nappies both under the sheet and between you
and the sheet. If that isn't sufficient, consider a cropped top, something
looser that could hold pads, a bra that fits well in the day time is
unlikely to be well fitting enough for the peak of engorgement.

Cheers

Anne

Old July 24th 06, 03:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Pologirl

YMMV.

In my case, the leaking never even slowed down. But I learned to cope.
I wore a bra almost all the time (when not nursing I never wear one)
during the day. I abandoned cloth pads; they were not up to the task.
Instead, I used the Lansinoh brand nursing pads during the day, every
day until Monkey Boy weaned himself at 9 months. Those pads work like
a diaper, with an absorbent gel, waterproof outer surface, and sticky
tape backing. I really, really hate wearing a bra at night, so I
didn't wear one. Instead, I bought DH a whole new supply of cotton
undershirts, and took all his old ones to wear myself at night. I kept
a stack by the bed, and after every nursing session I put on a fresh,
dry undershirt. I also kept a stack of cotton receiving blankets by
the bed, and slept with one folded 4-ply underneath me at all times.
Whenever it felt wet or the least bit stiff (dried milk), I replaced it
with a fresh, dry one.

Old July 24th 06, 09:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

cjra writes:
: Is leaking something that eases with time as we sort out this
: breastfeeding pattern? Or am I doomed to soaking through multiple pads
: a day for the next couple of years?

If I remember, it is until your body regulates and established a pattern.
maybe 3 - 4 months at the outside.

: Not the end of the world, but I hate wearing bras,esp. at night. I have
: to though as I need something to hold the pads in else I wake up with a
: soaking top.

sleep on a folded towel.

Larry

4 Y.O Boy Leaking After Potty??? Mommy_123 General 37 February 14th 06 06:38 PM
Am I leaking? Shelley Pregnancy 23 April 16th 05 07:46 PM
leaking amniotic fluid? DHellus Pregnancy 4 December 10th 04 01:32 AM
Please help....leaking clear fluid hpt negative! Stacy Pregnancy 5 September 21st 04 09:00 PM
Leaking question from pre-newbie Taulmaril Breastfeeding 3 January 6th 04 11:04 AM