The little guy is finally here! Birth Story, xposted

Old July 24th 06, 09:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

Default The little guy is finally here! Birth Story, xposted

FInally! After all the hyperemesis, cerclage, preterm contractions,
plus a solid week of mild early labor, etc...we all figured he would
arrive early but no such luck, my due date came and went.

I never had time for an epidural with DD, and I wanted to try to go
natural this time as well. With DD, since I didn;t dilate to the last
minute, no one ever thought I was in "productive labor" and I was in a
lot of pain and too goofy from the Ambien they gave me (saying "go homr
and get some rest, come back when you're in real labor) to focus and
breathe. But I felt so good immediately afterwards that I was glad I
hadn't had any drugs. So DH and I decided to try the Bradley method.

This time, I really did not want to be induced, but was having
problems walking from sciatica and DH was already taking his scheduled
time off so we agreed to an induction. We dropped DD off at the
grandparents and tried everything to get him to come naturally,
including mexican food, hobbling around the mall, pulling out my old
breast pump, etc....So at about 11 pm the night before the induction my
contractions picked up and became more frequent, but not too painful.
I wanted to hang out at home, but when they got to 3 min, 3 min, 5 min,
I figured I should call and check with the doc on call, who told me to
hurry up and get there. (DD was born 40 minutes after we got there
last time and about 15 minutes after a nurse checked me and said I was
still 1 cm)

Things slowed down a bit in the hospital, but they admitted me anyway
and by 5 AM I was in definite labor, but still only 3 cm. By 7, even
though I was having pretty intense contractions, I was getting tired,
having been up for over 24 hours, and since I was still 3 cm I agreed
to let them break my water. Things really picked up then and it got
tougher and tougher to breathe and relax, but DH was great, and we had
a wonderful and very supportive nurse. After about 2 1/2 hours I was
only 5 cm and was ready to quit, thinking I had a long way to go so I
gave in and got nubain (sp?) which was perfect since it took just
enough of the edge off so I could focus again. But within about 5
minutes I had to push and sure enough, was fully dilated and just about
crowning. This time my OB actually made it in time, a bit sweaty from
running over, and DS was born just as he pulled on his gloves. I don't
think they ever even had time to tell me to push, since the whole thing
was over while they were still trying to get ready and telling me to
breathe through contractions.

DS was a bit blue and quiet, and had had the cord around his neck.
Oddly though, I never even worried. I think I just assumed that they
wouldn't lay him on my chest if they were really worried about him. Or
I was still too drugged to worry? Anyway he woke up almost immediately
and pinked up just with some rubbing. It was kind of a shame that I
gave in and took the IV meds at the last minute since we were both a
bit groggy, but I suppose we had no way of knowing it would go that
fast at the end.

DS didn't want to nurse much the first day and it was pretty
frustrating. We had one nursery nurse who drove me nuts since she
wanted to give him a bottle so badly. His glucose was a bit on the low
side, and his temp was the low end of normal, and I think she was
worried about my milk. I kept expressing it into his mouth, but it
wasn;t enough for her. Finally I suggested that if they were going to
insist on a bottle, at least let me pump. She was a bit dubious, but
I'd been somewhat engorged for a week, and pumped out 2 oz in 5
minutes. So DH actually got to feed him his first meal. I was pretty
upset about it being from a rubber nipple, but at least everyone backed
off us for a while. It was pretty special for DH.

The same pushy nurse kept coming in at odd times and insisting that he
come to the nursery for various things related primarily to her
convenience, not believing me that I had plenty of milk and insisting
that I get him to nurse at least 10 minutes every x hours. Finally, I
got really ticked and just told her flat out "NO! You can't take him
and if you are so worried about him eating, why do you keep trying to
take him away from me. Just leave us alone, and I will try every hour
until he gets some." So finally she left and must have reported back
to the next shift, since no one ever asked to take him away after that.
I am so glad that this happened with DS and not DD since by now I have
enough confidence in myself as a nursing mom to know that if he's
pooping and peeing and trying for even a few minutes that he's fine.

Keep in mind he'd already pooped 4 times, and peed several, including a
six foot geyser that got DH sleeping across the room. Guess I need to
get used to boys!

So we are all home now, and nursing like a champ, fortunately no nipple
confusion issues. I am making waaaay too much milk again so will
probably wind up donating again. I know I should avoid pumping, but
I've been too engorged for him to latch in the afternoon the last two
days. I only needed one stitch, and physically, I feel great, if
tired.

DD (23 mo) is doing well so far. She kissed him and held him while I
was in the hospital, then ignored him to playwith his stuff, climb in
the bassinet, etc. I think they worked out a timeshare deal on mommy,
so he is awake all night and she's awake all day. I never coslept
with DD but gave in to the little guy after 2 sleepless nights.....he
is much more of a sucky guy that she ever was. Ah well, we'll cross
that bridge later.

JJ

Old July 24th 06, 10:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

congratuations JJ

you know that pain relief at the end of labour probably didn't have time to
even make it through to the baby, so you may have perceived him to be groggy
due to that, but he was maybe just a tired newborn, it's exceedingly common
for women at that point to cry out for pain relief when they really are
doing fine and it won't be long, it takes a skilled carer to know whether to
coach you through it, or consent to your wishes.

If you ever have a third and need to kick start feeding, it's better to give
it via a syringe, we had to with DS, though it was a totally different
experience, the wonderful lacation consultant taught me to hand express the
colostrum and we gave DS a meal via a syringe that way. The sad thing is
that the hospital only pays her for 4 hours work per week, she spent an hour
with us, helping 4 women a week is really not adequate.

Anne

Old July 25th 06, 12:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

Congratulations on both your little one and on standing up to the overbearing
nurse!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 25th 06, 11:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

JJ wrote:

FInally! After all the hyperemesis, cerclage, preterm contractions,
plus a solid week of mild early labor, etc...we all figured he would
arrive early but no such luck, my due date came and went.

Congrats and welcome to the new guy!

And BOOOOO to the nurse.
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 5 months

Check out my new breastfeeding T-shirts on CafePress!
http://www.cafepress.com/dancingbones
Old July 26th 06, 04:21 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
carl jones

"JJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
FInally! After all the hyperemesis, cerclage, preterm contractions,
plus a solid week of mild early labor, etc...we all figured he would
arrive early but no such luck, my due date came and went.

((((((Hugs))))))

Congratulations! Good show telling that officious nurse to get lost! It is
enough of a challenge being a new parent without that!

You did a great job!

Carl

Old July 27th 06, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Joybelle

"JJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
FInally! After all the hyperemesis, cerclage, preterm contractions,
plus a solid week of mild early labor, etc...we all figured he would
arrive early but no such luck, my due date came and went.

Congratulations!!

Joy