Abusive-parent apologists and anti CPS ranters ...

Old July 28th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.parenting.spanking
0:->

Default Abusive-parent apologists and anti CPS ranters ...

.... DON'T OPEN THIS POST...

Opps! Now you've done it.

Too late.

Now you'll feel compelled to read it and it does NOT support your models
of what CPS, adoption, fostering, and the children are about.

I should have warned you in the subject line, but I snort just ran out
of space.

My bad.

http://www.krdotv.com/DisplayStory.asp?id=11563
KRDO TV - News 13 for Southern Colorado

HEARTS OF GOLD--NERVES OF STEEL

News Channel 13's Scott Harrison Presents A Three-Part Series On The
Emotional Issues Faced By Families Of Adoptive And Foster Kids.
by Scott Harrison

7/23/2006

We begin a series of reports looking into the difficult problems that
frequently follow when troubled kids are taken from troubled homes. News
Channel 13's Scott Harrison shows us the foster parents and adoptive
parents who need "Hearts of Gold and Nerves of Steel" to handle those kids.

PART 1
John and Janice Rogers brought these problems to our attention about a
month ago. They and other foster and adoptive parents open their homes
to a lot of heartache, in an effort to help. The Rogers were unable to
have their own children. So ten years ago, they adopted Ruby.

Janice Rogers, adoptive mother: "She had a huge smile. She was tiny and
eight years old. She looked like a real character--like she'd really fit
in."

Her birth father was in prison. There were stories of abuse... but the
Rogers didn't care.

"We expected temper tantrums and strange behaviors. She had been through
a lot as a little girl."

Despite regular counseling and medication...when Ruby reached puberty...

John Rogers, adoptive father: "She just had a meltdown. Don't know
exactly what triggered it, but while she was in school. She cut one of
the teachers--or teacher's aides--and held the classroom at bay."

Mary and Richard Bloomis can relate. They adopted their four grandchildren.

Richard Bloomis, grandfather: "They knew five fathers and were abused by
most of them. They roamed the streets looking for food at two o'clock
and three o'clock in the morning, back in West Virginia."

11-year-old Brandon worries them the most.

"He's very destructive to himself and to the property, to his brothers."

Two Denver-area mothers have similar stories. Beverly Easton adopted
five kids from the same family.

Beverly Easton, adoptive mother: "I didn't know how widespread it was at
the time; how many problems there were; how much abuse there was."

Like so many troubled kids...deep scars show through on Maria Perez'
adopted daughter.

Maria Perez, adoptive mother: "So when I ask her to leave, she says that
i throw her away just like her mother did. So she has all this anger."

These adoptive families all tell us their love isn't enough. They need help.

"We feel abandoned. From everybody who said they were going to be there,
from all the things that were going to happen to help us with these
kids, we feel abandoned."

Tomorrow in part two of "Hearts of Gold, Nerves of Steel"...we'll look
further into what the doctors call Reactive Attachment Disorder. Scott
Harrison, News Channel 13.

PART 2
It's called Reactive Attachment Disorder, and what it means is often big
trouble for parents willing to adopt troubled kids. RAD limits emotional
development, and lingers even after kids move to a happier, healthier
environment. RAD also can tear the new family apart.

Ruby, Brandon and Angelica... all have Reactive Attachment Disorder.
Therapy, counseling and medicine have failed.

John Rogers, adoptive father: "We found what we believed was a good
sport for her--powerlifting. Ultimate mistake for us."

Janice Rogers, adoptive mother: "She ran after me with the baseball bat,
she broke the bat over my arm after hitting me several times with it."

Richard Bloomis, grandfather: "Most of the psychologists say he needs to
go away somewhere. And some of them just gave up on him. One of them was
afraid of him."

Maria Perez, adoptive mother: "She's out living in a shelter right now,
because she can't follow home rules. Verbally abusive."

El Paso County has about 2,700 adopted and foster kids in 1,500 hundred
families. Nobody knows how many may have RAD--and many others have other
emotional problems.

Beverly Easton, adoptive mother: "I think you're going to find it in
every one of the adopted families that there were problems with the
biological parent. If you get a baby, you can even get the Reactive
Attachment problem."

An epidemic of methamphetamine drug users will probably make things worse.

Roni Spaulding, Department of Human Services: "I think we're going to
see that in Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, with drug exposure when children
have been infants. We don't know what we're going to see with children
who have been exposed to methamphetamines."

Evelyn Hernandez-Sullivan, magistrate: "There really is no way to go
back and say X, Y and Z definitely caused this."

Meanwhile, the future for Ruby... Brandon... and Angelica..remains
uncertain.

"Had her removed from the youth detention center and placed in a group
home. She's being verbally assaultive, she's refusing to follow any
rules. She's ran away from this group home."

"He's either going to be dead, or in prison--because of the things he
thinks he can do, and the things he does do. So that's our biggest worry."

"She was accepted to a college in New Mexico. However, she still hasn't
graduated. She has 1/2 credit yet. Hopefully, she'll get it."

It took courage for the families you've seen, to come forward and share
their stories. They tell us they love their kids--but they're also
discouraged, frustrated and getting too little help. We'll look at their
options tomorrow, in the final part of our series. Scott Harrison, News
Channel 13.

PART 3
Adoptive and foster families cry out for more resources and support for
kids with serious emotional problems. These adoptive and foster parents
want biological parents who cause problems, to be held accountable. They
don't want all of the blame for the destructive behavior of these very
troubled youngsters to fall on their shoulders. And they need more help.

Adoptive and foster parents want the best care for their kids. But it's
expensive, and Medicaid is limited.

"Day treatment is over $1,600 a day."
"It runs anywhere from $4,000 to $6,000 a month."
"It's phenomenal."

If they ask for more help from the state, they may find themselves
charged with "dependency and neglect."
"Typically, you'd be charged as an unfit parent--just to get her help.
We're opposed to that. We're not unfit, it's nothing we've done."

The judge recognized that fact, and included the notation "parents not
at fault." But the Rogers worry the finding itself may hurt their careers.

"They'll just run a background check to see that dependency and
neglect--guilty, they don't want you."

Evelyn Hernandez-Sullivan, magistrate: "That's a glitch in the law.
That's a glitch present not only in the state of Colorado, but in many
other states as well. Certainly, I would love to see that changed."

Foster parents appear to get some help, but adoptive parents very little.

Beverly Easton, adoptive parent: "When we adopt them, it's like they're
yours now, and--if they get in trouble, all of a sudden--you caused it."

The Department of Human Services disagrees.

Yvonne Sletta, Department of Human Services: "If they mean financial
payments, that probably is a little bit less than it used to be. If
we're looking at resources to help the family, then i would say there
are more resources available in this community now."

Resources like Roundup Fellowship can help kids like 15-year-old Jesse
Katz feel and act more like other kids.

Jesse Katz, Roundup resident: "We get good food, and I get to go to the
public school. How do you feel, pretty good? Are you happy? Yeah."

State lawmakers approved a bill in the last session that will give
teachers better training to recognize students' emotional problems. But
a plan to give 40-million dollars for mental health did not pass.
Scott Harrison, News Channel 13.

*****
CONTACTS

If you need help with adoptive or foster kids and parents, and mental
health issues, here are phone numbers to call:

Pikes Peak Mental Health 444-5536 or 444-8378
El Paso County Department of Human Services 444-5507 or 444-5973
Grandparents' Advocate 444-5529

http://www.krdotv.com/DisplayStory.asp?id=11563

contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin (or someone else)
Old July 28th 06, 06:10 AM
beccafromlalaland beccafromlalaland is offline
Senior Member

It's so sad that these parents and foster parents try so hard to do what is right for the children in their care and they are denied services at every turn. I guess I'm fortunate to have thrived in the foster care system...really because I'm a fighter, and had a Case worker who really went to the mat for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0:-

__________________
Becca

Momma to two boys

Big Guy 3/02
and

Wuvy-Buv 8/05
Old July 28th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Carlson LaVonne

Naw, couldn't be! Don't you know that foster parents are evil and far
more dangerous than any biological parents (grin)! Reference: Greegor

Old July 28th 06, 11:46 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
0:->

Carlson LaVonne wrote:
Naw, couldn't be! Don't you know that foster parents are evil and far
more dangerous than any biological parents (grin)! Reference: Greegor

I've always respectfully admired you, LaVonne, but I confess for heroes
to me, beccafromlalaland has got you beat.

Have you read what she shared about her past and parenting?

becca' and folks like her were why I worked in the field I did. And very
often with foster children.

They are my heroes. Warriors.

0:-)

Old July 29th 06, 02:06 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Greegor

Kane wrote
becca' and folks like her were why I worked in the field I did.

What kind of manure spreader did you use in this field?

Old July 29th 06, 02:23 AM
beccafromlalaland beccafromlalaland is offline
Senior Member

awww thanks for the warm fuzzies Kane :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0:-
Carlson LaVonne wrote:
Naw, couldn't be! Don't you know that foster parents are evil and far
more dangerous than any biological parents (grin)! Reference: Greegor

I've always respectfully admired you, LaVonne, but I confess for heroes
to me, beccafromlalaland has got you beat.

Have you read what she shared about her past and parenting?

becca' and folks like her were why I worked in the field I did. And very
often with foster children.

They are my heroes. Warriors.

0:-)

[color=blue][i]

Old July 29th 06, 03:41 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
0:->

Greegor wrote:
Kane wrote
becca' and folks like her were why I worked in the field I did.

What kind of manure spreader did you use in this field?

Oh, had nothing to do with farming. Sorry to have confused you.

In these narrative format I was using I thought it obvious I meant
professional field.

Your help in clarifying my post is very much appreciated, Greg.

Feel free. Anything that supports my message being clear is welcome.

I even thank my wife for backseat driving. It can save lives. Who knows,
I might a sunbeam in my eye and miss seeing a child running toward the
street.

Again, thank you.

0:-

contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin (or someone else)
Old July 29th 06, 05:22 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
0:->

beccafromlalaland wrote:
awww thanks for the warm fuzzies Kane :-)

Your story is my thanks.

Best, Kane

[color=blue][i]

0:- Wrote:
Carlson LaVonne wrote:-
Naw, couldn't be! Don't you know that foster parents are evil and far

more dangerous than any biological parents (grin)! Reference:
Greegor-

I've always respectfully admired you, LaVonne, but I confess for heroes

to me, beccafromlalaland has got you beat.

Have you read what she shared about her past and parenting?

becca' and folks like her were why I worked in the field I did. And
very
often with foster children.

They are my heroes. Warriors.

0:-)

-
-

Old July 29th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Carlson LaVonne

0:- wrote:

Carlson LaVonne wrote:

Naw, couldn't be! Don't you know that foster parents are evil and far
more dangerous than any biological parents (grin)! Reference: Greegor

I've always respectfully admired you, LaVonne, but I confess for heroes
to me, beccafromlalaland has got you beat.

Oh shoot. I thought I would always be the best hero (grin)!

Have you read what she shared about her past and parenting?

Yes, I have.

becca' and folks like her were why I worked in the field I did. And very
often with foster children.

I know that. But I did like her post. Sometimes I just go with what I
have at the time. No everyone knows the history.

They are my heroes. Warriors.

Grin.

LaVonne

0:-)

Old July 31st 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Doan

So does that meant you are are no longer my "sock-puppet"? ;-)

Doan

[color=blue][i]

-

--