Dr. Hull made SOME changes I recommended, but he still 'forgets' those hematomas ABOVE the periosteum...

Old December 9th 06, 06:37 PM posted to sci.med,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.health.alternative
Todd Gastaldo

Default Dr. Hull made SOME changes I recommended, but he still 'forgets' those hematomas ABOVE the periosteum...

DR. HULL MADE **SOME** CHANGES I RECOMMENDED, BUT HE STILL "FORGETS"
THOSE HEMATOMAS **ABOVE** THE PERIOSTEUM

Attn Jeffrey Hull, MD (again) ), see below.

First things first...

LARA IS RIGHT...

Lara wrote of the Wikipedia diagram showing cephalhematoma:

"The diagram here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalhematoma]
makes the anatomy clear..."
http://groups.google.com/group/misc....6854048f8f30db

The Wikipedia diagram appeared (and still appears) to me to show both
cephalhematoma and subgaleal hematoma as being subgaleal - below the
epicranial aponeurosis - above the periosteum.

But as Lara points out...

"...cephalohematoma involves subperiosteal bleeding and is limited by
the suture lines..."
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic929.htm

ALSO: The Wikipedia explanation (as opposed to the diagram) clearly
states that cephalhematoma is "between the skull and the periosteum of
a newborn baby secondary to rupture of blood vessels crossing the
periosteum...the swelling is subperiosteal..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalhematoma

As a consequence of my post, Jeffrey changed the sentence where he
called external skull periosteum "dura mater."

FORTUNATELY Jeffrey did not ape me in my
cephalhematoma-is-above-the-periosteum error.

The relevant sentence at Jeffrey's website now reads:

"A cephalohematoma is a collection of blood under the periosteum."
http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/C/cephalohematoma.html

UNFORTUNATELY, Jeffrey did not mention subgaleal hematoma (which IS
above the skull periosteum) and he will not be assisting me in stopping
MD-obstetricians from vacuuming babies to death with birth canals
senselessly closed the "extra" up to 30%.