Proposed NIP legislation in Illinois in the news

Old February 26th 04, 07:46 PM
Irene

Default Proposed NIP legislation in Illinois in the news

My sister just emailed me the following link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg26.html

Anyone in Illinois - it sounds like time to write your (my!) legislator!

Irene
Old February 26th 04, 09:24 PM
Mom2Aries

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
| My sister just emailed me the following link:
|
| http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg26.html
|
| Anyone in Illinois - it sounds like time to write your (my!) legislator!
|
| Irene

According to the law info on LLL's website, Illinois does allow nursing in
public. So now I'm confused. (I also live in Illinois)

Cadie and Aries

Old February 26th 04, 09:27 PM
Mom2Aries

"Mom2Aries" wrote in message

| "Irene" wrote in message
| om...
| | My sister just emailed me the following link:
| |
| | http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg26.html
| |
| | Anyone in Illinois - it sounds like time to write your (my!) legislator!
| |
| | Irene
|
| According to the law info on LLL's website, Illinois does allow nursing in
| public. So now I'm confused. (I also live in Illinois)
|
| Cadie and Aries

Finishing my post. I also was under the impression that breastfeeding in
public is legal in all states, they just don't have it written out... which
is what causes problems. I thought the only reason states got a legislature
written up was to prevent problems and to make it clear that it IS legal to
nurse your baby anywhere you're allowed to be.

Old February 26th 04, 10:04 PM
Lucy

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
My sister just emailed me the following link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg26.html

Anyone in Illinois - it sounds like time to write your (my!) legislator!

Irene

I had no idea that I could be asked not to nurse in public. I'm in Illinois
too and have nursed in public frequently, without a single problem.

Lucy

Old February 26th 04, 11:10 PM
badgirl

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
My sister just emailed me the following link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg26.html

Anyone in Illinois - it sounds like time to write your (my!)

legislator!

Irene

WOW! Holy Crap! LaGrange is like almost right next door to where I
live. I've NEVER had a problem NIP and I feel sorry for the person who
gives me a hard time feeding bub in public *snort*
Even if the Illinois law doesn't protect me I'd still stand my ground
until they hauled my ornery ass off to jail *grin* That'd be just the
thing to make the local news

Anyway I'll send a letter to my local politicians and add my input
about NIP and my right to feed my munchkin wherever I am.

Jen

Old February 27th 04, 12:09 AM
Marnie

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
My sister just emailed me the following link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg26.html

This is a case of enacting legislation to overcome ignorance, in response to
a specific incident. There is nothing in Illinois law that prohibits
breastfeeding in public places. In other words it's not against the law, but
it has yet to become a legislatively protected activity.

It's not illegal for me to turn cartwheels on the sidewalk, either... but
it's not legislatively protected.

In other news: 70 percent!! I'm impressed.

--
Marnie, BF in Illinois since 1999 and counting

Old February 27th 04, 03:15 PM
Irene

"Marnie" wrote in message news:ZUv%b.419632$na.808208@attbi_s04...
"Irene" wrote in message
om...
My sister just emailed me the following link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg26.html

This is a case of enacting legislation to overcome ignorance, in response to
a specific incident. There is nothing in Illinois law that prohibits
breastfeeding in public places. In other words it's not against the law, but
it has yet to become a legislatively protected activity.

Exactly...

It's not illegal for me to turn cartwheels on the sidewalk, either... but
it's not legislatively protected.

In other news: 70 percent!! I'm impressed.

I'm guessing that's a "has breastfed at least once" or somthing like
that kind of statistic, but hey - it's a start!

Irene