Fluorida dentists unscientific?

Old June 11th 04, 09:45 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Fluorida dentists unscientific?

FLUORIDA DENTISTS UNSCIENTIFIC?

RAED AL KASEM, DDS reportedly says that fluoridation is opposed by
"uneducated people using illegitimate data." [Quoted by Glickman, see
below.]

A number of towns are reportedly ignoring such dentists and listening to
scientists and getting RID of fluoridation...

"Over 80 cities have rejected fluoride since 1996, including Santa Clara,
Santa Cruz and Mtn. View California in 1985. This includes a number of towns
which already were fluoridated."
http://www.nofluoride.com/

In Pinellas County, Fluorida - ONE commissioner - BARBARA SHEEN TODD - voted
against fluoridation....

A FUNNY STORY...

When Fluorida fluoridators were informed of the fact that fluoride comes
from POLLUTION SCRUBBERS - they simply renamed pollution scrubbers "product
recovery units" - LOL!
http://www.fluoridealert.org/g-glasser.htm

I mention this because when Pinellas County (Fluorida) Administrator Stephen
M. Spratt, called upon Dr. Heilman (sp) "our leading public health expert in
the area" to address "concerns about fluoride..."
http://www.co.pinellas.fl.us/bcc/med...04/Item_16.ram ---VIDEO

Dr. Heilman (sp) began:

"I know that you have been under significant pressure from selected
citizens..."

He lauded the commission for their decision to fluoridate...

Commissioner Barbara Sheen Todd had to bring his focus back to CONCERNS
ABOUT FLUORIDE...

She made the point that hydrofluorosilicic acid is a WASTE PRODUCT...

Dr. Heilman (sp) said:

"There are some who would say that the phosphate is waste from the
production of hydrofluorosilicic acid..." (LOL!)
http://www.co.pinellas.fl.us/bcc/med...04/Item_16.ram (06:50)

Again, when fluoridators were informed that fluoride comes from POLLUTION
SCRUBBERS - they simply renamed pollution scrubbers "product recovery
units" - LOL!

Dr. Heilman sounded to me more like a dyed-in-the-wool hydrofluorosilicic
acid cheerleader rather than a "leading public health expert in the area."

http://www.co.pinellas.fl.us/bcc/med...04/Item_16.ram ---VIDEO

As noted above, Fluorida dentist RAED AL KASEM, DDS reportedly told the
Pinellas County commissioners that fluoridation is opposed by "uneducated
people using illegitimate data."

Here is my source...

Peter Glickman, president of Pinellas County Citizens for Safe Water says:

IF YOU'RE PRESSED FOR TIME, BE SURE TO READ NUMBER 2 BELOW!!

Table of Contents
--------------------

1. Fax from Upper Pinellas County Dental Assn to Dentists asking for help
2. The form letter they are to sign and fax says.
3. The Am. Dental Assn's requirement that dentists support fluoridation or
be disciplined
4. What I'm going to do
5. What you can do about it

---------------------------------

1. Fax from Upper Pinellas County Dental Assn to Dentists asking for help

On June 4, the president of the Upper Pinellas County Dental Association
(UPCDA), Raed Kasem, 796-2183, faxed all the dentists in Pinellas County.
His cover letter said:

" Fluoridation - Your immediate attention is needed!

"Dear Doctor:

"The Pinellas County Commissioners are asking (UPCDA) directly for help in
supporting them in the water fluoridation issue.

"A well-organized minority has been very aggressive in criticizing the
commissioners' decision to fluoridate the county water supply. This group
has an anti-fluoridation web site and has been writing numerous letters to
local newspapers. Recently a record crowd of 150 people attended a county
commissioners' meeting voicing their opposition to fluoridation as reported
to us by County Commissioner Karen Seel.

"Fluoridating Pinellas County water supply is [This was sent 3 days before
it happened] set to begin June 7, 2004. This action could be overturned very
soon if we do not lend our professional support to the county commissioners
who acted on our strong recommendation regarding this issue.

"Please take a minute from your busy schedule to sign and fax the attached
petition to The County Commissioners at (727) 464-3022.

"Please feel free to call me should you have any question or concern
regarding this issue."

--------------------------

2. The form letter they are to sign and fax says:

"Dear Commissioner,

"As a practicing dentist in your county, I am writing to voice my support
for your efforts to fluoridate the county water supply. I realize that you
have had to stand up to a large amount of criticism from a very vocal
minority. Please remember that you are hearing from a minority who use false
claims and scare tactics to support their cause. As a health care provider,
I assure you that you have acted correctly in fluoridating the water supply.
Legitimate science has proven the safety and effectiveness of water
fluoridation for over 65 years. All mainstream medical and dental
associations support water fluoridation. As a leader in this community, you
may have to put up with criticism from uneducated people using illegitimate
data. Rest assured that the health care providers in your area support your
efforts.

"Sincerely,
[Space left for signature]"

Please observe that they have been given NO PARTICULARS OF WHAT WE'VE SAID.
So, how do they know we are uneducated and using illegitimate data and false
claims? And who's uneducated?

The vast majority of these dentists graduated before 1) the lead studies in
1999 and 2000 showed the danger of "chemical soup" increasing lead in the
blood of children leading to increased learning disabilities and violent
crime (http://www.fluoridation.com/lead.htm); 2) the former President of the
Canadian Assn for Dental Research, Dr. Hardy Limeback, B.Sc., Ph.D., D.D.S.,
Current Associate Professor and Head, Preventive Dentistry at the University
of Toronto, reversed his stance on fluoride in a public apology in 1999
(http://www.slweb.org/limeback.html); and 3) Dr. John Colquhoun, chief
dental officer of Auckland, New Zealand, in 1980 examined children's dental
records to help promote fluoridation, found fabricated statistics and
errors, but no advantage at all from fluoridation and began campaigning
against fluoride (http://www.slweb.org/colquhoun.html) to name just a few
modern studies.

-----------------------------

3. The Am. Dental Assn's requirement that dentists support fluoridation or
be disciplined

There is a good reason the author of the fax felt confident that 1) he could
say, "All mainstream medical and dental associations support water
fluoridation." And 2) expect the dentists to act without needing any FACTS.

In 1997, the town of Natick, MA was being pressured to fluoridate. They
appointed an impartial panel of 3 scientists, one professor of college
chemistry and a chemical engineer. These did their own investigation,
recommended the town not fluoridate, and published a 92 page report
(http://www.fluoridation.com/natick.htm).

In Appendix B: The Difficulty of Research on Fluoridation, they point out
that 1) numerous scientific studies submitted to US mainstream medical and
dental publications have been refused and had to be published outside the
US; and 2) the Am. Dental Assn's policy is that "Dentists' nonparticipation
[in fluoridation promotion] is [clear] neglect of professional
responsibility." (http://www.fluoridation.com/natick.htm) In plain English,
this means if they don't support fluoridation, they stand to lose their
career, reputation and livelihood.

-----------------------------------

4. What I'm going to do

I'm going to fax the author of the fax to the dentists a challenge to
publicly debate the facts of fluoride. I'm going to make his day by making
sure a copy of the challenge gets to all the major media in the Tampa Bay
area. The date and time will have to be arranged. I don't want him to be
able to say I'm not free that day like our county's Director of the Health
Dept. has done three times when he was offered the opportunity to debate
William Hirzy, PhD, an EPA scientist; Chris Bryson, author of the book The
Fluoride Deception (110 pages of just footnotes); and Dr. Paul Connett,
Professor of Chemistry, St. Lawrence University.

-----------------------------------

5. What you can do about it

A. Call, write, and email the commissioners with copies of the points above
indicating we know the dentists are being pressured to fax statements of
support without even knowing what they are calling false and illegitimate!

Mail Address for all commissioners:
315 Court Street, 5th Floor
Clearwater, Fl 33756 Email addresses Fax for all commissioners:
464-3022
Karen Seel (up for reelection) 464-3278
Robert Stewart (up for reelection)
464-3363
Calvin Harris (up for reelection)
464-3360
Susan Latvala
464-3276
John Morroni
464-3276
Kenneth Welch
464-3614
Barbara Sheen Todd
464-3365 --- [Todd Gastaldo, DC
notes: Barbara Sheen Todd (roughly 15% of the commission) voted AGAINST
fluoridation. I think ALL of them would have voted against it if the
fluoridators had been forced to debate their position.]

B. Show up with our group at the Pinellas County Charter Review Commission
meeting this Monday June 14, 2004 at 7:45 am in Conference Room 211 at the
Swisher Building, 509 East Avenue S. (It's one block west of Myrtle on
Chestnut St., which is one block south of Court St. This is about three
blocks from the courthouse downtown.)

We need 150 people to show up to make the point that we will not go away now
that the chemical soup is in the water. This will impress them greatly. The
chairman of the commission has asked us to be respectful of our 3 minutes.

I recommend you insist on our God given right to clean safe water with
nothing added to it and tell the commission you want the safe water
resolution, which adds this concept to the county charter, put on the agenda
and passed. (The safe water resolution was drafted and submitted by another
Pinellas anti-fluoridation group, Safe Water Alliance Pinellas.)

C. Talk to, call, write, or fax every dentist you can with copies of the
research they "probably haven't seen."

D. Call anyone you can find in the media and ask them to broadcast (or
print) the author of the fax's response and cover the debate. Please wait
until after 2 pm today (Friday) to give me time to write and fax it to him.
By the way, all calls to the media, or letters to the editor, will help us
tremendously even if they are done next week or the week after. The media
publish what people want to know about. If you call in, their producers pay
attention to that topic and remember it for later.

E. Call Virginia Brown at 443-4737 and volunteer some time or money. The
more hands, the lighter the work.besides, it's fun!

For Safe Water,
Peter Glickman

END Citizens for Safe Water Announcement

To subscribe to the Citizens for Safe Water Announcement List go to:
http://safewater.commercesite.com/

Copied to:

Raed Al Kasem, DDS
3165 N McMullen Booth Rd Ste A2
Clearwater, FL 33761-2020
Phone: (727)796-2183
via

Copied to: Attorney Paul Beeber, President, New York State Coalition
Opposed to
Fluoridation, Inc., PO Box 263,Old Bethpage, NY 11804

Copied also to:

Pinellas County Commissioners...

;

AS NOTED ABOVE: ONE Pinellas Commissioner (roughly 15% of the commission)
voted AGAINST fluoridating: Barbara Sheen Todd.

Finally, my usual public service announcement - it doesn't have a thing to
do with fluoride - except that it involves health care professionals doing
something very bizarre to children...

PREGNANT WOMEN: Obstetricians and CNMwives are knowingly closing birth
canals up to 30%...

For simple PROOF - and simple instructions on how to allow your birth canal
to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%...

See: I ain't no Semmelweis, but...

This post will be archived for global access within 24 hours in the Google
usenet groups archive. Search http://groups.google.com for "Fluorida:
Pinellas County dentists unscientific?"

Old June 13th 04, 04:22 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default 80 cities have rejected fluoride since 1996: Pinellas County Commissioners - a golden opportunity!

"Over 80 cities have rejected fluoride since 1996, including Santa Clara,
Santa Cruz and Mtn. View California in 1985. This includes a number of towns
which already were fluoridated."
quoted at
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2601

OPEN LETTER (archived for global access; see below)

ATTENTION: PINELLAS COUNTY (FL) COMMISSIONERS (emails listed below):

An incredible opportunity!!!

A DEBATE!

New York professor of chemistry Dr. Paul Connett will fly to Florida to
debate Pick Talley, director of the Pinellas County Water System Utilities!

All you have to do is pay his airfare and accomodations. He's on a
sabbatical until late August 2005.

Check out Prof. Connett's GREAT response to Pick's June 10, 2004 letter
published in the St. Petersburg Times (see below).

JUST THINK: You guys could VIDEOTAPE Prof. Connett's debate with Pick
Talley - just like you videotape your Commission meetings!

A *whole nation* of county commissioners would then have access to the
debate for use in their deliberations/reconsiderations of fluoridation!

Do NOT miss this extraordinary opportunity!

I think it is SO cool that one of you - Commissioner Barbara Sheen Todd -
has already voted against fluoridation.

I think you will all agree with Commissioner Todd after you see Prof.
Connett debate Pick!

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Copied to: Dr. Paul Connett,
Professor of Chemistry,
St. Lawrence University,
Canton, NY 13617
315-379-9200

THE FLUORIDE ACTION NETWORK
http://www.fluoridealert.org

FAN CAMPAIGN Bulletin #47: Throwing Down the Gauntlet.

June 11, 2004

Dear All,

Throwing down the gauntlet is a medieval term and it seems to me that it is
highly appropriate to use when challenging a medieval practice like water
fluoridation, especially when dealing with proponents who defend the
practice in a medieval way, i.e. citing second hand authorities to support
their case rather than doing their own first hand research of the
scientific literature.

So today I threw down the gauntlet in two more communities which are
confronted with attempts to impose fluoridation on citizens: Pinellas
County, Florida and rural areas in the state of Victoria, Australia. In both
cases I have challenged local officials who have enthusiastically endorsed
and promoted fluoridation to debate the issue with me in public. I have
printed my letters below, and the letters to which I was responding.
[Australia correspondence not included here]

I hope other communities confronted with vocal and enthusiastic promoters of
fluoridation will throw down the gauntlet in a similar fashion.

Remember I am on sabbatical until late August 2005 and am more than happy to
come to any community anywhere in the world to debate this issue, providing
the fare and accomodation can be found to make this possible. If you are
interested please send me the newspaper article or letter from a key
official and the email address of the local paper and I will take it from
there. In some countries it might be more cost effective to use a local
expert, but either way the tactic is a very powerful one. This is because in
fluoridated countries local health officials and local dentists have been
persuaded that they can comfortably and confidently promote this practice
without reading the literature! They are persuaded to do this a) because of
those important "authorities" that they can cite second hand and b) because
they don't think the citizens will be able to counteract their "white coat"
authority.

The American Dental Association revealed this strategy in the 1970's, and
little has changed since. Here is a statement from a white paper of theirs
circulated in 1979:

"Individual dentists must be convinced that they need not be familiar with
scientific reports of laboratory and field investigations on fluoridation to
be effective participants in the promotion program and that nonparticipation
is overt neglect of professional responsibility."

The same attitude is equally true of the dental directors of most state
departments of health and officials on local health boards who blindly
follow the directives of the US Public Health Service, and particularly the
clockwork platitudes of the CDC.

Paul Connett

PS It is too soon to know whether my letters will be published or not, but I
will keep you posted.
1) PINELLAS COUNTY, FLORIDA.

Letters to the Editor [from Pick Talley)
Published June 10, 2004

This is to address the letters appearing in your paper questioning the
County Commission's decision to fluoridate Pinellas County's public water
supply.

To my knowledge, Pinellas County Utilities is the largest water utility in
the southeastern United States that was not fluoridating its water supply.
Approximately 163-million U.S. residents receive fluoridated water in the
public water supply of their community.

Fluoridation began in public water supplies in the United States in 1945.
Since that time, there has been an enormous amount of research on the health
effects and benefits of fluoridation. Fluoridation has been found to benefit
the general public by the reduction of size and number of dental cavities,
particularly in children. There has been an enormous amount of research on
the potential health effects of adding fluoride to the public water supply.
These studies recognized by the mainstream medical and regulatory
authorities have not identified deleterious health effects for the general
population.

The following organizations either recommend or support the addition of
fluoride to public water supplies for the benefit of public health: World
Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control, American Medical
Association, National Science Foundation, Florida Department of Health,
American Cancer Society, U.S. surgeon general, American Heart Association,
American Association of Public Health Dentistry, American Academy of
Pediatrics, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Environmental
Protection Agency, American Public Health Association, American Dental
Hygienists Association, International Association for Dental Research and
the Pinellas County Health Department.

In August 2003, the County Commission reviewed a request from the state and
county health departments to fluoridate the water supply for the beneficial
health of its residents. The commission reviewed the reports and
recommendations of many of the organizations listed above. The commission
held a public hearing at which residents for and against fluoridation gave
testimony.

The commission also reviewed a survey of 737 customers of the county water
system. Fifty-one percent of the customers surveyed supported fluoridation,
12 percent opposed and 37 percent did not know or had no opinion. The
commission decided, based on the overwhelming preponderance of information
provided, that Pinellas County's public water supply should be fluoridated
for the benefit of its residents.

There are a number of misunderstandings among those who have written in
opposition. Additional information that may be helpful in reviewing this
issue:

We cannot find any record of a referendum for Pinellas County Utilities on
the issue of fluoridation of the county water supply.

The toxicity of fluoride is no more of a threat to humans in the
concentrations included in a public water supply than other chemicals that
are added to the water supply for the protection of public health.

There have been no reports of the alleged health concerns (mentioned by)
those who oppose fluoridation in the communities around us or across the
United States, where fluoridation has been a common practice for many years.

The county does no original research on the materials it uses to treat its
water to improve the public health reliability of its supply. It relies on
the advice of those agencies that have the best expertise and resources in
the world to make these determinations. Only those materials meeting the
most stringent scientific analysis are used, as recommended by those
agencies.

Reports and studies that allege public health risks from fluoridation should
go through the same level of scrutiny by agencies such as the Centers for
Disease Control and the National Academy of Sciences to prove the validity
of their results. Should these studies stand up to strict scientific
protocols, then those agencies would notify the public and the public
utilities of potential concerns.

Readers who may have concern about fluoridation should direct their
questions to the agencies listed above for specific health information.

-- Pick Talley, director, Pinellas County Water System Utilities
___

CONNETT'S RESPONSE.

Letters-to-the-Editor,
St. Petersburg Times,
June 11, 2004.

Dear Editor,

I would like to respond to Pick Talley's letter to the editor of June 10. In
this letter Mr. Talley, the director of the Pinellas County Water System
Utilities, defends the the County Commission's decision to fluoridate
Pinellas County's public water supply.

Mr. Talley begins by pointing out that "Approximately 163-million U.S.
residents receive fluoridated water" but fails to point out that this
represents over half of those drinking artificially fluoridated water
worldwide. The vast majority of countries do not fluoridate their water, and
yet according to figures readily available on the web site of the World
Health Organization, children's teeth in non-fluoridated industrialized
countries are just as good, if not better, than American children's teeth.
As far as America is concerned the largest survey conducted in the US
indictated a saving of less than one tooth surface out of 128 tooth surfaces
in a child's mouth for children living in fluoridated communities compared
to non-fluoridated ones and even this miniscule difference was not shown to
be statistically significant (Brunelle and Carlos, 1990).

Mr. Talley continues by stating that since 1945 there have been enormous
number of studies which have demonstrated the safety of the practice, and
yet the largest review of these studies todate found not one could be given
a grade A quality rating (McDonagh et al., 2000). To point out just one of
many concerns with the research conducted todate is the almost total absence
of data of fluoride bone levels of the American people. This despite the
fact that we know that 50% of each speck of fluoride consumed each day from
water and other sources concentrates there and that the first symptoms of
fluoride's well documented damage to bone and ligaments is identical to
arthritis (DHHS, 1991). According to the CDC(2002) 1 in 3 Americans are now
suffering from arthritis. We are flying blind on a possible connection to
lifelong exposure to fluoride with this and several other key ailments,
including a possible connection to Alzheimers Disaease (Varner et al, 1998)
and the lowering of IQ
in children (Xiang et al, 2003).

Mr. Talley cites a long list of organizations which support fluoridation,
but fails to point out that this list was highly predictable once the US
Public Health Service gave its premature but enthusiastic support to
fluoridation in 1950, before one trial had been completed. Nor does Mr.
Talley acknowledge that not one of these organizations is prepared to field
someone to defend their position in an open public debate on the matter even
when invited to do so by organizations such as the American College of
Toxicology and the US EPA.

If Mr. Talley doubts this assertion let him find someone to debate the issue
with me. I would be happy to come down to Pinellas County and present my
concerns; concerns, which are based on a careful eight year review of the
scientific literature. Meanwhile, those who are interested in checking some
of the details can review my arguments at
http://www.fluoridealert.org/50reasons.htm

Water fluoridation started in a different age. It is time to follow the lead
of most European countries and put an end to the absurd notion of using the
public water supply to deliver medication, whether individuals agree to the
practice or not. Forcing such a practice on people takes governmental
arrogance to a whole new level, especially when those who support the
measure most vocally are totally incapable of defending the measure on a
public platform. How about it Mr. Talley, can you find someone to debate
with me on this?

Dr. Paul Connett,
Professor of Chemistry,
St. Lawrence University,
Canton, NY 13617
315-379-9200

END Dr. Paul Connett's letter

To keep touch with what is happening in Pinellas County, Fluorida, subscribe
to the Citizens For Safe Water Announcement List at
http://safewater.commercesite.com/

NOTE: I am in OREGON. I hope I haven't embarrassed the Pinellas County
Citizens For Safe Water - or Prof. Connett.

Check out the FUNNY STORY about fluoridation in Fluorida...

See Fluorida Dentists unscientific?

I am SO glad Prof. Connett is making himself available.

I hope the Pinellas County Commissioners bring him in to debate Pick.

The video of that debate could save a LOT of county commissioners nationwide
a LOT of time.

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Copied also to: RAED AL KASEM, DDS who reportedly told Pinellas County
commissioners that fluoridation is opposed by
"uneducated people using illegitimate data."

Raed Al Kasem, DDS
3165 N McMullen Booth Rd Ste A2
Clearwater, FL 33761-2020
Phone: (727)796-2183
via

Copied to: Attorney Paul Beeber, President, New York State Coalition
Opposed to
Fluoridation, Inc., PO Box 263,Old Bethpage, NY 11804

Copied also to:

Pinellas County Commissioners...

;

AS INDICATED ABOVE: ONE Pinellas Commissioner (roughly 15% of the
commission)
voted AGAINST fluoridating: Barbara Sheen Todd.

Finally, my usual public service announcement - it doesn't have a thing to
do with fluoride - except that it also involves health care professionals

usenet groups archive. Search http://groups.google.com for "80 cities have