black baseball pants = softball pants?

Old April 9th 05, 06:48 AM
bizby40

Default black baseball pants = softball pants?

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit annoyed at my son's baseball coach for many
reasons which I might get into later if anyone is interested.
But the one thing I wanted to ask about is this:

Are black baseball pants considered to be "softball
pants?" We get our uniforms next week -- the league
provides a shirt and hat, and you are expected to
provide your own baseball pants. We had a pair
of white pants at one point, but despite bleach and
pre-treating and washing right away, etc., eventually
the mud just wouldn't come out anymore. So when
it came time to get new pants, I got black ones. This
was for my DD last year. She wore them all season
with nary a word from the coach.

So DS's coach is talking about the uniforms, and says,
"I prefer gray pants, but white are okay." And I said,
"How about black?" And he says, "No! No black!
Black pants are softball pants and we're baseball
players!"

He goes on for quite a while about this. Apparently
it's something he feels strongly about. I'm upset because
1) I don't want to buy new pants when we have a
perfectly good pair, and 2) I *like* the easy-to-clean
black pants and don't want to have to go back to
battling the mud again.

I think we should just put DS in the pants we have and
screw the coach. But DH says you don't want to tick
off the coach or it'll be DS who pays, so he says we
should buy the gray ones.

Opinions?

Bizby

Old April 9th 05, 07:36 AM
P. Tierney

"bizby40" wrote in message
[...]

While you have good points, DH has a better point.
Unless you want to orchestrate an upheaval (and that
doesn't work too often, does it?), go along with the
wishes of the coach -- for the sake of your child.

P. Tierney

Old April 9th 05, 12:21 PM
Nikki

bizby40 wrote:

But DH says you don't want to tick
off the coach or it'll be DS who pays, so he says we
should buy the gray ones.

I don't have clue one about the pants but it is hard to argue with this
point :-( I can't imagine DS wants to deal with the fall out unless he
himself feels strongly about taking a stand on the issue.

--
Nikki

Old April 9th 05, 02:06 PM
Rosalie B.

"bizby40" wrote:
snip
Black pants are softball pants and we're baseball
players!"

I looked it up on the internet, and did not find anything definitive,
but softball uniforms seem to be more colorful than baseball uniforms
are. They also often wear shorts.

He goes on for quite a while about this. Apparently
it's something he feels strongly about. I'm upset because
1) I don't want to buy new pants when we have a
perfectly good pair, and 2) I *like* the easy-to-clean
black pants and don't want to have to go back to
battling the mud again.

I wouldn't want to make him wear his sister's uniform.

How about just doing practice in the black pants?

I think we should just put DS in the pants we have and
screw the coach. But DH says you don't want to tick
off the coach or it'll be DS who pays, so he says we
should buy the gray ones.

I think your dh is right about that.

I think black will be very hot - I would not wear black in the sun.
One of my grandsons has uniforms with a black shirt and he plays in
Miami - I think that's a bad idea.

I would prefer grey myself.

I know at least one grandson has white pants, and I think another one
has grey. I've never heard dd complain about keeping them clean
particularly. What do the other mothers (or laundry providers) do?

grandma Rosalie
Old April 9th 05, 04:32 PM
toto

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 01:48:09 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

1) I don't want to buy new pants when we have a
perfectly good pair, and 2) I *like* the easy-to-clean
black pants and don't want to have to go back to
battling the mud again.

Well, I would not want my child in black pants to play
baseball *or* softball in the hot sun. Black absorbs the
heat and can get mighty uncomfortable.

Also, it's pretty expected that baseball uniforms will get
muddy and dirty. Perhaps there is a better detergent for
them then your regular one? Or perhaps they need to
be presoaked as soon as he take them off?

How expensive are the grey or white pants? Perhaps
the black ones can be used as play pants for the winter?

I think we should just put DS in the pants we have and
screw the coach. But DH says you don't want to tick
off the coach or it'll be DS who pays, so he says we
should buy the gray ones.

I won't argue with this. Unless your ds wants the black pants
for some reason, I would not screw the coach. You won't
pay the price but he may.

Opinions?

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old April 9th 05, 07:40 PM
bizby40

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"bizby40" wrote:
He goes on for quite a while about this. Apparently
it's something he feels strongly about. I'm upset because
1) I don't want to buy new pants when we have a
perfectly good pair, and 2) I *like* the easy-to-clean
black pants and don't want to have to go back to
battling the mud again.

I wouldn't want to make him wear his sister's uniform.

Why on earth not? It's not like they're "girl pants".
And she isn't using them anymore.

Old April 9th 05, 07:47 PM
bizby40

wrote:

1) I don't want to buy new pants when we have a
perfectly good pair, and 2) I *like* the easy-to-clean
black pants and don't want to have to go back to
battling the mud again.

Well, I would not want my child in black pants to play
baseball *or* softball in the hot sun. Black absorbs the
heat and can get mighty uncomfortable.

They are very thin and DD did not have a problem with
heat.

Also, it's pretty expected that baseball uniforms will get
muddy and dirty. Perhaps there is a better detergent for
them then your regular one? Or perhaps they need to
be presoaked as soon as he take them off?

That's what I did with the white ones. Major pain, but
it worked until the *one* time that I got too busy and
didn't get to it until the next day. The stains set that
time and never came out again.

How expensive are the grey or white pants? Perhaps
the black ones can be used as play pants for the winter?

I think we should just put DS in the pants we have and
screw the coach. But DH says you don't want to tick
off the coach or it'll be DS who pays, so he says we
should buy the gray ones.

I won't argue with this. Unless your ds wants the black pants
for some reason, I would not screw the coach. You won't
pay the price but he may.

It's not the cost as much as the annoyance factor. The
league doesn't require a specific color, none of the
other coaches we've had have required a specific color.
If he'd said, "I prefer" instead of "you must" I probably
wouldn't even be upset about it.

Anyway, we'll buy the gray ones,and I'll deal with the stains
the best I can.

Bizby

Old April 9th 05, 08:07 PM
Rosalie B.

"bizby40" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
"bizby40" wrote:
He goes on for quite a while about this. Apparently
it's something he feels strongly about. I'm upset because
1) I don't want to buy new pants when we have a
perfectly good pair, and 2) I *like* the easy-to-clean
black pants and don't want to have to go back to
battling the mud again.

I wouldn't want to make him wear his sister's uniform.

Why on earth not? It's not like they're "girl pants".
And she isn't using them anymore.

Well he might be teased (although more for wearing 'softball pants'
probably than that his sister wore them). My ds wore his sister's
hand-me-downs and he got the idea that he wasn't as important. I
don't know exactly what 'girl pants' would be in this context. My
girls often wore boys jeans, but they usually wore out before they
could be passed down.

Your dd might not have complained, but that doesn't mean necessarily
that she didn't have a problem, or that she didn't have a problem and
wasn't really aware that the color of the pants was responsible. It's
not intuitive.

I've seen white and grey and striped white and striped grey, but I
don't recall ever seeing black.'

grandma Rosalie
Old April 9th 05, 08:33 PM
Cathy Kearns

"bizby40" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit annoyed at my son's baseball coach for many
reasons which I might get into later if anyone is interested.
But the one thing I wanted to ask about is this:

Are black baseball pants considered to be "softball
pants?" We get our uniforms next week -- the league
provides a shirt and hat, and you are expected to
provide your own baseball pants. We had a pair
of white pants at one point, but despite bleach and
pre-treating and washing right away, etc., eventually
the mud just wouldn't come out anymore. So when
it came time to get new pants, I got black ones. This
was for my DD last year. She wore them all season
with nary a word from the coach.

I don't have girls or boys that play baseball. But my friends have said the
first year the coaches pull aside the moms and explain about cups and pants
that need to have room for cups. Is it possible he's concerned the black
pants, that may fit your daughter just fine, don't have room for a cup for
your son? Maybe he's not good at communication, and was trying to find a
way not embarrassing to him to get you to buy roomier pants for your son?

I think we should just put DS in the pants we have and
screw the coach. But DH says you don't want to tick
off the coach or it'll be DS who pays, so he says we
should buy the gray ones.

And that's a real good point.

Old April 9th 05, 10:49 PM
bizby40

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
m...

"bizby40" wrote in message
[...]

Well, first of all, DD's pants are just plain old baseball pants
gotten at Dick's Sporting goods. They don't have "girls
baseball pants" and "boys baseball pants". If we'd been
shopping for DS at the time instead of DD, we likely would
have gotten the exact same pair (well, smaller since he was
younger then.)

Second, the coach doesn't know the pants we have were
originally gotten for a girl.

BTW, this is from an e-mail from the coach:
"-FYI FOR PARENTS THE GRAY IS EASIER TO CLEAN -DUE TO THE

VIRGINIA CLAY, IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAN WHITE PANTS"

I agree about the white pants being almost impossible to clean. I just

hope he's right about the gray.

I think we should just put DS in the pants we have and
screw the coach. But DH says you don't want to tick
off the coach or it'll be DS who pays, so he says we
should buy the gray ones.

And that's a real good point.

Grrr. Okay, I've decided to get the gray pants anyway, but
it troubles me to think that so many people accept this as
a possibility. Is that really the kind of person that chooses
to coach 6 year olds? The kind that would pass them over
for the prime positions or bench them just because their
mom didn't get them the right color of pants?

Sheesh!

Bizby