Childless man entering into an existing family situation

Old December 7th 07, 08:57 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Childless man entering into an existing family situation

I'm currently in my mid 40's and have recently started seeing a woman
with two children: a girl aged 10 and a boy aged 13. I have never had
kids nor have I been involved with a woman who has had children so
this is new territory for me. My sister has children and I have
watched her raising them for the last 19 years but this hardly counts
as any true "parenting" experience on my part, although she may be a
resource I can call on periodically for advice.

I know I will likely never be a father to these children but I would
hope to be a good friend. My question to the group is if there is
anyone out there who has entered into a similar situation and can give
share their experiences and give some advice on what kinds of things
I'll likely run into and perhaps some suggestions on dealing with or
preparing for, these situations. If you have any good books to
suggest I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Dave.