Speaking of Sleep...OT

Old March 11th 04, 05:43 PM
Cadie

Default Speaking of Sleep...OT

Maybe some of you can give me ... advice, I guess.

Aries goes to sleep on a good day around 9 or 10 PM. He'll usually
sleep until 10 or 11 in the morning (he wakes up probably a few times
to nurse... but I'm so tired I don't keep count). Then he'll take a
nap around 1-2, some days he'll take an extra nap, depending on what
time he actually woke up, and go to sleep at 9 or 10.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, we're up by 9 AM though, because I have
school at 10, although sometimes he doesn't actually wake up until I
get him to my moms at about a quarter to 10. Tuesday, Thursday, and
the weekend it's the 10 or 11 wake up again.

I'm being told I'm letting him sleep to much at night, that I should
wake him up earlier. "It will cause problems" they say.

Other than the fact that this is working for us... I like to sleep in
late on the days I don't have to get up early. He likes to sleep in
to, unless he decides he'd like to wake up daddy and play on the
weekends.

So I guess I'm asking if this, from experienced parents, sounds OK.
I've learned not to take advice from the older generation in my
family, because rarely are they right (Oh, he'll be fine on 2 % milk
at 3 months, you and your mom were)

*Sigh* I'm still waiting for someone to write the manual. :-)

By the way, Aries is 13 months old, basically exclusively breastfed as
he just throws his food on the floor, and we sleep in together cuddled
up in my bed
:-)

Cadie and Aries

Old March 11th 04, 06:04 PM
nina

I always had my kid sleep on my schedule, so it was late to bed, late to
awaken. It worked for me. As they get older and need to go to school etc,
then its time to start changing bed times..

Old March 11th 04, 06:32 PM
toypup

"Cadie" wrote in message
[...]

If it works for you, don't fix it. That's a rule I live by. Works for me.
Their sleep patterns will change as they grow. Enjoy things while they
last.

Old March 11th 04, 06:38 PM
HollyLewis

I'm being told I'm letting him sleep to much at night, that I should
wake him up earlier. "It will cause problems" they say.

Other than the fact that this is working for us...

The only problems it's going to cause is with getting him to preschool or
school on time in the mornings, assuming you eventually plan to put him in
school. But that's another year or two away, at least, and you can deal with
it then. I don't see any need to change things now if this schedule is working
for you.

I wouldn't wake a sleeping child in the morning without a *very* good reason!
:-) His bedtime is a little later than average, but the total amount of sleep
he's getting seems pretty normal. Whether he sleeps from 10 to 10 or from 8 to
8 is nobody's business but yours.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 12th 04, 06:31 AM
Cadie

Thanks everyone for your words. Not feeling so odd about it now.

I still have about 4 years before I have to worry about him waking for
school, if I worry about it then. I plan on doing preschool at home,
none of them are too appealing here.... and may end up deciding to
homeschool, not sure yet.

Besides, he will wake up, I just like it better sleeping, so I don't
wake him up. :-)

Cadie