shallow latch, fast milk flow -- help!

Old August 17th 06, 06:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
J's Mama

Default shallow latch, fast milk flow -- help!

I've recently switched nursing positions from cradle or cross-cradle to
side-lying, which seems to be more comfortable for both DS and I
(hooray)! My concern now, though, is that DS has started latching on
quite shallowly, and I can't seem to persuade him to do it any other
way. I actually think he would've had a shallow latch before, too, but
when he was in my arms I could control in somewhat (even though I've
read you're not supposed to...).

Based on everything I've read, I don't think the problem is oversupply
per se, but fast milk flow for the entire feeding. My breasts do get
softer at each feeding, and it's clear DS is getting plenty of milk,
but I've always had a tendency toward plugged ducts, and I'm worried
the shallow latch could be making things worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to help DS (and me!) deal
with the milk flow better? I've tried nursing with him practically on
top of me, but he really doesn't seem comfy that way. Would letting his
body turn away from me (not tummy-to-tummy) help? What about nipple
shields? Thanks!

J's Mama

Old August 17th 06, 09:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

J's Mama wrote:
I've recently switched nursing positions from cradle or cross-cradle to
side-lying, which seems to be more comfortable for both DS and I

I'm glad you are both more comfortable. If you are now only nursing
him in the side-lying position, you may want to consider also
continuing to do occasional feedings in the cradle or cross cradle
position. Some babies who are always nursed in the side lying position
refuse to nurse in any other position. This is fine at home, but can
make things difficult if you are out and about.

(hooray)! My concern now, though, is that DS has started latching on
quite shallowly, and I can't seem to persuade him to do it any other
way. I actually think he would've had a shallow latch before, too, but
when he was in my arms I could control in somewhat (even though I've
read you're not supposed to...).

Even in the side lying position, you may be able to pull him in quickly
as he latches on. Your bottom arm can go around (or maybe even under)
his head and back like in the cradle hold. Your top arm can reach over
and hold his back and base of head as in the cross cradle hold. Once
he is latched on well, you may be able to prop him into place with a
small blanket or towel.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to help DS (and me!) deal
with the milk flow better?

When you first have a letdown, if the milk is spraying out to quickly,
you can try latching him off and catching the milk with a burp diaper,
then latching him back on when it slows a bit. This worked well with
my first.

--Betsy

Old August 17th 06, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"J's Mama" wrote and I snipped:

Based on everything I've read, I don't think the problem is oversupply
per se, but fast milk flow for the entire feeding.

I don't know how to help with the rest, but I've heard this called
"overactive letdown." Kellymom has some information on it and says it could
be related to oversupply, but that means that it could not. :-)
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old August 18th 06, 01:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article .com,
"J's Mama" wrote:

My concern now, though, is that DS has started latching on
quite shallowly, and I can't seem to persuade him to do it any other
way. I actually think he would've had a shallow latch before, too, but
when he was in my arms I could control in somewhat (even though I've
read you're not supposed to...).

Of course you should control his latch. It might be a bit more difficult
when side-lying, but you can still get him on properly if you keep a hand
around his shoulders/neck.

Based on everything I've read, I don't think the problem is oversupply
per se, but fast milk flow for the entire feeding. My breasts do get
softer at each feeding, and it's clear DS is getting plenty of milk,
but I've always had a tendency toward plugged ducts, and I'm worried
the shallow latch could be making things worse.

I had exactly this problem (and for the same reason) with DS1, and shallow
latch leads to cracked nipples very quickly. Take him off and put him on ANY
time his latch goes wonky. Be vigilant!

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to help DS (and me!) deal
with the milk flow better? I've tried nursing with him practically on
top of me, but he really doesn't seem comfy that way. Would letting his
body turn away from me (not tummy-to-tummy) help?

Probably not, as if his spine is not straight, neither is his oesophagus or
windpipe.

What about nipple shields? Thanks!

No advantage either.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old August 18th 06, 01:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
J's Mama

Ah, yes -- I've read that about catching the spray in the diaper
before, but actually, I never leak or spray! Funny, perhaps, but true!
I've also sort of tried holding his head in place before, too, but DS
just gets upset and pops off. Thanks for the tip about continuing to
nurse in other positions, though -- I hadn't thought about that!

J's Mama

Old August 18th 06, 01:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
J's Mama

Thanks for the link -- I think some of the principles there are
helpful! I wish the only part of the feeding that was "overactive"
was the let-down -- I think the flow stays fast and furious the whole
time!

J's Mama

Old August 18th 06, 01:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
J's Mama

This makes a lot of sense to me, but DS will actually stop nursing
entirely if he gets too fed up with me unlatching, latching,
unlatching, latching, etc! He's 8-1/2 months now and having solids
three times a day after nursing, so he might just prefer to end the
nursing session and fill up on solids if I'm not careful...!

Old August 18th 06, 09:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

"J's Mama" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hiya

I've recently switched nursing positions from cradle or cross-cradle to
side-lying, which seems to be more comfortable for both DS and I
(hooray)! My concern now, though, is that DS has started latching on
quite shallowly, and I can't seem to persuade him to do it any other
way. I actually think he would've had a shallow latch before, too, but
when he was in my arms I could control in somewhat (even though I've
read you're not supposed to...).

I feed with my arm under DD's head, that way she gets an extra cuddle, and I
can control her latch.... I don't know where you read you shouldn't control
their latch, but to me, it's exactly what you should do - or else your
nipples are going to get very sore!

Based on everything I've read, I don't think the problem is oversupply
per se, but fast milk flow for the entire feeding. My breasts do get
softer at each feeding, and it's clear DS is getting plenty of milk,
but I've always had a tendency toward plugged ducts, and I'm worried
the shallow latch could be making things worse.

I sandwich behind my nipple between the length of my index and middle
fingers when my breasts are full, this seems to get more of it in her mouth.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to help DS (and me!) deal
with the milk flow better? I've tried nursing with him practically on
top of me, but he really doesn't seem comfy that way. Would letting his
body turn away from me (not tummy-to-tummy) help? What about nipple
shields? Thanks!

When DD's tired, no matter what I do, she lays on her back with her head
towards me. No idea about nipple guards, but sandwiching definitely works
for me.

Good luck!

Lucy

J's Mama

Old August 18th 06, 09:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
J's Mama

Thanks for the tip about sandwiching -- I think that's going to help
some. As far as where I heard about not controling baby's head after
latching on, it seemed like a lot of the latch-on resources on
kellymom.com implied that was the best way to go:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html
For example, here's a link from that page about side-lying nursing:
http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm
"It's important not to pull the baby in by the upper back b/c that
often means the baby's head will flex too far back and the baby won't
be comfy or be able to swallow well."
"DO NOT prop the baby with anything behind the baby's head. Allow the
baby freedom of movement of his head so he can move away if he is done
bf or if his nose gets blocked."
Anyway, like I said, if I really try to control his head too much, DS
just gets mad and quits nursing...!

Old August 18th 06, 09:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

"J's Mama" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

When I'm side-lying, I have DD's head on my upper arm, just in front of my
elbow, with my forearm going down her back, my hand being on her nappy - tho
obviously your DS will be bigger than her! To my mind, that's pretty much
the same position as if I was feeding her on my lap. In regard to the nose
getting blocked, as I have fairly big boobs, which obviously aren't helped
when their really full, the sandwiching helps with this too.IMO, my upper
arm is longer than the depth of her head, so she still has ample room to
spit the nipple out when done The arm also allows for more gently head
tilting. Make sure you have a good pillow under your head tho - neckache
sucks!

Good luck

Lucy x