Is rice milk suitable for baby starting solids?

Old August 18th 06, 12:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

Default Is rice milk suitable for baby starting solids?

To me, it tastes much closer to breast milk than cows milk. The only concern
I would have is it has salt listed as an ingredient. DD will be six months
old in a week, and I think I'll try her on solids then -- she seems keen.

Thanks,
Liz

Old August 18th 06, 01:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
"Liz" wrote:

To me, it tastes much closer to breast milk than cows milk. The only concern
I would have is it has salt listed as an ingredient. DD will be six months
old in a week, and I think I'll try her on solids then -- she seems keen.

Your baby will have had quite a variety of flavours already as food flavours
do go through the milk, so there's no need to worry about tastes being
unacceptable. Baby taste buds are weird anyway. But when you introduce your
baby to solids, you are introducing them to *eating*. The idea is to get them
into chewing. I'm not sure rice milk is worth bothering with, if you look at
it that way.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old August 18th 06, 02:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"Liz" wrote:
To me, it tastes much closer to breast milk than cows milk. The only
concern I would have is it has salt listed as an ingredient. DD will be
six months old in a week, and I think I'll try her on solids then -- she
seems keen.

I don't think there's any reason to give your DD a liquid when starting
solids because it's about learning to swallow something with texture. I
assume you'll still be breastfeeding, so she will get all the nourishment
and hydration from breastmilk for a while yet. If you think she should have
a little something to wash down the solids as she begins to eat more, I
would go with a little cup of water.

HTH,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old August 18th 06, 02:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

I would think to treat it like cow's milk and not give it until after 12
months. Remember baby's palate isn't mature like ours and just because it
tastes bad to us does not necessarily mean it tastes bad to them. You can
start to give a sippy of water with solids and continue breastmilk until a
year and then you can start her on cow's milk if you like.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 18th 06, 04:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Rice milk is fine to use, and can certainly be used in the place of
cow's milk (except, of course, that it has no protein or fat), but
neither kind of milk is necessary if your baby is still nursing a lot.
As you gradually introduce solids and wean from the breast (a process
that can take as little as a few months or as long as a few years),
you'll need to increase the variety of liquids he drinks as well as the
variety of solids he eats.

If you're using rice milk, do get the enriched kind (calcium and
vitamins).

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old August 18th 06, 05:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Liz writes:
: To me, it tastes much closer to breast milk than cows milk. The only concern
: I would have is it has salt listed as an ingredient. DD will be six months
: old in a week, and I think I'll try her on solids then -- she seems keen.

: Thanks,
: Liz

You baby is almost 6 months old, and has not started solids. I cannot be
sure, but since you are on a breastfeeding group, I assume you are
breastfeeding. The best thing to do is keep breastfeeding after you introduce
solids, for at least another 18 months (recommended by WHO and many
pediatric organizations). I think the only viable substitute for breastmilk
for a 6 months old would be formula.

Larry
Old August 18th 06, 06:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Liz wrote:

To me, it tastes much closer to breast milk than cows milk. The only concern
I would have is it has salt listed as an ingredient. DD will be six months
old in a week, and I think I'll try her on solids then -- she seems keen.

Why do you want to give her rice milk? If you
want a liquid for her to drink, use water. If
you want to give her solids, give her solids.

-- Anita --
Old August 18th 06, 11:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
ink.net...
Liz wrote:

To me, it tastes much closer to breast milk than cows milk. The only
concern I would have is it has salt listed as an ingredient. DD will be
six months old in a week, and I think I'll try her on solids then -- she
seems keen.

Why do you want to give her rice milk? If you
want a liquid for her to drink, use water. If
you want to give her solids, give her solids.

-- Anita --

I guess the main reason is that the books I've read say to mix rice cereal
with breast milk or water. I tried expressing breast milk yesterday and
couldn't get a single drop, so I wondered if the rice milk would give a
better flavour than just water. And because I've got two packs of rice milk
that I'm not using myself... :-)

Liz

Old August 19th 06, 12:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Liz wrote:
"Irrational Number" wrote in message

Why do you want to give her rice milk? If you
want a liquid for her to drink, use water. If
you want to give her solids, give her solids.

I guess the main reason is that the books I've read say to mix rice cereal
with breast milk or water. I tried expressing breast milk yesterday and
couldn't get a single drop, so I wondered if the rice milk would give a
better flavour than just water. And because I've got two packs of rice milk
that I'm not using myself... :-)

Oh, well, if it's just to mix cereal with,
well, I really don't have any problem with
that (and you're aware that there is salt and
probably sugar in it). As long as you don't
use it as a substitute for breastmilk!!!

-- Anita --
Old August 19th 06, 12:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

: Liz wrote:
:
[...]

Ah, that is a different matter. I think it would be ok to mix with
cereal, although I am no fan of baby cereal. I much prefer pureed
vegetables, such as squash.

:-)
Larry