Milk & Gluten Intolerance - what can we feed our baby?

Old March 3rd 04, 11:26 PM
Andrew Kidd

Default Milk & Gluten Intolerance - what can we feed our baby?

Hi,

We hope that someone can point us in the right direction as we're starting
to run out of ideas of what we can feed our little girl.

Our 5 month old daughter, Rebekah, seems to be both milk and gluten
intolerant, which my wife has discovered by keeping a vary careful diary of
what both she and Rebekah have eaten. Nettie (my wife) is still
breastfeeding, but trying to wean Rebekah onto solids, but the problem is
further hampered by the fact that Rebekah also suffers with reflux. Also the
poor lamb also has a mild skin condition, which we've seen elsewhere
accompanying the above.

Let me just clarify what we mean by we think that she is intolerant. Rebekah
has long bouts of screaming with tummy-ache, has green & smelly poohs and
vomits small amounts frequently (similar to reflux sick). Her eczema started
off looking like a viral rash, that went on for 3 weeks. Once Nettie dropped
milk from her diet, this started to clear from her tummy, but needed cream
from the doctor to treat the creases in her arms & legs. Finally, Rebekah
will have a restless night, waking frequently, but again, since Nettie
dropped both milk & gluten from her own diet, Rebekah now sleeps 10-11 hours
through the night.

Rebekah doesn't like food from jars, and has been gagging on liquidised
fresh fruit (we're not sure if it's the taste or texture that she doesn't
like). The best thing that Nettie has so far found is the dry powder foods.
But the problem we have is that they're either milk or gluten free, only 1
so far has been free from both.

Menu suggestions anyone?

Many thanks for taking the time & trouble to read this.

Andy & Nettie

Old March 3rd 04, 11:38 PM
Holden

Honestly, the research data is most confused. I sat in a lecture
at the World Asthma Conference about food allergy, and the
information is confounding, as papers are pointing to contrary points.
Firstly, I that typically the data points to keeping your child off of food
for as long as possible. As difficult, and against our current North
American
culture, the child should likely stay on the teat for another 1 1/2 years
plus.

Truly, I would recommend booking an appointment with an allergist.

Depending on the atopy of the parents, this may lead to a rice diet or
staying on the breast long term.

Old March 4th 04, 12:04 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

First of all, it may not be gluten intolerance. It may be a wheat
allergy, instead, along with a milk allergy. Both of these may happen
to infants.

I'd suggest, if your wife can stand it, that she continue the wheat-free
and milk-free diet, and continue to nurse. She should continue to nurse
**without solids in the diet** for at least seven months, and then start
to add solids, using one of the sequences for the "allergic child" (see
my web site for a link) while continuing to nurse for as long as
possible.

There is some evidence that this approach will mitigate your child's
allergies in the long term, although it's not a "silver bullet" that
will heal everything.

My web site has a lot of excellent resources, including support groups,
for parents in your situation. The no-milk listerv is very valuable, as
is the POFAK group (parents of food allergic kids).

In short, remove solids from your baby's diet at once. Go back to
exclusive nursing. Five months is on the young side for solids
introduction anyway, and VERY young for an allergic child. When you do
introduce solids, add no more than one new solid at a time, and at
intervals of at least three days between them. That will help you out
in case your baby proves allergic to even more foods.

Do consult with an allergist who is familiar with infant allergies.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old March 4th 04, 02:05 PM
Mark Probert-March 4, 2004

"Andrew Kidd" wrote in message
Hi,

We hope that someone can point us in the right direction as we're starting
to run out of ideas of what we can feed our little girl.

Our 5 month old daughter,

A 5 month old is being fed milk and gluten based foods? Something seems a
bit strange here.

Old March 4th 04, 07:47 PM
Irrational Number

Andrew Kidd wrote:

[...]
Let me just clarify what we mean by we think that she is intolerant. Rebekah
has long bouts of screaming with tummy-ache, has green & smelly poohs and
vomits small amounts frequently (similar to reflux sick). Her eczema started
off looking like a viral rash, that went on for 3 weeks. Once Nettie dropped
milk from her diet, this started to clear from her tummy, but needed cream
from the doctor to treat the creases in her arms & legs. Finally, Rebekah
will have a restless night, waking frequently, but again, since Nettie
dropped both milk & gluten from her own diet, Rebekah now sleeps 10-11 hours
through the night.

Pillbug was doing similar things, crying, waking frequently,
and fussy in the evenings. When I went dairy-free (not
just milk-free), is much less fussy and wakes up twice a
night.

Rebekah doesn't like food from jars, and has been gagging on liquidised
fresh fruit (we're not sure if it's the taste or texture that she doesn't
like). The best thing that Nettie has so far found is the dry powder foods.
But the problem we have is that they're either milk or gluten free, only 1
so far has been free from both.

Are you talking about pureed fruit? What fruits have
you tried? Have you tried vegetables? Pillbug has
had apple, cooked pear, little bit of carrot, sweet
potato, rice cereal, oatmeal, barley, jarred prune,
zucchini, papaya. He showed sensitivities to mango
and peas.

Menu suggestions anyone?

I think 5 months is a bit early for solids. Especially
because you know that she has sensitivities to foods
via your wife. We started Pillbug at 6 months, with one
new food at a time for 4-5 days to check for reactions.

I'd suggest you stop all solids for a month, then slowly
introduce foods again, one at a time. Do rice cereal for
a week, then try banana. Only after a month did we add
a second meal each day. Take it very slowly.

-- Anita --

Old March 4th 04, 11:40 PM
Kathy Sym

Have you tried a powered formula called Neutramogen (sp?). I used this
(many years ago), when my baby became allergic to milk formulas and then to
soybean formulas.

Old March 8th 04, 02:06 PM
Mark Probert-March 7, 2004

"No Way" wrote in message

Andrew Kidd wrote in message
Hi,

We hope that someone can point us in the right direction as we're

starting
to run out of ideas of what we can feed our little girl.

Our 5 month old daughter, Rebekah, seems to be both milk and gluten
intolerant,

It is called breast milk

Did anyone ever tell you that you have an uncanny grasp of the obvious?

BTW, no one has yet explained why a *5* month old is on milk and gluten type
products. Any ideas?

Old March 8th 04, 06:26 PM
Holden

"Cadie" wrote in message
No one ever said that the *5* month old WAS gettnig milk and gluten
type products herself. She was getting them through the breastmilk,
and mom cut those out of her own diet, so baby was no longer getting
them through the breastmilk.

"Rebekah, seems to be both milk and gluten intolerant, which my wife
has discovered by keeping a vary careful diary of what both she and
Rebekah have eaten. Nettie (my wife) is still breastfeeding,
but trying to wean Rebekah onto solids

It is open to interpretation -- but clearly the kid is eating food, as

per the original posters 'jars of food' comment.